Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Cox_ba12

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by layback209 Yesterday at 11:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Empty
Live on Patrol

Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:57 am

A early LIL Red Express.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:22 am

Yeah the stacks are someones addition. Originally it would have had a straight flat 6 with a dinky single exhaust.

The lil red was a 1978/79 model only.

Interestingly enough that bed is identical to the one on my ‘72. They ran that Ultiline bed for close to 30yrs. The last two they installed a metal bed floor.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:30 am

250 flathead was probably what came in it. My daily driver is nearing 400k and still going strong. I need more numbers on the speedo I run out of em
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:17 pm

There are multiple properties nearby to me, where there are several early-vintage Dodge Power-Wagons. They instantly grab my attention when I see them. I don't know what's up with the vehicles.. but I'm assuming that the properties are owned by the same family. One is a repair-shop.. and the other is a private-property within a fraction of a mile. None of the trucks look to be drivable and maybe they're all for parts.. but to me, they're classic beauties.

Most of them are late 30's/early 40's..

Here's a beautiful 1939 that I found on google-images..

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 1939_d10
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 1939_d11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Empty 1958 Hillman Husky custom surf-wagon

Post  roddie Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:48 pm

This "custom" is for sale.. down the street from where I live. I noticed it (couldn't help but notice it.. Shocked  ) a few days ago.. and had to stop and take photos of it today.

I'll post the photos first.. and tell you a little story afterward..

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190340
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190341
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190342
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190343
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190344
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190345
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190346
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190347

There's no chassis info. listed, but there's a short wheelbase 4 X 4 tucked under that British body. I'm guessing possibly an IH "Scout" or early Ford "Bronco" chassis.. capable of handling the extra horsepower from the NO2 boost/bottle in the way-back..

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:59 pm

Nice, Roddy, but I must say that such a site would most likely be very welcomed along the coastal lines of Australia and New Zealand also, me thinks. Laughing
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 pm

Ah.. the Hillman story that I forgot to tell.. Back in the early 1960's, my dad bought a Hillman "Minx" from a dealer somewhere in Massachusetts. I was a toddler.. (born in 1960..) My dad and mom went out to eat one night at a restaurant on U.S. Rt. 1 in Foxboro, Ma.. called the "Lord Fox".. (not far from todays "Gillette Stadium".. home to the N.E. Patriots Football team). There was valet-service.. and my dad warned the valet that the "pedals" (accelerator, clutch and brake) were very close together.. and tricky to operate. During dinner.. someone from the restaurant came to the table and informed my dad that the car had been damaged when being parked. The valet had smashed it into a tree.. which caused enough damage that it could not be driven. That apparently was the end of "our" Hillman.. Sad
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 am

The car changed hands already in 2011 and was for sale again in 2016. The Husky has a Jeep chassis. ( What a gear lever!!!)

http://www.ewillys.com/2011/02/17/1958-hillman-husky-on-cj-5-chassis-guilderland-ny-ebay/
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:00 am

Thanks for the research, OVERLORD. That gives additional info on it, an impressive show car and is apparently street legal in the state registered, too, as indicated by the license plate.

Interesting story, Roddie, good thing the valet wasn't driving a half million dollar Maserati. Shocked Found it is a late 1950's Minx Husky I body.

The following is said of the Husky I:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Husky

Wikipedia wrote:"Audax Series" Hillman Husky
Series I
In 1958 the new "Series I" Husky was introduced. It followed the same formula as its predecessor, but was based on the new "Audax" or "Series" Hillman Minx. This time the engine was the new Minx's 1390 cc overhead-valve unit but de-rated to an output of 51 hp (38 kW; 52 PS).[5] As before, there was also a four-door "Minx estate", and the Husky had two doors (plus the side-hinged rear door) and a shorter wheelbase (by 8 inches (200 mm)). It was, however, 2 inches (51 mm) longer than its predecessor.

The Series II has an updated and more powerful motor.

Wikipedia wrote:Series II

A "Series II" Husky followed in 1960 with a four-speed gearbox, slightly lowered roof, a deeper windscreen, and altered seats. The engine compression ratio was raised to 8:1 and the carburettor changed to a Zenith 30 VIG type.

Testing the Husky in 1960, The Motor magazine recorded a top speed of 73.4 mph (118.1 km/h), acceleration from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) of 26.9 seconds and a fuel consumption of 30.8 miles per imperial gallon (9.2 L/100 km; 25.6 mpg‑US). The test car cost £674 including taxes.[5]

The engine change to a Buick 231 C.I. V6 is welcomed. The original has half the horsepower of my 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII touring motorcycle. (Clocked at 12.6 seconds in the quarter mile by one magazine.)

Back in the early 1970's while in high school, as a member of the Civil Air Patrol, Waianae Squadron (Hawaii), our senior member and chaperon had a Hillman Husky. I and my brother rode with him from Maile to Dillingham Airfield on the north shore of Oahu. When he started talking to us, he'd slow the car down at least 10 MPH. Seems its sweet spot was around 45, may be 50 mph if you're lucky. Back then, all the roads outside Honolulu were 2 lanes.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Factual correction in line with OVERLORD's post.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 am

Good story roddie/Lieven.

That 231 Buick V-6 has been stuffed into a whole lot of MGB's.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:43 am

That is interesting Bob but understandable. The 231 Buick engine is very compact and a nice upgrade even if kept stock.

Each state has its own laws about rebuilding automobiles. AFAIK, one would seek for an engine that is very close to the age of the vehicle, as with a newer engine one might have to also install all the emissions equipment. Some AFAIK don't allow one to "upgrade" requiring that it maintain OEM.

When I was building a Harbor Freight kit trailer for my motorcycle, I found here in NM the safety requirements for trailers aren't as stringent as they are for other states. (Some like NY require welded safety chains to the trailer chassis and very specific to exacting locations.) It was a very simple matter to get it titled. I took the Certificate of Origin (OEM title) to the MVD, 20 minutes and $49 later I had a permanently registered plate. (Don't have to re-register every year.) Here in NM, a motorcycle's tag behind trailer does not have to registered. I did it, because as soon as I tow it with my pickup, I am in violation of the law. It was easier to get it titled and not worry.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:58 pm

George, this engine was standard mounted in the MGB. It was called the MGB V8 and was only available as a coupé. The engine was also used in the Rover.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:27 pm

OVERLORD wrote:George, this engine was standard mounted in the MGB. It was called the MGB V8 and was only available as a coupé. The engine was also used in the  Rover.

True Lieven, But I was referencing the original four cylinder 1962/1980 MGB. With upgraded brakes and suspension it's a very popular modification.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:21 pm

In fact, I got it wrong. You're talking about a V6. I was automatically thinking of the Buick V8 built under license by British Leyland.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:19 pm

Why do the British drink warm beer? Because they have Lucas refrigerators !!!!
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:13 pm

OVERLORD wrote:The car changed hands already in 2011 and was for sale again in 2016. The Husky has a Jeep chassis. ( What a gear lever!!!)

http://www.ewillys.com/2011/02/17/1958-hillman-husky-on-cj-5-chassis-guilderland-ny-ebay/

Wow! You Sir are a super-sleuth!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:42 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Thanks for the research, OVERLORD. That gives additional info on it, an impressive show car and is apparently street legal in the state registered, too, as indicated by the license plate.

Interesting story, Roddie, good thing the valet wasn't driving a half million dollar Maserati. Shocked Found it is a late 1950's Minx Husky I body.

The following is said of the Husky I:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Husky

Wikipedia wrote:"Audax Series" Hillman Husky
Series I
In 1958 the new "Series I" Husky was introduced. It followed the same formula as its predecessor, but was based on the new "Audax" or "Series" Hillman Minx. This time the engine was the new Minx's 1390 cc overhead-valve unit but de-rated to an output of 51 hp (38 kW; 52 PS).[5] As before, there was also a four-door "Minx estate", and the Husky had two doors (plus the side-hinged rear door) and a shorter wheelbase (by 8 inches (200 mm)). It was, however, 2 inches (51 mm) longer than its predecessor.

The Series II has an updated and more powerful motor.

Wikipedia wrote:Series II

A "Series II" Husky followed in 1960 with a four-speed gearbox, slightly lowered roof, a deeper windscreen, and altered seats. The engine compression ratio was raised to 8:1 and the carburettor changed to a Zenith 30 VIG type.

Testing the Husky in 1960, The Motor magazine recorded a top speed of 73.4 mph (118.1 km/h), acceleration from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) of 26.9 seconds and a fuel consumption of 30.8 miles per imperial gallon (9.2 L/100 km; 25.6 mpg‑US). The test car cost £674 including taxes.[5]

The engine change to a Buick 231 C.I. V6 is welcomed. The original has half the horsepower of my 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII touring motorcycle. (Clocked at 12.6 seconds in the quarter mile by one magazine.)

Back in the early 1970's while in high school, as a member of the Civil Air Patrol, Waianae Squadron (Hawaii), our senior member and chaperon had a Hillman Husky. I and my brother rode with him from Maile to Dillingham Airfield on the north shore of Oahu. When he started talking to us, he'd slow the car down at least 10 MPH. Seems its sweet spot was around 45, may be 50 mph if you're lucky. Back then, all the roads outside Honolulu were 2 lanes.

Thanks to you too George! Very interesting stuff. I'm sure that "Ian" could tell us a bit about the Hillman too.

Regarding the Buick 231 cu. in. V6 (3.8L) engine in the "custom Husky".. that engine design was taken to the limits by Buick when they introduced the Regal "T-Type" (later being rebadged as the GNX/Grand National with an intercooled turbo-charger. It was a quick car for its size.

I know it's not a "stock" 231.. but it makes some good power.. doesn't it. Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:13 pm

I really miss my  ‘85 El Camino. It was replaced by a ‘96 Ford Ranger then a 99’ Mazda B4000 4WD pick-up.   Saw this and thought, Wow, a El Corveto with rocket exhaust and Airplane decals:
Bet It’ll haul the ashes and 1/2a planes too.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Dbf21f10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:10 am

Damn thing comes with Rockets !! lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:46 am

Buck Owens' Nudiemobile

Image result for Buck owens car with guns
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Empty 1968 Camaro SS

Post  roddie Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:48 pm

I saw this car (For Sale BTW..) yesterday, while going to pick up a pizza.

where's the drool emoticon..

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 N_smit10
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 N_smit11
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 N_smit12

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 N_smit13
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Nice, Roddie. Seems high when compared with yesteryear, but that is the price of a used vehicle these days. I guess it just depends on what someone wants. Been looking at Mercedes Metris passenger vans. They are actually a commercial vehicle used for taxi and shuttle service.

Like the huge Mercedes emblem up front. A little spartan in the interior, removing seats are a little heavy, but converts to truck after removing. They are are touch larger inside than the standard passenger mini vans, plus can seat up to 8 adults comfortably. Rear seats out can haul up to 50 sheets of drywall or ply, tow 5,000 lbs.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 B21be210

The passenger version new go from $32k for a basic version up to $45k for the fully loaded one. Without breaking the bank I can make people think I'm living the good life with this one.
lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:52 pm

GG , seriously brother, even if you have to travel a bit--- Mercedes "certified used" is a very good deal if you can find the spartan version your prefer

very very many vehicles I would never buy used....But Mercedes is one I would never buy new....in fact a diesel version with 150,000 on the clock is just getting broken in.....grin

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:49 pm

I hear you, Fred. Reason thinking new is that the difference in price between used and new isn't that much. They don't import the diesel version Metris to US. Gas version has a turbo charged 2.2L 4 cylinder, but puts out 206 HP, gets 20 - 23 mpg. The most spartan doesn't have painted front or rear bumpers, just molded black rubber. In a way those aren't bad because you don't have to worry about parking lot chipped paint dings or scratches from removing luggage or cargo from the rear.

My Bad Experiences with Carmax: I had 2 bad experiences from Carmax, so I probably won't be going to them anytime soon.

Carmax Albuquerque NM. Six months ago, I paid $250 to have a Metris shipped from Los Vegas, NV to Albuquerque for test drive. This was the ultra spartan version, 7 passenger seating in white with rubber black bumpers, plain wheel rims and hubcaps, 2 door barn door back.

But no one bothered to clear the engine computer, had a little over 50k miles, said 41k mile check overdue. Plus, the steel stamped wheels were rattle can painted black. The OEM color is silver. I don't know why they or the previous owner / leaser or them did that. It is easy to remove any rust stains from wheel rims. The painting was of very poor quality, even painted over the hubcaps (normally Mercedes dark gray) and parts of the tires (no masking).

The thick commercial grade gray rubber flooring had several deep dents / gouges in it. Appears someone carried heavy equipment with seats out and didn't bother to protect the floor. A sum total of all these things, I figured the car was not worth buying and thus released it back to them. This one impressed me as being heavily used and abused.

Carmax Lubbock TX. Come a couple months later, I paid $150 shipping from Atlanta, GA to Carmax, Lubbock, TX. This appeared to be a very nice 2016 van in metallic blue with painted bumpers, 8 passenger in leatherette (real leather is hard to find these days) with carpeting, cruise control, rooftop luggage rails, navigation, steering wheel cellphone controls, tow package, single lift up rear door with 43k on the speedo.

I took it for a test ride. Only 2 miles on the expressway, the engine compartment bottom splash pan came loose dragging on the pavement. I took the very next exit and parked it in the nearest parking lot, a church. I looked underneath, all the plastic fasteners were missing, one corner was torn out where a bolt was. The salesperson called back, mechanic came with a vehicle for us to return in. He zip tied the pan in place and nursed it back to the dealer.

They said they would fix that problem. Meanwhile, it was sitting in the parking lot awaiting for servicing, so I asked and the salesperson gave me the keys. We did a further look. The computer said the 40k mile check was overdue. I pressed the dash NAV button, it said NAV not available. I looked in the glove box, someone had taken the NAV computer out (or stole it, $850 for dealer install). The back plastic bumper cover had additional tow hitch clearance cuts in it that looked amateur. Someone had taken a saws-all and cut the trailer connector plug bracket until there was only about 1/4" left. This bracket is a 1/4" thick. The rear door wiper blade and arm were missing.

They said that they would fix all the wrong things, but I was wondering, did someone steal another module, like the electronic stability module under the hood? I thought that there was a possibility that someone broke into the engine compartment from the bottom, while it was on the delivery truck trailer or while at its previous lot in Atlanta.

Conclusions. My wife told me I wasted $450. I told her no, I avoided making $20k and $26k mistakes.

I liked the way the Mercedes vans really tracked on the road, rock steady and smooth even on the rough roads of New Mexico and Texas. Tracks straight without constant steering corrections like some cars because of variations in road crown.

Apparently, Carmax does a poor job of dealer prep and checking over their vehicles prior to customer test drive. They are supposed to do this, even when a car is shipped from one Carmax to another. Their prices although stated as non-dickering, are really not competitive compared with other car dealers.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:06 pm

A couple of years ago I was in the process of finding a newer replacement Toyota Hiace, to update from my well loved 1998 model. I found one on-line and arranged to meet the salesman half way as the dealership was about 50 miles away. I wasn't able to go due to work but my wife and son headed off to meet him for an inspection. I made it clear to the salesman that I didn't want an ex-tradesman's vehicle which had had racking and other things fitted in the back, so I explained that any screw holes and messed up wiring etc was not acceptable. He assured me it was fine. My son rang and said that the van looked really tidy apart from a couple of 1 1/2" holes and about a dozen small screw holes in the floor used to secure racking/shelving. Exactly what I expected but didn't want. It was only about $3,000 below the price of a new one apart from the installed tow-bar and safety barrier.
So after they had parted ways my son sends me pictures of the damage. Not what I wanted to see for the price, so I rang the salesman and asked why he hadn't honoured my request for an undamaged vehicle. He indicated that he thought that I was being a little fussy, so I said good-by and I would be looking elsewhere. He rang half an hour later and had taken $3,500 off the price. I decided I could live with the prospect of repairing the holes. Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next