Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Cox_ba12

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Any ideas for a TD 020 muffler?
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:23 am

» Contest - Contest - Contest
by MauricioB Yesterday at 9:58 pm

» Fall S.M.A.L.L. "Super Sunday"
by NEW222 Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Contest - Contest - Contest Version 2.0 Big Brother
by robot797 Yesterday at 3:42 pm

» The resurrection of the frankenplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 12:57 pm

» Tank Cleaning and an Old Rant from my Youth
by getback Yesterday at 8:17 am

» Which teedee will perform the best?
by getback Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Carl Goldberg Shoestring
by NEW222 Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:50 pm

» Big Brother
by NEW222 Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:46 pm

» Home made fuel nipple for COX Tee Dee RC carb
by balogh Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:24 pm

» COX Me 109 Super Stunter -Balsa replica build - V2 /2020
by getback Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:49 am

» DH Motores .45 Engine
by EXModelEngines Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:57 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2021
MauricioB's

"Babe Bee .049 r/c"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Empty

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Choose the next engine of the month!

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 10 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 36

Poll closed

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Empty Re: **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016)

Post  Mudhen Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:49 am

How I got the engine…
I met Dale Kirn in 1992 while running an errand for a friend. I was to meet with Dale to pick up an Aurora B-25 and ship it to Texas.
From that first visit we developed a friendship.

Dale's garage was the coolest. Every time I visited he had something new to show me. At the time he was restoring/ building several models
for the Victor Stanzel museum in Texas. I saw firsthand the extraordinary skill he developed for model building. (I wish I had my IPhone!)
It would take pages to describe the items from his past that he shared with me. His garage was a museum rather than a place to park a car.
In fact it was packed with boxes, so a car was out of the question. I used to refer to his garage as the “hobby shop of history.”

At the time I was new to collecting. Dale, knowing my growing interest in Cox began sharing with me some rare engines that he collected over the years.
Among them was this Space Bug. As my interest grew, so too did my fascination with prototype/experimental products. To me they were more than something to put on a shelf.
The items actually gave you a glimpse into the minds and talent it took to reach the prototype stage, and eventually production.
Seeing the ideas take physical shape, the inventiveness, the ability to overcome difficulties, the boldness to step out, and the hand-made precision with which they were fashioned.
All these things enthralled me. The Space Bug was a perfect glimpse into the Thimble Drome minds.
As Esther Z. Robin, author of the article, “The Man Who Never Quit,” had observed, ‘This time his [Roy’s] reasoning bordered on the radical.
Cox’s decision was to suspend production in order to devote a year to research and development. His goal was to produce a low priced engine-powered airplane,
[The TD-1,] which would appeal the hobbyist and the toy industry, thereby broadening his market. The final result was a high performance engine
with interchangeable parts which fit in the palm of your hand.’” All that history was in a tiny little box, in a tiny little garage, in Anaheim California.

I decided to “step out” with Dale. I made an open-ended proposition. I asked him that if he decided to sell any of these products would he at least consider an offer from me.
He agreed. Sometime later he asked if I was interested in the Space Bug. I put a big smile on my face and answered, “Yes!”
Our tradition was to sit across from each other and “negotiate.” It wasn’t haggling per se. Dale knew the minimum he wanted.
He asked me if I had a price in mind. “Yes…do you?” “Yes,” he said. “What’s your number,” he asked. I said, “Seven fifty.” He said,” Well I had three fifty, but I like your number better.”
So I joyfully paid him $750.00 and have been the proud owner ever since. To me it’s worth so much more.
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016) - Page 2 Empty Re: **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (August 2016)

Post  KariFS Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:17 am

That was a great story mud. Especially liked the part about "negotiations" lol!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum