Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2017
Kim's

"Cox Conquest gets a Run-Up."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

My Unscientific Spectra Test

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My Unscientific Spectra Test

Post  ian1954 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:44 pm

We just call them "key rings" in the UK and they are a cheap source of making connections.

Some supplied with key labels (tags) are soft wire and couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. You can stretch them by slipping them on a finger and easily pull them apart and straighten the wire.

The ones as Fred describes are incredible strong and come in different sizes - not only diameter of the ring but diameter of the wire. I wouldn't hesitate to use them but only after testing them.

As Fred describes - they need to be 3 turns but also no sharp edges. Some of them aren't very well formed and are made so that where the turns touch each other - the faces are flattened. This is fine as long as the finished cross section doesn't end up as a sharp oval.

The can be heavy though at the aeroplane end - quite a few commercial handles came with these rings fitted.

This is a more recent one

but the ubiquitous Keil Kraft metal handle with the spike came with them as well. We all used those for combat models in the sixties.

All connectors have their limits and it is best practice to test everything.

ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:25 pm

Like Phred said;... the fishing-tackle "swivels" are a no-no. No! In theory they're perfect.. but I'd rather lose a fish.. than an airplane.

The key-rings I had never considered. Huh... .. and I found it strange when Mark first mentioned his. I couldn't see the benefit for un/re-connection over a standard Luxon line-connector. Maybe for a dedicated handle/line-set/model?
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 pm

roddie wrote:Like Phred said;... the fishing-tackle "swivels" are a no-no. No!  In theory they're perfect.. but I'd rather lose a fish.. than an airplane.

The key-rings I had never considered. Huh... .. and I found it strange when Mark first mentioned his. I couldn't see the benefit for un/re-connection over a standard Luxon line-connector. Maybe for a dedicated handle/line-set/model?

Luxon line clips on the lines from the handle. Split rings on the lines from the bellcrank. That way the handles of various line lengths with luxon clips on the end can be used for many different models with split rings. That's why I have 25, 30, 35, and 43 foot line handles to swap around.

The Swappable Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top