Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 Cox_ba12

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 Empty Re: TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project

Post  balogh Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 am

Thanks Brad. I also tached the HQ5030 prop in the setup shown below and found the TD049 R/C spinning it at 21.5k i.e. a massive 3k more than the COX black 5x4...I know the pitch is less but I did not expect such a development. Maybe apart from the 1inch less pitch the thinner airfoil and less prop weight both helped this static speed rise?

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 15180710
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 Empty Re: TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project

Post  balogh Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:13 am

Great vid Brad ...just asking, do you strengthen the lead edge of the Nano III wing with a layer of CA glue or anything just in case you hit a strong weed when landing?

You mentioned I should think of the engine thrust a bit. Do you have any offsetting angle on the engine shaft relative to the CL of the Nano III fuse?

I did not set anything hoping the genuine design of the VooDoo will have incorporated whatever was needed. Plus, the silicone exhaust extender with its face area and weight both is expected to drag the plane a bit to the right no matter if there is no thrust offsetting angle...what do you think?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 am

balogh wrote:

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 15180710

He looks beautiful friend!
I would not place an escape chamber, I would leave it free and scream !! Beer Cheers

MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 am

Do not recommend that prop it is no good for IC use.

That blade type is not as good nor safe to use.
You can clearly see the other props are made
with more beef connecting to the prop hub.
The type with the speed tips is best.

Yes I have right engine thrust always on all projects. CL planes typically have more offset.  
Combat CL have a great amount of offset they are fast typically with no vertical stab.

As far as engine thrust, test fly the plane as is if you need to add right aileron trim
then consider sanding the back of the engine mount so it sets on the firewall with
some right thrust. You need 3 degrees for RC use.

Prop weight will always slow down the top end rpm I like the carbon blend props
they put out more rpm and strength.

The leading edge has a natural two layers of monokote for protection.

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 Props10
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:13 am

Mauricio,

thank you. I will probably abandon the exhasut muffler and the extension after I have made sure the hot castor and the nitro will really not have any impact on the coating of the plane.

Brad, thank you for the advice.

Here are some alternate props I could see used on the Voodoo..

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 20180210

The black COX props are 4,5x4 and 5x4...
The white is a Grish (USA) 5,5x4
The grey is an APC 6x3

Without modifications which one do you think would be the optimum?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:03 pm

4.5x4 when it comes to Cox props.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Thanks Brad I will tach the 4.5x4
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:19 am

Despite the cold weather here I could not resist any longer to maiden the VooDoo..My concerns were whether the engine mount was missing the  offsetting a few degrees to the right to balance the gyro effect, and, finding the proper prop size.

The plane flew beautifully, meaning it  does not need any engine mount offsetting, it flies as straight as any well balanced plane would do.

Not knowing up-front the engine mount offsetting need, and for general caution, I put the low-pitch HQ5030 prop on the engine for the maiden flight, and noted this prop is just not providing the thrust the VooDoo needs: the engine unloaded in the air at such a high speed I first thought it had lost the prop, while the speed of the plane was just "nothing exceptional"..After I landed I found the prop in good order, but given its thin airfoil I have reasons to believe it "re-pitches" itself when reaching a certain speed..(Just wonder how it then behaves if driven by an electric motor at 30+k rpm???)

By the time of this recognition I was virtually shivering from the cold wind at the field, and decided not to continue the maiden exercise with the next, better prop, but made it for home.

Next time I will use the COX 5x4 and 4,5x 4 props as Brad advised, and also the APC 4,7x 4,25 I recently bought. Real IC engine props not some electric quadcopter trash,  these COX props will hopefully generate the thrust the VooDoo needs.

Will keep CEF posted...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Lol not trash just the wrong drone prop is all, no airfoil on that flat plate type.
I did encouraged you not to use it lol surprised you did. My fastest plane
flies with a quality carbon / blend HQ drone prop at 148 mph with a .05 engine.
Far from trash. HQ carbon blend speed tip 4045 amazing results at 36k rpm.
My second fastest airplane at 144 mph flies with a APC 5.25x6.25E

The larger 33" span plane had no issues flying straight with no prop torque from
that flat airfoil drone prop. The Cox prop will torque it over some but should not
be too bad with a 4.5D more so with the 5D

I am happy to know it has flown congratulations!!!!! Beer Cheers Clapping

Small Cox Logo RC Plane Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks Brad,

the HQ prop I used for the maiden for caution is just a simple nylon product with no carbon blend or whatsoever stiffening included...I will try this weekend - weather permitting - the 5x4 and 4,5x4 COX props, still hoping the torque from thicker props will not influence the straight flight too much, making the sanding of the engine mount necessary for a 3 degree offsetting. I will also try flying without the COX muffler and see how the ultimate engine power will fly the VooDoo...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:43 am

Yes congratulations on the maiden good to hear it fly's well / the cold weather dont take long to get it in gear when its time to go > RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 am

Thankis, Eric,

weather forecasts talk about nationwide snowfalls for the rest of the week here (nationwide is an overstatement with the country being less than 200miles wide ... lol!)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 am

Little country, big city. Second largest in Europe I believe.

I have always been fascinated by Budapest, divided in two by the Danube. Buda on one side and Pest on the other. Beautiful city with a colorful history.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks, Bob..with 2 million inhabitants Budapest the capital is not a small city but is certainly smaller than many in the rest of Europe, like Paris, London, Rome, etc...Have you ever visited here?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am

The Cox 4.5x4 with no muffler should get the job done the 5x4 will not put out
the rpm, but on a calm day the extra thrust would be good for loops etc. Yes hope
the larger plane is not effected by prop torque that way you can just enjoy speed
flying without needing any right aileron trim.

Airplane

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:27 pm

balogh wrote:Thanks, Bob..with 2 million inhabitants Budapest the capital is not a small city but is certainly smaller than many in the rest of Europe, like Paris, London, Rome, etc...Have you ever visited here?

Bucket list. My son retires this year and I would like to take one of those excursion cruises up the Danube. He has been all over Europe in the past and knows Germany and the rail systems.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Bob once in or near Budapest you should let me know and I will make sure you and yours will have some good time here...not just obligatory courtesy on my side, please take it seriously. Smile
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:22 pm

balogh wrote:Bob once in or near  Budapest you should let me know and I will make sure you and yours will have some good time here...not just obligatory courtesy on my side, please take it seriously. Smile

Thanks for the gracious invitation. I would love to see all the models you have posted about here over the years.

My son loved Munich when he was there during Oktoberfest and skied in the Alps. Your just a short jaunt over from Vienna, another of my dream destinations. If I get there, you will be sure to see me.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:03 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:The Cox 4.5x4 with no muffler should get the job done the 5x4 will not put out
the rpm, but on a calm day the extra thrust would be good for loops etc. Yes hope
the larger plane is not effected by prop torque that way you can just enjoy speed
flying without needing any right aileron trim.

Airplane

Spring arrived so quick here- minus 10ish a week ago with snow, and plus 17C today with sunshine - that I could test the final configuration of the TeeDeeVooDoo in the field today:

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 20180311

I added a Galbreath head with Nelson turbo plug and swapped  the COX 050 RC carb with a Tarno just to arrive at more stable rpm in the air..the COX RC gear did not work out well and I lost the idlescrew mid-air...too bad I like genuine COX stuff on my planes but you cannot have always what you want..the exhaust header helps keep the bird a bit less snotty in castor and given its 10mm bore it does not restrict the engine in addition to what the muffler already robs in rpm.

Man  this is a super fast plane at least probably the fastest I have ever flown including the Lil Roughneck that is some 3oz lighter.

We will have a long weekend next week with plenty of sunshine forecast and I just need to figure out why my Sony headcam is on strike before I make some vids.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:27 pm

Good to hear you where able to test fly it again.
Did your carb stop barrel have a spring on the set screw?
One trick I do when there is not enough spring load on anything
I stretch the spring out a bit to add more loading. You can order
another stop screw or tap it for a metric size perhaps 2mm.

What sort of rpm did you get out of that prop?

Small Cox Logo RC Plane Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Yes I also prestress the springs but the thread in the aluminum carb body wears loose by vibration and after that even the prestressed spring does not help. I have a few Cox RC carbs disfunctional for this reason. Maybe a bit larger metric screw self-tapping a new thread in the carb may help.

The 5x4 prop static speed in this setup is 18.6k.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

TeeDeeVooDoo- my current project - Page 2 Empty Flight vid of the TeeDeeVooDoo

Post  balogh Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:06 am

Finally, chilly weather and my Sony headcam both allowed me to shoot a few vids on the TeeDeeVooDoo. Here is a longer one:

balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:13 pm

cheers cheers cheers It even makes a zing noise as it goes by Paranoid moves on and is very stable congrats on the flight and getting some time outside!! Easter Bunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks Eric! RC Plane
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Beautiful as that model András Beer Cheers goes, congratulations!
I see that it even has a lot of autonomy in planning, I like that plane!
Tell me how you feel it in your fingers, is it fast ?, meets your expectations ?, leaves you wanting to fly it again and again? ...
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next