Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews Cox_ba12

aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews Empty
Live on Patrol

aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews

Go down

aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews Empty aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:21 am

I'd be surprised if many people on CEF wouldn't enjoy watching this machinist disect, analyze and review power tools and other devices. His channel is called AvE and a lot of his titles begin with "BOLTR."

He also does tutorials on how to use many kinds of tools, and I've learned a lot more ways I can better use my current set of tools. Most videos are 20-30 minutes long. He has an odd humorous way of saying things, many times purposely mispronouncing, but he's a gool ol' smartass with a lot of knowledge.

Here's a good video that will ease you into the world of BOLTR. I hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/oezp-_DcUgg

Last edited by RknRusty on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews Empty And another

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:35 am

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews Empty Re: aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:29 am

I use that Fes saw pretty much everyday. While he points out some possible failures, The common one is the guard. The saw's trigger works in relation to the guard. The mechanism has a tendency to not engage causing one to force the trigger usually breaking one or more components. We cut everything from finished panels to drywall with that saw and it takes some serious abuse. The vacuum works very efficiently but it should for $700.  We had various rails for the saw and when we got into tight areas, we had to cut the rails down. I was pretty shocked to discover that some of the rails were nearing $350. The material we were cutting was very abusive to the blades. If we got a week out of a blade we were doing well.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews Empty Re: aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:43 am

A lot of my wood working in the big shop is with 3/4" Red Oak cabinet grade ply

I have always wanted a good panel saw but no room for a good one, so have been looking at various track saws

Mostly cuz my current method of marking the cut, laying our a long guide bar just the correct distance for the saw kerf, and clamping it down is a pain

Thanks for the videos
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 am

It wasn't clear to me what that saw was for. That price he gave is in Canadian bucks.
That's one of the channels I subscribe to for entertainment purposes. I saw something else that was new to me, friction or flow drilling. That's pretty damn cool.

https://youtu.be/FIgg6sey0C8

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:33 am

That was cool I had never ever heard of that method before

Learn new stuff every day around here..
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:01 pm

fredvon4 wrote:That was cool I had never ever heard of that method before

Learn new stuff every day around here..

No kidding, I can't tear myself away from this guy's channel. I learned better how to choose the right drill bit for a particular job... if I can just remember it.... keep yer ____ in a vice! (I have no idea what that means)

There are a couple of woodworkers' channels that are similarly helpful and entertaining. Metal work fascinates me more though.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews Empty BOLTR: Skil Saw review

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Taking a look inside the SkilSaw from China:

https://youtu.be/G6fJ8xFDYSM

Last edited by RknRusty on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:18 am

Just another disgrace. I've owned mine since 1982 and the only required maintenance was a handle screw that came loose and a oil change. I watched 1 min of the video and it makes one disgusted.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

aVe BOLTR; Interesting machinist - Tool teardown and reviews Empty BOLTR: Hilti professional drill

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Here's a review of a $700(Canadian) Hilti professional drill:
https://youtu.be/mwX6qLIoj3s

From 6/14/2017
Taking a look inside the SkilSaw from China:
https://youtu.be/G6fJ8xFDYSM

Ken Cook wrote:           Just another disgrace. I've owned mine since 1982 and the only required maintenance was a handle screw that came loose and a oil change. I watched 1 min of the video and it makes one disgusted.
Ken,
Yes, it wasn't looking good at all with the molding and handles. But when he got down into the mechanism, most of it was surprisingly well made with just a couple of exceptions.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:11 am

I have watched and done a LOT of framing construction and to this day I do NOT get the need/purpose for a giant worm drive skill saw.... Maybe back in the day...trying to cut down to length 4"x 6" Oak barn timbers???

My first ever, skill type saw, was an very old Milwaukee brand 10" worm drive my dad gave me...that bugger must have weighed close to 30 Lbs and had enough torque to make it very hard to start a cut "On the line"...and it was so powerful it scared the hell out of me at age 20.... I only used it until I had it in Army storage and need a skill saw overseas,  so bought a 7.5" version Black n Decker at the PX... lasted nearly 20 years until my son or his friend dropped it

The flip side of my notion on the excessive power of a giant worm drive saw is in the area of SawzAlls... My first was a very beefy and heavy duty Craftsman and since I have had a few of the smaller lighter versions.... none compare to the weight and durability of the Craftsman I had... even a Milwaukee version that broke the first day I had it in service.....

Do not get me started on reviewing 21~22 degree framing Nailers!  Have NOT found a brand yet that is reliable for 3" nails
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:57 pm

My Dad has an ancient Porter Cable sawsall that does straight or elliptical blade motions. he used to cut exhausts out of cars as a mechanic with it. I was doing a demolition and one of the other contractors asked to borrow it. I warned him it probably has a lot more a** than his saw, and he didn't believe me. At least he was unhurt when he got knocked down... I got an ear full then a desire to have said saw after he saw how I could use it.

On the flip side of the large 10 inch circular saw is the 4 inch circular saw that cut exactly 1 3/4 inches deep, and ONLY 1 3/4 inches deep. This is another death machine of old with no guards. In the case of the one from my mom's dad (a home improvement contractor most of his life) the under powered POS would also freely spin for about a week, the whole time you could not put it down unless you had a custom saw stand (usually a couple 2x4 knocked together the tall way) else the saw would go running away or the spinning blade was up! I was not sad to see that tool go. It cost my brother a whole mess of stitches and almost took his thumb off at the wrist.

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:40 pm

I have a pretty heavy 10" Craftsman skilsaw that I inherited from my father-in-law. I use it infrequently, and I have never been comfortable with that type of saw. And now I no longer have the strength to be safely wielding such machinery.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down