Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My NOS plane collection
by Oldenginerod Today at 7:58 am

» Lil Monster
by Oldenginerod Today at 7:50 am

» Accelerator accessory for .09
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:24 am

» Ordered a 1/2A Skyray kit
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» 1978 Cox Hobbies Catalogs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:38 pm

» P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..
by roddie Yesterday at 8:25 pm

» I bet not many COX collectors have this..
by KingofCox Yesterday at 5:03 pm

» 1968 Cox Hobbies Catalog
by Kim Yesterday at 2:53 pm

» PDQ/Brodak Baby Clown rebuild
by Bill steklenski Yesterday at 12:39 pm

» Hasbro "the Great Gassers"
by Bill steklenski Yesterday at 12:29 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2018
Kim's

"War Dog hauls the 2M B.O.T. out of Uncle Wayne's backyard"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Winter Project : R/C Air Car

Go down

Winter Project : R/C Air Car

Post  NEW222 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:04 pm

So, this winter I was wanting a new project. So, I stumbled across the RCM R/C Air Car. My dad had some scrap wood laying around that I took borrowed to make this. I wanted it as close to original as possible. I somehow even had a set of the 90 degree bellcranks! 72mHz radio, the only upgrade to modern is the use of a 7.4V lipo battery for power. As for engine, I had a tempermental MDS 40 laying around with throttling issues. But, as long as I can get it running and even have a little bit of throttle, I will be happy. I had a couple of very knowledgable people look at it and it was a poor throttling engine, and is why I pulled it from my airboat and replaced it. After buying it, I found the poor reviews on it, but when it ran, it did run very strong and well, just the throttling sucked! Anyways, I painted it with latex interior, 2 coats of polycrylic clear followed by a final coat of rattle can Minwax Polyurethane Oil Based clear. Without further ado.....

NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Winter Project : R/C Air Car

Post  NEW222 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:04 pm

Plans are available online, but if anyone wants a copy, I am also willing to send them to you.
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:29 pm

A nice project to entertain yourself! If you have a video it would be great!

About 30 years ago I made this car on air, I had material available, so I started working and I managed to stay for a long time.
He had steering on the two front wheels.
It was equipped with a potor OS .25 FP and servos futaba.

MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Wow MauricioB. That looks awesome. At least yours looked like an actual car, unlike mine. Unfortunately due to weather, I will not be running it anytime soon. But once I get it going, if I get it going, I will get some video of it if someone is around. Have a great day my friend.
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:10 pm

I like it!! Why couldn't you swap-out the front wheel for a metal blade.. and take it out on a frozen pond/lake? Eyebrows
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:05 pm

NEW222 wrote:Wow MauricioB. That looks awesome. At least yours looked like an actual car, unlike mine. Unfortunately due to weather, I will not be running it anytime soon. But once I get it going, if I get it going, I will get some video of it if someone is around. Have a great day my friend.

Thumbs Up Thanks buddy, that auto - air was very fast, it made it work in cement and almost "flew", I miss a brake system, but if today I decided a new project, it would be similar to this one, just that I would place a cage for the bumps and protection of the propeller, in addition to a rear brake. If I think I was about 14 or 15 years old when I did it, you can say "I achieve the objectives" Thumbs Up
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:48 pm

roddie wrote:

I like it!! Why couldn't you swap-out the front wheel for a metal blade.. and take it out on a frozen pond/lake? Eyebrows

Thanks roddie for the compliments. I really would like to do that, but with the engine running the way it did last, I will require quite a bit of bench running before setting this thing free. If I had a better reliable engine, I would do it, but I do not have anything reliable at the moment. The only other rc engine I got at the moment is parked for the winter at the cottage on my airboat. But, next year should be different. As well, I do not have much time running nitro rc engines (except Cox) and am not sure of running and tuning in extreme temperatures.
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Google search of MDS problems points to the carb. It’s possible a Perry replacement carb could fix the issue.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1576239-MDS-40-carburator-problems
Jason_WI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum