Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Still around (update on myself)
by Admin Today at 1:23 am

» New Cox Fuel Tank?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Brodak F-82 Twin Mustang
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» Cox .01 /.02 /.05 Engines & Mods / Nano Speed Planes
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 6:53 pm

» A Lynx and a Beetle
by balogh Yesterday at 4:40 am

» xa-8 1/2 a combat
by Ken Cook Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:07 pm

» 049 engine cylinder no longer black?
by Ken Cook Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:46 pm

» .049 Glow Plug Machining
by faif2d Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:10 pm

» stir it up.. (the paint..)
by fredvon4 Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:25 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (July 2018)
by balogh Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2018
Davenz13's

".049 Bee"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Ordered a 1/2A Skyray kit

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Skyray went on a weight loss program

Post  TLAnderson on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:11 am

During the last flights on May 20, I noticed that the plane was feeling sluggish. I came to the conclusion that I had too much crap hanging on it. It was too heavy and too draggy. I decided that the clunk tank, engine mount spacer, and landing gear had to go.

Old setup:

New setup:

The Skyray was designed to be flown without landing gear. I only fly over grass, and the gear was just catching the grass and flipping the plane on landing. However, I still needed to get the thing off the ground, and hand launches were not possible.

So I bent up a new set of gear that falls off when the plane gets airborne.

I got a chance to try it out tonight.

It worked slick.
Getting rid of all that nose weight moved the CG to where she's a little twitchy, but, when the engine quits, it will actually glide in and land right side up. With the old setup. it dropped like a rock when the engine quit.

As you can see in the pics, the field where I fly hasn't been mowed lately. This caused some problems with the lines catching the weeds, and crashing the plane. The last flight was real interesting. The plane had just gotten airborne when the lines caught some weeds, and the plane turned in. It flew slack line straight across the circle. When the lines tightened up again it jerked the handle out of my hand Shocked . The plane then crashed and wrapped the lines up in the prop.

Nothing got broken, and she's ready to go again, but not until that field gets mowed.

Last edited by TLAnderson on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
TLAnderson
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ordered a 1/2A Skyray kit

Post  getback on Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:42 am

4th of July Flag Way to go with the drop off take off gear Huh... i like that idea !! Yea get out there and Mow that baby down (glad YOU didnt get hurt ) I've had them fly acrosses before and can bee scary if she is kicking ass Shocked and lol! at the same time ! Glad ya got rid of the bulk and put the wedge on LOOKS better too . Would like to fly some on this 4th but it's just to damn hott at 95 here may pick up on some building today i need to clear the work bench for something new ! Fireworks
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:29 am

I have to say it does look nice with the gear you had on it. I like the stance. Having built many Skyray's over the years, I knew the turning was going to be somewhat compromised. The Skyray is intentionally designed a bit on the tail heavy side so I thought this would've balanced things out a bit. As you mentioned though there's just drag all over and the speed and maneuverability falls off. It still looks great and I commend you on a nice job there.
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:19 pm

Very cool mod there man!! I'd really be interested to see the detailing (close-up images) on the "drop-off gear". The fact that it functioned well for you.. is what interests me; as I've had a long-time interest/need-for a control-line take-off dolly for "1/2A proto-speed" models, but haven't been able to source any information on fabrication.

Secondary.......... the "NEST" control-line guys here in my neck of the woods, have a circle-mowing system that utilizes a small 20-22" self-propelled lawn-mower with a 40-foot tether connected to a central-post which automatically mows a 80" diameter C/L flight-circle in short-order.

I "do" like your 1/2A drop-off main-gear though. Please supply photos/drawings of your design. Thanks!!! Thumbs Up
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:15 pm

Thanks to Eric, and Ken for their comments.

roddie wrote:Very cool mod there man!! I'd really be interested to see the detailing (close-up images) on the "drop-off gear". The fact that it functioned well for you.. is what interests me; as I've had a long-time interest/need-for a control-line take-off dolly for "1/2A proto-speed" models, but haven't been able to source any information on fabrication.

Secondary.......... the "NEST" control-line guys here in my neck of the woods, have a circle-mowing system that utilizes a small 20-22" self-propelled lawn-mower with a 40-foot tether connected to a central-post which automatically mows a 80" diameter C/L flight-circle in short-order.

I "do" like your 1/2A drop-off main-gear though. Please supply photos/drawings of your design. Thanks!!! Thumbs Up

It's pretty basic.  It's a proof of concept prototype, so some of the dimensions could be adjusted. The U shaped piece could be shorter, as could the legs. I made this before I read Ken Cook's post on soldering and binding his landing gear. I just soldered the legs to the U piece with silver solder. I doubt they would hold up to landing shocks, but they don't have to. My soldering job isn't too pretty, but the goal was to see if the idea would work. Appearance was low on the priority list.

Materials were a 4' long 1/8" diameter steel rod, and two pairs of 1" removable pin hinges.

I pulled the pins on the hinges, and used the halves with the single pin boss. I drilled out the pin bosses to 1/8" as the pins were smaller than that. The hinges are pretty soft steel. You could probably open them up by driving a 1/8" or 5/32" pin punch through the bosses.

The holes in the hinges matched the engine backplate holes close enough that I didn't have to do anything with them.

I sandwiched the hinges between the backplate and the engine mount.

The distance between the pin bosses after mounting was 1-3/8" center to center.
I got a piece of steel from work which measured 1-1/4 x 2 x 2-1/2". I ground a rough radius on the two edges along the 1-1/4" width.
I bent the wire around the steel form so the the ends came out 1-3/8" apart, and the legs were 2 inches long.

Then I started test fitting the U into the pin bosses. I had to tweak the bends, and file the wires until the U slid into the bosses and dropped out easily.
The legs are 6" long pieces with 45 degree bends 1" in from each end.

I soldered the legs to the U with everything clamped to a steel plate so nothing moved while soldering. I used a  propane torch to heat the joint, and some flux that I had laying around.  The upper ends of the legs are 1/2" below the ends of the U.

Hope that covers it well enough.

I attempted to fly the Skyray again tonight, but it was hot, humid, buggy, and the engine didn't want to run. So I gave up and went home. Oh well. Try again tomorrow, maybe.

Happy Independence Day to everyone 4th of July Flag
TLAnderson
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks very much for the explanation and photos of the drop-off gear. I'd never seen that type of design before now.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Awesome idea. I never would have thought of that. I'll file it away for future use.

The Thief Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:21 pm

TL,
I noticed you switched back to the wedge tank. Have you figured out why it didn't work before the clumk tank?
How long is a typical flight on wedge? What size wedge?

Thanks
944_Jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:16 pm

944_Jim wrote:TL,
I noticed you switched back to the wedge tank. Have you figured out why it didn't work before the clumk tank?

Thanks

I really don't know why the wedge tank didn't work the first time around. It may have been the needle valve moving and I didn't catch it at first. My other thought is that the engine wasn't broken in and it was getting tight halfway through the run. The wedge seems to work fine now.

It's a 3/8 ounce tank. I haven't timed a run, but I'd estimate at least two minutes
TLAnderson
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 pm

TLAnderson wrote:
944_Jim wrote:TL,

Thanks

I really don't know why the wedge tank didn't work the first time around. It may have been the needle valve moving and I didn't catch it at first. My other thought is that the engine wasn't broken in and it was getting tight halfway through the run. The wedge seems to work fine now.

It's a 3/8 ounce tank. I haven't timed a run, but I'd estimate at least two minutes

A 3/8 ounce tank equates to 11.1 cc's. That's a good long run for an .049 reed-valve engine.. even if it's turning some high rpm's. I've always used(Perfect-brand) wedge-tanks on my Bee's that weren't integrally-tanked. A #2 Perfect wedge is 3/8 oz. (11.1cc's) and categorized as a "medium-midge" tank. It is only 1.25" long.

It's a nice little tank for where there isn't too much real-estate to mount it.

roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4