Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Empty Re: Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:19 am

chevyiron420 wrote:Testors dropped the #1 or #2 after a wile.
Phil

Thanks Phil. They made so many little changes it's hard to keep up.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Empty parts engine arrived today!

Post  roddie Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 pm

Update! Bob (rsv1cox) sent me a package with some cool stuff! Some Testors, Wen-Mac, OK Cub and Cox parts to boot!

Of immediate interest though; is one engine that looks exactly like the one I have.. right down to the "firewall" that it's mounted to.. and the fuel-line that's attached. The case-castings look the same to me..

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Bob_vi12
Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Bob_vi13

Bob's engine is equipped with an exhaust-throttle-sleeve! Not sure if the cylinder is ground for it.. like some of the Cox cylinders were.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 pm

Are you sure there's a throttle sleeve? Never seen one on a Testors. The Fly-em engines came with a metal ring which slipped over the bottom of the cylinder and was supposed to act as a muffler. (Far more effective at reducing RPM that dB.) It looks to me like just a variation in the cylinder. Check the picture of mine on the first page of this thread.

If you're anything like me, you will look at the original engine, along with the parts Bob supplied, and think that, with only a few more parts, I can make another running engine. So the search continues (I can't stand having "almost" enough parts to put together a running engine.)
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:10 am

On closer inspection, the engine Bob sent you has a much shorter intake than yours. This is what I've been saying. There are so many little subtle variations with these engines it's nearly impossible to know exactly what you have. Unless of course someone has trimmed it, but I suspect it was just one of those inexplainable changed they made during production.

Rod
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Wen mac kept changing the intake as well. Dont know why.
Phil
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:05 pm

I forgot to say, also the tall intake one has the newer smaller starter spring housing, making the intake look even taller. The wen macs with the hole drilled in the intake is for a return spring on a throttled engine. Even though they didnt all have throttles.
Roddies engine with that style glow head, and crank, and cylinder is probably near the end of production of that engine style.
Phil
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:27 pm

I think I have some needles and NIP glow heads for these slag engines. I usually sell them off cheap or for the cost of shipping when I acquire them in Cox lots. Might even have a couple of the old fuel cans too.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:09 pm

What's the shipping for your "slag" parts, NV, and fuel cans to 49544??
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:11 pm

Jason_WI wrote:I think I have some needles and NIP glow heads for these slag engines. I usually sell them off cheap or for the cost of shipping when I acquire them in Cox lots. Might even have a couple of the old fuel cans too.
What is a slag engine?
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Are you sure there's a throttle sleeve?  Never seen one on a Testors.  The Fly-em engines came with a metal ring which slipped over the bottom of the cylinder and was supposed to act as a muffler.  (Far more effective at reducing RPM that dB.)  

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Testor10

This one is from my Testors Albatross. The engine in my Sopwith Camel is identical, but doesn't have the ring around the cylinder.
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:45 am

chevyiron420 wrote:
Jason_WI wrote:I think I have some needles and NIP glow heads for these slag engines. I usually sell them off cheap or for the cost of shipping when I acquire them in Cox lots. Might even have a couple of the old fuel cans too.
What is a slag engine?

Old-timers may remember the term, "slag engine." There were several engines made in the USA in the 1930s-1940s, sold mostly through a big store in New York City, that were junk right out of the box. They seemed to be made of the debris that floats on top of molten metal (slag), thus the name. Thor and Deezil were two of them.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:59 am

chevyiron420 wrote:
What is a slag engine?
Otherwise known as "Pot Metal". That's why they're refered to as a "Pipe Bomb" engine. The ring on the Albatros engine is the muffler ring I refered to. The biggest issue when a muffler ring is installed is that you can't loosten the cylinder to remove it. It's there for life unless you use pliers on the fins, or make one of those handy dandy wooden clamps.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:54 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Are you sure there's a throttle sleeve?  Never seen one on a Testors.  The Fly-em engines came with a metal ring which slipped over the bottom of the cylinder and was supposed to act as a muffler.  (Far more effective at reducing RPM that dB.)  It looks to me like just a variation in the cylinder.  Check the picture of mine on the first page of this thread.

If you're anything like me, you will look at the original engine, along with the parts Bob supplied, and think that, with only a few more parts, I can make another running engine.  So the search continues (I can't stand having "almost" enough parts to put together a running engine.)

You're correct Rod, The cylinder on Bob's engine has a "thick-wall" in the exhaust-port area. I guess it looked like a sleeve to me at first glance.

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Bob_vi14

As mentioned; the venturi-stacks are different heights.. and the spring-starters have differing diameters.

That spring-starter assembly must be 1/2 the engine's weight. I suppose that Testors may have designed it that way to help counter-balance their heavy plastic model-airplanes? They obviously could have gone with a more simple coil-spring and drive-plate.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:25 am

I knew I wasn't crazy.. Laughing  I just had the wrong engine. This Wen-Mac that Bob sent, has the throttle.

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Dsc04858
Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Dsc04859

The spring wasn't attached.. and I'm not sure whether I installed it correctly. The sleeve has a single small hole.. and the venturi-stack also has a small hole. I don't see a place to hook-up a linkage though.. Huh... There "is" an e-clip around the base of the cylinder.. but it looks like it serves as a stop-plate/bearing for the sleeve to rotate on. There's nothing keeping the sleeve from riding "up" on the cylinder, except the return-springs' tension. Remove the return-spring, and the sleeve can be removed over the top of the cylinder.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:33 am

I did a little research on that engine roddie when I first received it.  Seems I traced it back to a particular Wen-Mac model, but I forget which one.  Sad

I suspect that Mark B. has the answer.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:25 pm

Looks like a Mark XIII thunderbolt car engine. Press off the flywheel, drill and press on a cox drive plate. Go flyin!!!
Phil
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 pm

I have absolutely no experience/knowledge with these engines. It seems that both the AMF/Wen-mac and Testors/McCoy .049 engines utilize that heavy fly-wheel on the nose of the crankshaft in the form of a starter-spring assembly.. or otherwise. Was its purpose to keep the engine within it's design-rpm limits? Maybe the extra mass was needed for sustaining rotational-inertia to keep the engine running?

:huh:It's a heavy piece; to be fitted to such an otherwise lightweight engine-design.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:58 pm

roddie wrote:I knew I wasn't crazy.. Laughing  I just had the wrong engine. This Wen-Mac that Bob sent, has the throttle.

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Dsc04858
Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Dsc04859

The spring wasn't attached.. and I'm not sure whether I installed it correctly. The sleeve has a single small hole.. and the venturi-stack also has a small hole. I don't see a place to hook-up a linkage though.. Huh... There "is" an e-clip around the base of the cylinder.. but it looks like it serves as a stop-plate/bearing for the sleeve to rotate on. There's nothing keeping the sleeve from riding "up" on the cylinder, except the return-springs' tension. Remove the return-spring, and the sleeve can be removed over the top of the cylinder.

That is a throttle control sleeve , spring actuated by a third string attached to the flying handle. I'll see if is can locate the instruction sheet or picture of model. Yes, Mark B will know more about it.
That flywheel was/is heavy. That's why I always assumed Testors models flew slower. I put one on a Big Otto an it screamed.

Try this linc: https://goo.gl/images/g11BxU
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:45 am

Marleysky wrote:

That is a throttle control sleeve , spring actuated by a third string attached to the flying handle. I'll see if is can locate the instruction sheet or picture of model. Yes, Mark B will know more about it.
That flywheel was/is heavy. That's why I always assumed Testors models flew slower. I put one on a Big Otto an it screamed.

Try this linc:  https://goo.gl/images/g11BxU

Thanks Rene, That image-scan of a Testors instruction manual does show the throttled engine and how to start it. Too bad it doesn't show the throttle linkage in more detail.

That's ok... I'm just naturally curious about how it's supposed to operate.

Note the bent rod/wire with a loop on its end. I don't have that part.. but if it's the only missing part, would be easy to make.

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Thrott10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Aaahhh! I found it!! Indy racer and peashooter both used throttle control:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qzls1EtwsP4
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:57 am

Marleysky wrote:Aaahhh! I found it!! Indy racer and peashooter both used throttle control:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qzls1EtwsP4

Those were pretty cool models Rene!! How many kids of our generation wouldn't have wanted the hovercraft in the 2nd half of the vid? That must have preceded the "Galax IV" model that Testors created. It sure would be fun to try making one. A simple shallow box with engine mounted in a central duct suspended on an x-frame made from small CF rods with a firewall that clamps to it. Eyebrows The wheels in Roddie's head are turning...... Shocked
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:16 am

I actually started to build a hovercraft when I was in high school. Pretty sure I got the idea from a Popular Mechanics article and was made of balsa with a vertical cardboard tube to mount my Cox P-40 engine in, not realizing at the time that the tank wouldn't work in a vertical situation. I recalled the plans called for a realistic flexible skirt, which is what stopped the project in its tracks. I just couldn't figure out a way to do it, so the project languished until I gave up and binned the part-built model. If only I'd seen the Wen Mac/Testors version I would have realized I didn't need the flexible skirt and the project may have survived.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:57 am

Oldenginerod wrote:I actually started to build a hovercraft when I was in high school. Pretty sure I got the idea from a Popular Mechanics article and was made of balsa with a vertical cardboard tube to mount my Cox P-40 engine in, not realizing at the time that the tank wouldn't work in a vertical situation.  I recalled the plans called for a realistic flexible skirt, which is what stopped the project in its tracks.  I just couldn't figure out a way to do it, so the project languished until I gave up and binned the part-built model.  If only I'd seen the Wen Mac/Testors version I would have realized I didn't need the flexible skirt and the project may have survived.

I think that you should "revisit" the idea Rod! I'd done some on and off thinking on a design. A Cox .049 reed-valve engine with a "Sure-Start" (horseshoe backplate) would remedy the fuel-tank issue. A tank could be mounted above on the deck with fuel-line routed down through the shroud and zip-tied to one of the engine-support rods. Starting the engine would need to be done from underneath.. so a small stand would be handy to place the model on. The glow-clip connection and needle access would be easily accessible from the top.

Directional control could be accomplished through the placement of small adjustable air-vents (holes) in the sides of the skirt. Assuming the craft has a front and rear; opening a "rear" vent would induce forward-motion.. and possibly "side-vents" for sweeping circular paths. Venting diagonal-corners only.. would induce a rotation. It certainly would be fun to play around with controlling the model. Thin plastic sheet could be used for the skirt(s).. and vents could be closed-off as simply as applying a strip of tape over them. Maybe notches cut-into the bottom of the skirt would work better? They could be taped-closed to control direction in the same way.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Rebuilt and hopefully ready for a bench-run..

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Rebuil13
Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Rebuil14

The replacement crank is not counter-weighted like the one that came out.. but seems to fit fine otherwise. Bob Vining (rsv1cox) supplied the donor-engine. I also swapped its' piston and cylinder into this engine.

Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...  - Page 2 Rebuil15

Thanks again Bob! Thumbs Up

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:57 pm

SWEET! I've always liked the McCoys with the red head glow head! Glad to see you've got it back together.
"Ok, Honey, I'm going to make another movie for the guys on CEF" lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next