Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Cox_ba12

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Today at 2:32 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 2:01 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:32 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 11:52 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster ! Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection Begins!!

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Empty Re: My Swap-Meet Ringmaster ! Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection Begins!!

Post  pkrankow Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:09 pm

Mine is well painted in that area, even on the inside. I might need to pull the tank to replace the hoses, since they are hard and crusty. I can probably cover the hatch seams with monokote and have the best of both worlds as a result: easy access with minimal effort needed, and sealed against exhaust and fuel.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Empty Goop Control !!!

Post  Kim Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:58 pm

While the shop was warming up this morning, I decided to bore a "Goop Chute" in the nose block under the Ringmaster's engine. The original plan makes no allowance to rid this trough-like of area of castor oil, so I'm arraigning it to dump out the bottom.

Alongside the same subject, there is nothing to keep castor from blowing back all the way to the gear plate, so I'm gonna have to cut the top hatch into two pieces and permanently glue the rear part of it to the body, epoxying in a full bulkhead behind the engine.

I'd like to have it ready to rock this weekend, but it's more likely going to be the next one at least.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 7_38

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 6_46

Wayne's Wittman Buster is also getting doped up, and coming along nicely, so we ought to have a couple classics turning circles before too long !

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 8_36

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Empty Re: My Swap-Meet Ringmaster ! Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection Begins!!

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Don't sell yourself short! Knock it out Kim. World step aside! I got paint and dope to do!

I really hope you can video that thing. It's a beautiful model. The Buster too!

At least get pictures of it all dirty. Wink

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Empty Castor soaked balsa

Post  jhaye Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Best thing to remove castor from balsa is a product called K2R, it's in a spray can and you can buy it at Ace hardware. Kinda pricey, around 8 bucks a can. Works great though, spray it on the affected areas and then wipe it away after it turns white when it dries out. Two or three applications and the oil is gone, will help with the stinky smell too. Be warned!!!! do it out in the garage, wife was [bleep] when I used it near the house.

Jim Hayes
AMA 988835
jhaye
jhaye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks Ron!

Well, I AM gonna stay after it, but I got other spinning plates to tend to that I've neglected for a couple weeks.

I GOT to go visit my shooting bud, Ed, who is laid up in the veterans hospital in St.Louis, and I haven't checked in on my Uncle Wayne for three weeks...so...the HHR is gonna keep the roads warm this weekend! I MIGHT be able to swerve up to the Decatur Swap Meet on my run to see ED (that's quite a swerve...with a 100+ mile radius!)

I figure to hide out on the hill all of next week, and MAYBE have myself two flying machines by that next weekend. My social life may be shutting down, but I AM getting excited at the prospect of getting these two oldsters in the air. !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:08 pm

The Ringmaster gets it's final coats of clear. The next time you see it...she'll have some color ! (Hopefully a fair match with the original paint!)

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 9_010
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:08 am

A concession to pavement flying : The Ringmaster gets a tailwheel !

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 10_21
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:32 am

Classy fix.

Being lazy, I probably would have just added a wire skid, but the tailwheel looks a lot better.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:58 am

There ya go, you just solved my problem for me. I need skids on the re-Bean's booms to protect the control horn. I was pondering the best way to attach them. My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Idea Sew them on and slather with epoxy.

andrew wrote:Classy fix.

Being lazy, I probably would have just added a wire skid, but the tailwheel looks a lot better.
The wheel sounds better landing on pavement too. I always hated that clackity dragging sound that betrayed the realism of the model and its flight.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Nice tail wheel setup. I might have to think on that.

So on the way back from vacation I stopped by the LHS since it is sorta on the way home from the airport and spent the last of my vacation mad cash on a roll of red ultracote and yellow monokote. I need the monokote to match my jumping bean, and this ammonia activation sounds pretty nifty so I am going to shoot for matching trim as the original dope.

Speaking of dope I only have my jar of TiO2 loaded dope that is now flat white for fuel proofing. I knew I forgot something. (fresh jar of clear dope) The wife and daughter were in the car so I did not have time to hang out and browse.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:02 pm

pkrankow wrote:...this ammonia activation sounds pretty nifty so I am going to shoot for matching trim as the original dope...
They say... you know, them that know everything... that Windex brand regular is the best for applying Monokote overlays. It should stick on top of any type of shrink type covering. On my latest project I traced the edges of the flame overlays with clear fingernail polish since it had so many pointy edges that could lift up. But on my previous job, the day after the glue had set, I just traced the edges with an acetone wet Q-tip. I don't know if it helped or not but so far, no lifting. And it's been flown and tested pretty well now. They said it would work.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Bump --

Hey, Kim --

How's the Buster and Ringmaster coming along. The weather's still holding on this side of the river, so I'm guessing you should still have some good days to get those badboys into the air.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:06 pm

andrew wrote:Bump --

Hey, Kim --

How's the Buster and Ringmaster coming along. The weather's still holding on this side of the river, so I'm guessing you should still have some good days to get those badboys into the air.

Yo Andrew!

Gonna try to get some more dope on them tomorrow. Buster still needs another dose of clear, but the Super is ready for me to shoot color at him.

Had a busy week, with overtime keeping me here 'till dark on several days...on the bright side, we've moved enough kerosine fill a small lake! I just now got Happydad's dragonfly clunk in the mail, and the Lazy Bee going and the rebuild on Patrick's Skyray started. Tomorrow will be "Shop Day" unless the wind gives us a break and we get to fly !

Yeah, we've had some great days this past week, but things haven't lined up well for me to take advantage of them! So...I've been compensating by buying all manner of stuff from the internet !!!!!

There shall be more photos shortly!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Between my neighbor (Mr.ARF-dressed-as-close-to-scale-as-possible) and a number of the people here, I tried making the wings look original with the yellow burst detail

I can honestly say it is the best job of decorating using film that I have ever done...although only because I never really tried decorating using film before.

I used Ultracote to skin the wings, and yellow Monokote for the detail put down with ammonia spray. I couldn't find Windex so I mixed 1:4 laundry/household sudsy ammonia and water. It seems to be doing the job. I'll iron them down tomorrow, it has blue painters tape keeping them from sliding.

Pictures after I finish ironing.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:18 am

All good Phil, always keen to learn
Ways to keep the sticky stuff stuck.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:35 am

For those that aren't aware, Ultracote's adhesive doesn't activate using the Windex method like Monokote does. In addition, Ultrakote is a low temp covering. It does have a higher shrink rate that Monokote. The two products tend to have a tug of war match going on. Ironing Monokote over Ultracote is something I would be careful in doing. It will work but Monokote really needs a higher temp to stick down correctly. I would just make sure that the underlying Ultracote doesn't shrink back especially near the wing root where it meets the fuse. The majority of iron on users including myself seem to agree on the fact the Ultracote takes to compound curves easier than the Monokote. I like the fact that Ultracote has many more color choices. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:53 am

pkrankow wrote:Between my neighbor (Mr.ARF-dressed-as-close-to-scale-as-possible) and a number of the people here, I tried making the wings look original with the yellow burst detail

I can honestly say it is the best job of decorating using film that I have ever done...although only because I never really tried decorating using film before.

I used Ultracote to skin the wings, and yellow Monokote for the detail put down with ammonia spray. I couldn't find Windex so I mixed 1:4 laundry/household sudsy ammonia and water. It seems to be doing the job. I'll iron them down tomorrow, it has blue painters tape keeping them from sliding.

Pictures after I finish ironing.

Phil
Phil, you should NOT use any heat on the overlays. They will form air bubbles underneath, pull, wrinkle and deform and ruin the whole thing. The ammonia should have the glue stuck as tight as it's going to get. Only if you have a stubborn corner that won't stay down, you can touch it quickly with the tip of the iron, but that's all. I was advised to use a q-tip wet with acetone and trace the edges to help stick the glue better. I don't know if it helped but I didn't have any separation on the Flite Streak. I did dot the sharp points with some epoxy after I had flown it a few times. If you thoroughly squeezed the liquid out, you shouldn't need tape, at least on top. It may be a good idea to tack it on the bottom.

On the Bean, I traced the overlays with clear fingernail polish. I had a problem with that. I chose base coat at the beauty supply store. I don't know if that was my mistake, but every time I clean the plane with alcohol it turns white. Acetone takes the white back off... along with the polish, and it slightly mars the sheen of the Monokote.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:32 am

There are bubbles and puckers all over the place this morning Sad I spent a good bit of time smoothing it last night too... It all peeled off when I pulled the blue tape too.

Yellow Monokote has a color change when the glue activates from heat, it gets a LOT darker (much more than other colors) it goes back when it cools. I used this to my advantage and found that the glue activates at a temperature just a little over the recommended glue temperature for the Ultracote.

I worked carefully and slowly drawing small circles with the iron as I worked the film down. It is not perfectly bubble free, but pretty good.

I might make an iron bootee out of some t-shirt rag.

My daughter cooperating and posing.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/12060210.jpg
My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 12060210

All the damage to the tail section has been sealed with Testors wood and metal cement. I don't have matching paints.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:56 am

YEA !!!!!!!!! Looks Great !

We GOT to get these suckers going! I'm doing nose surgery on mine right now. Must get that front-end sealed better or I'll be flying a castor-sponge!

It's not real easy to see, but the F-2 Bulkhead ends just above the fuselage side. The wood in there will get a steady spray of fuel if I don't close it off.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 44_10

So, I've guillotined that beautiful, shaped cowling, and am gonna isolate the engine compartment just past F-1 by gluing and sealing everything from there back.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 45_10

I know I should have done this before...but I was in a "Covering and Painting" mood at the time!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:13 pm

The entire compartment is painted in my plane. The fuel tank is sealed in with glue. The only reason for the hatch on mine is to get at the fuel lines and motor mounts.

I will be making sure that the exhaust blows outside the fuselage when I get the motor, hopefully this weekend.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:38 pm

pkrankow wrote:The entire compartment is painted in my plane. The fuel tank is sealed in with glue. The only reason for the hatch on mine is to get at the fuel lines and motor mounts.

I will be making sure that the exhaust blows outside the fuselage when I get the motor, hopefully this weekend.

Phil

Great !!! Photos...if possible...Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Nice work Phil, can't wait to hear about the shakedown flight. Go get em!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  jhaye Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Ringmaster's are so fun to fly. I just ordered the hardware to build a new one over the winter from Brodak's today.

Jim Hayes
jhaye
jhaye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Phil, yours looks great. If you want to, you can take a sharp sewing needle and puncture the bubbles and press them out. But after a flight or two I usually quit fretting over the little things, and everyone doesn't see the flaws that I do. You probably already said, but what size is yours? Is there a Ringmaster that would work well with a Tee Dee .09? I have one I need a plane for. If it's as fun to fly as you mention, then it might be what I want.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:12 pm

One thing I would certainly do is to not secure your tank in until you get the height correct. As I've stated many times on here, tanks can be most problematic. The plumbing needs to be inspected and all tanks should be pressure tested. Even when all is good, the engine run can go rich or lean when inverted. This is especially true with a Fox.35 as they like the centerline of the tank to be slightly higher. I make shims of balsa to sit on the beams under the tank. Sometimes I even use playing cards stacked up to get the height correct. Seeing that most tanks were usually epoxied in, this can be impossible to alter tank height. I build all of my planes with removable tanks. If it's not leaking or giving you problems, eventually it will. SO why not build it removable.

Here is a current pic of my Veco Warrior. This is a Brodak tank. The solder used is not quality solder that I use so all joints were taken apart, wire wheeled and resoldered and cleaned. The tubing has also been replaced with K&S copper. On this particular tank so that I could remove it and reinstall it, I opted to put a bushing through the center of the tank. My hatch screw now passes through the center and foam rubber shims hold the tank firmly in place. I can easily and readily remove the tank. This kind of mod would be most beneficial for a design like the one you guys show in your pic. Ken

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Dscn1633
My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Dscn1634
My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Dscn1635
My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 3 Dscn1636
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next