Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Modeling and flying in Denver area
by balogh Today at 5:15 pm

» Killer bee clone/ hobbyking mini stick
by Geist Flieger Today at 4:57 pm

» Cox Space Bug question?
by Mark Boesen Today at 4:41 pm

» Killer Bees, They Look Legit to Me
by 66 Malibu Today at 4:03 pm

» Ace rc Me109/ Tee Dee Rc .09
by Geist Flieger Today at 3:27 pm

» Old Cox Advertising Scans
by NEW222 Today at 3:17 pm

» S1 R/M ? on build
by oldguy Today at 3:09 pm

» OK Cub Advertising Scans
by Mark Boesen Today at 11:34 am

» Norvel BIG MIG .061 R/C ¿?
by getback Today at 10:19 am

» Novarossi engine factory
by rsv1cox Today at 7:48 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2018
706jim's

"Pee Wee powered witch"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

DPC Models/AeroWerkes Scientific P-40 Red Tiger Reproduction

Go down

DPC Models/AeroWerkes Scientific P-40 Red Tiger Reproduction

Post  944_Jim on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04 pm

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...the kit sharing the delivery box is the Scientific Mitsubishi DPC Reproduction. To say I'm pleased would be an understatement. The build starts soon, and will be featured here:

Last edited by 944_Jim on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
944_Jim
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DPC Models/AeroWerkes Scientific P-40 Red Tiger Reproduction

Post  944_Jim on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 pm

A little more:

944_Jim
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:44 pm

I like the laser etching that marks where the wingtip braces go, and where the landing gear wire attaches to the landing gear plate. Also note the lasercut plywood wheels. I like that they don't melt like plastic ones when the retaining washers are soldered on.
The parts sheet includes a full size wing pattern to build over (well, two halves...better than the oil and flip way of days gone by).
The "decals" are reprints on sticker paper. We'll see how they stick and clear over with dope. Look along the left edge of the last picture...you can barely see the clear turtledeck.
944_Jim
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nice laser cutting

Post  944_Jim on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:12 pm

DPC Models laser-cutting is really quite thorough. I had all this cut out using a scalpel in about 10 minutes:
944_Jim
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A wing develops from sticks

Post  944_Jim on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:21 pm

I scabbed the trailing edges together, and made a scarf joint to connect the two leading edge pieces into one long one. Then they got notched, pinned down, and ribs glued in. The fuselage was 5 minutes this morning...everything is getting double-glued for durability.
944_Jim
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 pm

I think I'd like to build one of these P-40s. Are they now marketing this kit?
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 pm

Yes he is! His contact info is listed on his website.

http://dpcmodels.homestead.com

Tell him you want the Scientific Red Tiger.

He also has a few other box fuse, built up wing models. He has a Dauntless bomber and a Mitsubishi Zero listed. Check out the Hellcat in 1/2A on StuntHanger.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/dpc-scientific-hellcat-ok-cub-049r/

You may want to look at the thread from a few weeks back:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t11422-sold-walt-musciano-scientific-red-tiger-p-40-kit?highlight=Red+Tiger

This kit has just been done, so it isn't listed yet. You may want to wait until I finish the kit...mine is the first one off the laser-cutting and vac molding machine.

I have No Financial Interest.

Last edited by 944_Jim on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
944_Jim
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Cool. Thank you. I'll follow your thread...still have an intense interest in these little planes 50 years after first building them.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wing basically done. Fuselage close to done.

Post  944_Jim on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Still have to complete tail group. Stab and elevator will be sewn.
Bellcrank/landing gear plate needs to be completed and installed in wing.
Plastics need final fitment.
Paper/Paint will be last, of course.
944_Jim
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

More Red Tiger work

Post  944_Jim on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:27 pm

The canopy frame was painted using a paint marker to trace/fill the frame from inside. I practiced with a black Sharpie until I was comfortable with the process. Then the inside was cleaned with denatured alcohol to remove the Sharpie ink prior to the real deal in paint.
The outside is masked so when I dope it, the frame is still exposed and visible.

The turtle deck HAD a closed end, and the sides of the turtle deck  ballooned away from the fuselage uite a bit. The shape didn't fit the box fuselage very well...something about a pointy tail being marginally covered by the wider closed end didn't look all that good. So I chopped the end off in order to pull the sides of the turtle deck tightly against the fuselage. This glued joint is about an 1/8 inch wide overlapping seam all around. I spent two weeks trying to figure out how to glue the seam, and secure the turtle deck until the epoxy cured. I felt tape would not hold the turtle deck in place while the epoxy cured. I also needed a way to ensure epoxy stayed between the turtle deck and the fuselage. Rubber bands would pull the turtle deck down too much...to the point that the sides ballooned out breaking contact with the fuselage.
Basically, a jig was made that kept the turtle deck overlap sitting  on top of the fuselage sides. The process will be documented when I build the Zero or Hellcat. Since the back of the turtle deck was cut off, I made a two-piece plug to close off the end.
The parts will be showcased before final doping. The plug was sanded and shaped so the seam from the turtle deck flows through the plug...really a silly detail since the only way to see it will be to look under the stabilizer after it is fitted. The plug is also keyed with an insert that will slide into the opening in the turtle deck. The major piece is shown in situ...the minor piece will sit on top of the stabilizer. It has been rounded to carry the shape of the turtle deck under the fin/rudder.
Since I was basically rebuilding the back end, I took the time to change where the stab sits on the model. I think it is almost 3/16 inch higher than it would have been.
A 1/4 inch piece of flat stock was fitted to the inside of the back end. This will allow me to round off the bottom corners of the fuselage in an attempt to remove that "box" look. It will also allow for a more secure tail wheel mount. I hope the weight penalty is worth the strength!
I still need to finish the main gear and install it in the wing.
I'm also toying with the idea of making the wing removable...locating dowels and rubber bands may secure the wing for flight. This is still only an option, but one that could potentially make the model more portable for little weight gain.
In the end, I'm quite pleased with the canopy/turtle deck install. The rest of the kit is pretty basic.
More will be added later!

944_Jim
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 pm

944_Jim
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:49 am

944_Jim wrote:The canopy frame was painted using a paint marker to trace/fill the frame from inside. I practiced with a black Sharpie until I was comfortable with the process. Then the inside was cleaned with denatured alcohol to remove the Sharpie ink prior to the real deal in paint.
The outside is masked so when I dope it, the frame is still exposed and visible.

The turtle deck HAD a closed end, and the sides of the turtle deck  ballooned away from the fuselage uite a bit. The shape didn't fit the box fuselage very well...something about a pointy tail being marginally covered by the wider closed end didn't look all that good. So I chopped the end off in order to pull the sides of the turtle deck tightly against the fuselage. This glued joint is about an 1/8 inch wide overlapping seam all around. I spent two weeks trying to figure out how to glue the seam, and secure the turtle deck until the epoxy cured. I felt tape would not hold the turtle deck in place while the epoxy cured. I also needed a way to ensure epoxy stayed between the turtle deck and the fuselage. Rubber bands would pull the turtle deck down too much...to the point that the sides ballooned out breaking contact with the fuselage.
]

Jim,

I built a couple of planes with turtle back (Cosmic Wind, Toucan, Lil Roughneck etc. all R/C birds) and the best experience I gained was soaking the balsa sheets in hot water to allow easy bending and prevent ballooning of the back. Surprisingly, soaked balsa really bends well without cracking, and CA glue sticks to even wet balsa...(and to wet index and thumb fingers too)  Sorry if my advice seems commonsense..
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:19 am

Looking forward to reading all about here on this forum Jim, I don't have the time to visit others. Hopefully Kim will do a forum build too.

Bob
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 am

Nice looking kit there Jim , i will bee watching this to the finish . Thanks for letting us tag a long . Very Happy
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down