Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Cox_ba12

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anybody's flying with Brodak 049?
by fps60 Today at 3:35 am

» Half-A experiences at CL Clubs
by Yabby Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Cox pt19 engine mount
by getback Yesterday at 12:16 pm

» piper l-4j wit cessna 150 wing miss monica tee dee .051 now
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:25 am

» Conquest Wanted
by 1Bad67 Yesterday at 8:43 am

» Pit Bull Terrier -
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:14 am

» Rustolium spray paint.
by Oldenginerod Yesterday at 4:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2021)
by balogh Yesterday at 1:18 am

» Jim Walker U-Reely and a Cox connection?
by rsv1cox Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:34 pm

» Jim Walker "Firebrand"...It Flys !!!!!
by Kim Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 pm

» What a friend gave me.
by batjac Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:18 pm

» Who made this throttle?
by davidll1984 Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2021
balogh's

"Little Red Rooster"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Empty

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Choose the next engine of the month!

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 10 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 36

Poll closed

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Empty Re: **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016)

Post  Mudhen Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:49 am

How I got the engine…
I met Dale Kirn in 1992 while running an errand for a friend. I was to meet with Dale to pick up an Aurora B-25 and ship it to Texas.
From that first visit we developed a friendship.

Dale's garage was the coolest. Every time I visited he had something new to show me. At the time he was restoring/ building several models
for the Victor Stanzel museum in Texas. I saw firsthand the extraordinary skill he developed for model building. (I wish I had my IPhone!)
It would take pages to describe the items from his past that he shared with me. His garage was a museum rather than a place to park a car.
In fact it was packed with boxes, so a car was out of the question. I used to refer to his garage as the “hobby shop of history.”

At the time I was new to collecting. Dale, knowing my growing interest in Cox began sharing with me some rare engines that he collected over the years.
Among them was this Space Bug. As my interest grew, so too did my fascination with prototype/experimental products. To me they were more than something to put on a shelf.
The items actually gave you a glimpse into the minds and talent it took to reach the prototype stage, and eventually production.
Seeing the ideas take physical shape, the inventiveness, the ability to overcome difficulties, the boldness to step out, and the hand-made precision with which they were fashioned.
All these things enthralled me. The Space Bug was a perfect glimpse into the Thimble Drome minds.
As Esther Z. Robin, author of the article, “The Man Who Never Quit,” had observed, ‘This time his [Roy’s] reasoning bordered on the radical.
Cox’s decision was to suspend production in order to devote a year to research and development. His goal was to produce a low priced engine-powered airplane,
[The TD-1,] which would appeal the hobbyist and the toy industry, thereby broadening his market. The final result was a high performance engine
with interchangeable parts which fit in the palm of your hand.’” All that history was in a tiny little box, in a tiny little garage, in Anaheim California.

I decided to “step out” with Dale. I made an open-ended proposition. I asked him that if he decided to sell any of these products would he at least consider an offer from me.
He agreed. Sometime later he asked if I was interested in the Space Bug. I put a big smile on my face and answered, “Yes!”
Our tradition was to sit across from each other and “negotiate.” It wasn’t haggling per se. Dale knew the minimum he wanted.
He asked me if I had a price in mind. “Yes…do you?” “Yes,” he said. “What’s your number,” he asked. I said, “Seven fifty.” He said,” Well I had three fifty, but I like your number better.”
So I joyfully paid him $750.00 and have been the proud owner ever since. To me it’s worth so much more.
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Empty Re: **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016)

Post  KariFS Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:17 am

That was a great story mud. Especially liked the part about "negotiations" lol!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum