Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Where do these prices come from? Cox_ba12

Where do these prices come from? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Where do these prices come from? Empty
Live on Patrol

Where do these prices come from?

Go down

Where do these prices come from? Empty Where do these prices come from?

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:46 pm

This guy is a well respected Aussie seller who is disbursing the David Owen collection.  There are some really rare & nice engines which come up, along with some really common ones such as this.
Where do these prices come from? S-l16010
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-049-Model-Glow-Engine/142570878180?hash=item2131e2f4e4:g:twIAAOSwMYxaApD2

I just can't figure out why something like this will go so high one day, but on another day an equally commonplace engine can be snapped up for $5. Rolling Eyes
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Where do these prices come from? Empty Re: Where do these prices come from?

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:49 am

No mystery, at least 2 people really wanted that engine. No idea why, I find those things for pennies on the dollar at swap meets. They get broken down into the parts bin.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Buyer beware!  
Maybe they just wanted a small parcel of the famed colllectors collection. ......”you know my Uncle James has a Engine from the collection of  David Owen.”  oh how nice !
 Or got caught up in the frenzy of bidding on something with out knowing the actual market value of the item.

Someone said “a fool and his money are soon parted”.  I try not to be to foolish.  lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Yes.. that engine sold for a lot of money! Shocked I couldn't see anything externally unique about it. It had a L/H starter-spring.. but that's not uncommon.

OTOH.... there's also the possibility that the people who are bidding on this collection, have a connection to the deceased and his family. Paying a few extra dollars for an item could help-out that family if they were struggling. We can't just assume that these bidders are inexperienced. The fella that's offered.. or "been charged" with liquidating this man's collection, may not be taking any sort of commission. If I were to suddenly "pass-on".. I'd hope that the little that I have, wouldn't be auctioned-off for pennies on the dollar.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:21 pm

roddie wrote:OTOH.... there's also the possibility that the people who are bidding on this collection, have a connection to the deceased and his family. Paying a few extra dollars for an item could help-out that family if they were struggling. We can't just assume that these bidders are inexperienced. The fella that's offered.. or "been charged" with liquidating this man's collection, may not be taking any sort of commission. If I were to suddenly "pass-on".. I'd hope that the little that I have, wouldn't be auctioned-off for pennies on the dollar.
You're a good soul Roddie. I hope it rubs off.
I felt it.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:31 pm

I have to agree with Bob. A more wise response than my own. Let’s hope it was that. And the berieved was compensated in some small way.

Humbleness is something we all need more of.

God Bless Roddie!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 am

Cribbs74 wrote:I have to agree with Bob. A more wise response than my own. Let’s hope it was that. And the berieved was compensated in some small way.

Humbleness is something we all need more of.

God Bless Roddie!

Yes, thank you Roddie, Bob and Ron. It’s good to have people whose thoughts and ideas can change my altitude and attitude!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:56 am

In no way was I taking a shot at anybody with my comment.
By "rubbing off", I meant throughout life. Looks kinda snarky
this morning. Doh!
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:37 pm

Not so sure the bidding was founded in support of the FAMILY... perhaps it was... from what little I know he was pretty well off

I understand the David Owen "collection" was rather large ...in fact the guy liquidating it all was concerned enough of the volume, he seems to be doling out the engines....see Barton's quote below

"I've just started putting engines from David's collection on eBay. At this stage I'll aim to put up around ten engines a week, and see how that goes. We don't want to suddenly flood the market with any particular type, so expect to see a fairly diverse and random bunch each week. So here are this week's offerings:"

There are probably a bunch of the engines worthy of the "I must have because it was David's"

But I tend to think this .049 is just another example of a bidding war ...... took me a full year to curb the URGE to WIN AT ANY COST!

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:19 pm

dckrsn wrote:In no way was I taking a shot at anybody with my comment.
By "rubbing off", I meant throughout life. Looks kinda snarky
this morning. Doh!
Bob

Not feeling like anything snarky was intended. I just like Roddie’s comments better than mine!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Location is part of it.  Australia has a harder time getting engines because of import fees.  Other members have talked about this.  It means that engines already in that geography are worth a little more as most examples would have to be imported.

Phil

edit:
I Forgot Oldenginerod was in AU already. He has a pretty good feel for prices I am sure. $50 is getting a bit high.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:47 pm

pkrankow wrote:Location is part of it.  Australia has a harder time getting engines because of import fees.  Other members have talked about this.  It means that engines already in that geography are worth a little more as most examples would have to be imported.

Phil

edit:
I Forgot Oldenginerod was in AU already.  He has a pretty good feel for prices I am sure.  $50 is getting a bit high.

Phil

There's no import fees or charges on anything less than $1,000AUD, so we can still bring in $5 product engines, so a local one going that high makes no real sense apart from nostalgia. Of course we have nowhere near the numbers of examples out here as what you'd see in the U.S. but they're not hard to come by and generally priced well below this example.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  halfpilot Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:10 am

Wow! Most of Europe applies VAT to imports starting at the £15 ($27 AUD) to £20 mark so you guys in Australia have it pretty good in comparison. VAT is applied even if the goods are second hand or used and regardless of whether or not the goods are available in country or not.
halfpilot
halfpilot
Formerly known as:
ThermalSniffer

Formerly known as:ThermalSniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:14 pm

ThermalSniffer wrote:Wow! Most of Europe applies VAT to imports starting at the £15 ($27 AUD) to £20 mark so you guys in Australia have it pretty good in comparison. VAT is applied even if the goods are second hand or used and regardless of whether or not the goods are available in country or not.

Don't worry, if the govenment gets their way it will all come to a crashing end soon. They want to apply our 10% GST (goods and services tax) to everything purchased on-line from overseas. Ebay have threatened to pull out of Australia if they go ahead.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  faif2d Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:52 pm

We had an engine collector here in Dallas die. There was a collecto of all things model related and his wife showed up with most of the collection. She had a knowledgeable person helping her price the motors and I scored a Willie Wylie fox stunt .35. It was marked at $75 but I paid $100 because it was worth it and she needed the money more than I did. There were a number of other sales that I watched where the same thing happened. She was crying some of the time from relief at the amount of money that was coming in. I have no idea what that motor would be worth but it is a very nice piece and I doubt that more than 10 or 15 were ever made. For those that may not know Willey made some super tiger ported pistons and liners along with a new head for a local combat class that needed a stunt .35 but what you did inside was wide open.
faif2d
faif2d
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down