Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Black Hawk Models
by Marleysky Today at 9:37 pm

» Tach Race 2017 class photo!
by roddie Today at 9:08 pm

» Technical question
by wha-tah-hey Today at 9:01 pm

» Medallion 049 & Medallion 049; what is the difference?
by 1/2A Nut Today at 8:29 pm

» "Phred's Phault"
by roddie Today at 7:56 pm

» McCoy 36 Super Stunt
by Oldenginerod Today at 7:54 pm

» This is how shill-bidding works :)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 9:27 am

» Enya engines for sale :)
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:30 pm

» Black Widow Crankcase hole?
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:33 pm

» The Good...The REALLY Bad...but All will be Good again...
by Kim Yesterday at 10:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2017
roddie's

Product engine on one of his builds.

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop

Enya .15 diesel MK II

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Enya .15 diesel MK II

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:22 am

I managed to get this back together last evening with the help of Bob Brooks. The Enya diesels are not very common in these parts. This one had some pretty bad damage. Cracked drive washer, broken prop washer and a damaged bearing. If I had to fathom a guess, I would say it took a shot. The backplate showed some scars which I polished out and threads on the shaft needed some attention. This Enya is bushed and ball raced. A very simple design and easily serviced. Robust rod internally and heavy duty crankshaft. A very nice piece which will be a lot of fun to run on the bench. It feels very smooth and I'm looking forward to running it.

Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Enya .15 diesel MK II

Post  fit90 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:10 am

That is a beautiful engine. You did a super job bringing it back to its old glory. I hope it runs as well as it looks good for you.
fit90
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:19 pm

Nice job Ken, of all my Enya's not one is a diesel.

Thanksfully, there is a Bobby Brooks. I live off him or he off me, don't know which. I see that he has a connecting rod for a .15 diesel. Nice to know. I need one for my Thunder tiger variant .15II but it's one of the few parts that he does not have.

Got to look your's up on Bob Allans' compendium. Did you take a "before" picture? Another member here uses kerosene and 800 grit to polish his engines and they come out beautiful too. Are those normally polished like the Enya .09 and .15 II's? They are the only two Enya's that I know of that are, most are a matte finish.

Bob
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:28 pm

Bob, this case is certainly different than most Enya's I've owned. At first I thought it was a result of a bad crock pot soaking as I've seen some cases ( OS MAX-S ) become mottled and discolored. I just used Mother's sparingly followed by a light scrubbing with a stainless brush in the nooks and crannies. The top cylinder fins appear to be chromed aluminum. Bob has almost all parts for this engine. A real neat piece. I wasn't going for appearance that much as functionality is important here. I did note that it weighs just slightly more than the glow.
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks Ken, Either way it's a fine looking engine. I love the angular features of the case and the extra separation of the cylinder fins.

I should try a diesel, any diesel. But it means a different fuel and a new experience for me. But, it must seems nice not to have to have an igniter and all the necessary accessories involved.

Bob

rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:06 pm

That is one collectable Enya. I don't know why but the Enya 15 diesels have a following among collectors. I have never seen one flown and have only bench run mine but they take some running in.

The Enya diesels are tough little beasts.

ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Ian, you will see this one being flown. A most remarkable piece. It really is a nicely built engine. I just replaced the bearing and I have to say it feels very very smooth. I can assume the run is the same way. Merry Christmas, Ken
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Ken Cook wrote:               Ian, you will see this one being flown. A most remarkable piece. It really is a nicely built engine. I just replaced the bearing and I have to say it feels very very smooth. I can assume the run is the same way. Merry Christmas, Ken

Ken, Bob Brooks is up your way in Easton Pa for a month. It would be great if you got together.

Bob
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:45 pm

That's a Hoss of an engine there ,Nice clean up too . I didn't know Enya made diesels , what the size prop your thinking for it ? Ken i know your into combat is that what you have in mind or something not so wild ! Very Happy
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:15 pm

I don't really have any intention of using the engine for combat although it's certainly possible. I have enough glow .15's to fill that arena. I just like bench running them but with this one, I certainly would like to get it on a .15 sport plane. A 8x4 APC will more than suffice for a prop. If you do a search on these, they're quite desirable. They're very high quality and robust. The earlier MK I had a crank which was a tad more fragile.
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:25 pm

Well, if you have a cool 29,800 yen you could score a brand new one.

http://www.enya-engine.com/15D-II_E.html
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:22 am

As mentioned, it's quality yields a substantial price tag. I'm glad mine has good compression and everything is still tight. Doing some research it was mentioned that it was the best diesel produced in a 2.5 of the time. I would think not much has changed.
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tyro185 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:51 pm

My Enya 15D-II was completely built from new old stock still seal in their original packaging from eBay seller shtterman, he has a comprehensive listing of Enya parts. I just purchased the diesel parts as they came up on his listing with the piston/liner assembly being the last part needed to complete the engine and I guess it's been a 18 month period before I had all parts. I even purchased an N.O.S box and copied instruction sheet from the same seller.

Take a look: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=shtterman&_osacat=182193&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.Xenya.TRS0&_nkw=enya&_sacat=182193

Regards

Steve.
tyro185
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 am

Steve, mine runs excellent. I would have to say it's the easiest starting diesel I own. Power seems to be very good. I haven't flown it in a plane yet,
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tyro185 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:01 am

Hi Ken,

The Enya 15D-II was the engine I grew up with, back in 1973 at age 10 when I started the hobby with control line, this engine was my only power plant for years and I use to swap the engine into another model at the park to fly. Quite often I would have two or three models with me to fly and just the one engine, it was also second hand as my dad acquired it from somewhere and was knocked around a bit but ran very sweetly. I loved that engine and I knew all its characteristics over many years of constant use, this was my reason for building up another one from parts as a memory sake as I hated myself for parting with the one from years ago.

Regards

Steve.
tyro185
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:10 pm

While I've been strictly glow, my son has become quite fascinated with diesels and we have a small collection of them. He came across ours at a swap meet this past November for $20. When the prop was bolted on tight, the engine would bind. I took it apart and didn't see any problems internally. I repeated this process about 3 times until I saw a crack open up on the drive washer when tightening. I bought the drive washer from Shtterman on Ebay and he kindly sent me a link to the entire page of parts for the engine. I was absolutely impressed by the parts available.
ken
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top