Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Wed May 08, 2024 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster ! Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection Begins!!

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Empty Re: My Swap-Meet Ringmaster ! Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection Begins!!

Post  Kim Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:27 pm

"What Stink????...ah don't smell no stink'n stink !!!!"

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 38_10

Last edited by Kim on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Empty Re: My Swap-Meet Ringmaster ! Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection Begins!!

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:33 pm

...wow, i can smell the dope just looking at it, cool!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Kim wrote:"What Stink...ah don't smell no stink'n stink !!!!"

I never smelled a dope I didn't like.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:...wow, i can smell the dope just looking at it, cool!

MAYBE FOR YOU !!! I JUST GOT IN A FIGHT WITH A PURPLE DUST BUNNY !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:55 pm

it'll sand out!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 pm

are you gonna reshoot the whole plane? change color?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:are you gonna reshoot the whole plane? change color?

Eventually, I figure to recover the wing (really OUGHT to go ahead and do that now, but I just feel like patching!), and try to duplicate the colors of the fuse as closely as possible.
She ain't gonna be no Prom Queen, but hopefully a good flyer...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Now kids...don't try this at home !

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 41_10

I was so ragged...people used to call me "Patches" !

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 42_10

OK...that's it...I'm starting to hear Steppenwulf...and the radio ain't even on ! Time to cure the dope...and let him go to bed !!!

Good night America...and all you other people too !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 pm

My kind of magic carpet there! I rather miss using dope.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:03 am

Yeah,

I'm gonna wish I'd just recovered the whole wing while I was at it...just got fixated on saving the builder's original work. Probably hit it again this evening, and see if I can get this puppy going!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Well done,
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Empty As the Ringmaster Turns....

Post  Kim Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Beaten into submission after accidentally puncturing the remaining original silkspan on the Ringmaster, I cleared out a bigger area and got out all of my covering stuff. The Super is now getting a new layer of silkspan all around.

Also took a patch of the original silkspan to work and had one of the girls match it up to the Brodak chart. So now, I'm clear coating and waiting on a Brodak order of "Caribbean Turquoise" and "Aeronca Orange" !

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 1_164

While the silkspan and dope was flying, I figured I might as well ALSO start covering my Uncle Wayne's Goldberg Buster. So the Skunk Works REALLY smells like airplanes now !

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 2_115

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 3_96
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:39 am

It's for the best, otherwise you would have been chasing punctures over the whole wing. Kinda like ripping a band-aid off. Very Happy

Looks great though. Kind of makes me want to give silkspan a go. Kind of........
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:51 am

Ron, I use silkspan all the time. I didn't show you , but on those combat foamies I was flying they had silkspan under the clear covering. Amazing strength can be gained with little weight penalty. On foam, I thin white glue to the consistency of milk and use a sponge brush to apply the glue water mix. I cut the pieces of silkspan and mist them lightly with water and lay over the glue. Silkspan can be applied to wood structures the same way. My father didn't allow dope in the house early on and this is how I applied it. I would dope the silkspan afterwards outside of course. I do remember him flipping out over the smell. Keeping the wood only dampened enough for attachment is key as you don't want to introduce warps into the material. I sometimes aided the drying with a hair dryer and I could warp the pieces manually if needed. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:45 am

Maybe I'll give it a go Ken. Last time I used tissue/dope was around 1984 or so when I built a stick tissue Mew Gull rubber powered plane. I do remember the smell permeating throughout the house. Luckily for me my father was more tolerant than yours. Had I known about the white glue I would have probably used that as it was cheaper!

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:04 am

cribbs74 wrote:It's for the best, otherwise you would have been chasing punctures over the whole wing. Kinda like ripping a band-aid off. Very Happy

Looks great though. Kind of makes me want to give silkspan a go. Kind of........

Thanks Ron ! Yeah. Sometimes, I can get a major case of "Stupid", but it's usually short lived ! I thought it'd be great for the old plane to fly with at least some of it's original glory but the covering had the strength and texture of a dried leaf.

Also, if anyone can point me to a source of silkspan, I'd appreciate it. I think I bought the last of Sig's medium and heavy, and couldn't find it listed on Mr. Brodak's site.

I'm sure most people see it as an archaic covering method, but for me, it's as much a part of the hobby as flying the silly things, and when I finally finish one, there's a lot of "ME" instilled in the plane (for better or worse!).

I cut the silkspan to about an inch oversize, and lay the sheet in a cookie pan of water, while I clear dope the perimeter of the frame. Once the dope is dry, I blot the silkspan on my pants leg (yeah, but I dry out quick) so that it's just damp, lay it across the frame, drawing it out just so any major wrinkles are gone, and dope it's outer edges. On lighter frames, I do both sides as closely together as possible to minimize warping, sometimes wrapping the silkspan around in one piece, if the planform of the wing allows.

With the Ringmaster and Buster's bridge-like wings, I didn't worry too much about warps, but just hustled along anyway.

Once it's dry, I hit it with coat of full-strength clear to lock everything down. That cures overnight, then I keep clear coating 'till I get a reasonable shine, finally ending with color and masking on whatever. I also ofter cover the solid wood structures with a layer of light weight silkspan, which masks my assorted gouges and missteps! I've done this for decades, and it allows me to instill some REAL individual expression in my flying machines!

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Mud_da24

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Mud_da25

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Strike16

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Strike17

Sorry for the novel...the Folgers has me cranked up already!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:23 am

I don't see it as archaic at all. Iron on finishes may be tough and quicker, but you can get really excellent finishes with Silkspan that are much more realistic looking.

There is a small Hobby Shop in York PA that has a good supply of Silkspan and Aero gloss dope still on it's shelves. I would give him a call and see if he will box it up and ship it too you.

Sweitzer's Hobby Depot
(717) 843-8321
935 E Market St, York, PA 17403

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:09 am

Brodak still lists silkspan available by sheets --- search his site for silkspan.

Penn Valley Hobby Center (http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/) also has it available by sheets, listed under Rubber/Freeflight finishing supplies. SIG has medium weight listed, but their site has no OOS indicator.

It's also still listed with some of the bigger hobby retailers, but they want to sell it in 20 sheet packs -- kind'a pricey, but I'm also seeing it out of stock in a lot of places. Now might be the time to get it while you can.

It is apparently being sold under the K&S brand --- it may have always been K&S, but I don't think so.

Last edited by andrew on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Empty An insight into Veterans' Day..............................

Post  SuperDave Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:20 am

Prior to World War I there was no national recognition of those who had served our country. Folling the conclusion of WWI an "Armistice Day" was established on the belief that WWI had been "the war to end all wars" and that "the world had been made safe for democracy".

The WWI Armistice proved to be illusionary as very soon facism was on the march regardless of the newly created League of Nations. IIRC it was in 1921 that the national observance became one to honor veterans rather the the Armistice that ended WWI.

This theme is repeated throughout human history.

Edit: MODERATOR: Please post this in a separate thread as I did originally. Thanks.

Last edited by SuperDave on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks Guys !! Will follow-up on all of these and check Sig and Brodaks again !!!!!

Got close to 20 mph winds across the hill this morning so, it's gonna be a Doping/Test-Run kinda day !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Kim is awesome getting the Sterling directions scanned and emailed to me.

Thank you

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Empty ringmaster did you score that on columbus craigslist it looks like one i just saw on there

Post  michael1963 Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 pm

pkrankow wrote:I scored that exact plane, in red, with similar condition issues off Craigslist a few weeks ago. Do you know of a set of plans? I have not located anything identifying it, or helping me with repairs.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Air210
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/air210.jpg

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 Air310
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/air310.jpg

I have the inboard wing mostly stripped already, and put it in the garage because it has a funk to it, and I had other more pressing tasks needing done. The seller said it had a .35 on it, I think he said Fox, but I don't remember for sure.

My plane has all kinds of issues because it has been crashed before and the controls are not free moving. I need to finish stripping it down and evaluate the situation.

As for oil soaked wood corn starch and rubbing alcohol will draw oil out. (Some other concoctions are supposed to work better, but I haven't tried them). The alcohol floats the oil out and the corn starch absorbs the oil so it can't soak back in. Takes several treatments to clean saturated wood though. (yes, messy PIA)

Your plane is a much nicer looking example. I was planing on peeling the silkspan and leaving the remnants on the ribs, covering with monokote and go fly. I WILL crash and I know it.

Phil
michael1963
michael1963
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes, this was listed in the Columbus Craigslist. The guy lives just a few miles from me. He also added a partially finished but incomplete voodoo-like wing when I said I intend to fly it.

I am not sure where I will fly it though. There are some fields by the public schools and some other places have lots of open space. My yard is big enough that I have a 90 ft circle of sorts between my house and the neighbors...it is about 1/3 over his lot and very downhill on the property line so watch your step, 1/2a only.

I have updated pictures of my progress...but having difficulties with the card reader. I'll get them on here soon.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:59 pm

My pics when I got the airplanes, and the progress when I febreezed it. Wings are straight, it appears odor free, and when I get covering film I will bring it in and cover it. I may or may not do some sanding, and the remaining silk span clinging on does not bother me since this is not going to be a show plane, but a glorified trainer.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 11050210
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/11050210.jpg

This is a voodoo like wing that needs lots done to it. It also has an enlarged and weakened motor mount so I am unsure what to do with it.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 2 10260210
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/10260210.jpg

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Hey Phil,

You may want to try something to seal up that area behind the engine as much as possible. I know it's already been hit with castor, but it might extend the plane's life a good ways if you could block it off. I'm a bit amazed that it was left open the way it is...perhaps to keep kit sales going? I think I'm going to permanently bond the hatch to the fuse, with the fuel tank area sealed, and widen the part of it that wraps around the engine to allow it's removal.

I remember my Uncle Wayne's Ringmaster losing it's entire nose, with the engine rocketing off into the weeds. He was able to fix it somehow, but I'm betting it was caused by castor-rot !

Later !!!

Last edited by Kim on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next