Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Cox_ba12

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Empty
Live on Patrol

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Empty A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk!

Post  Tee Bee Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:47 pm

So, last week I bought this Thermal Hopper from a local old-timer from my club who's been liquidating lots of his old stuff. Seems most of his old Cox engines have migrated in my direction over the last couple of years. Lots of crusty junk with a few nice ones mixed in. Anyway, he stumbled across this gem along with a few others and called me to come over and make a deal. The engine looks to be in great shape and after oiling it up, she turned over smoothly with a good pop. I'd like to keep this one for display and want it to be as close to factory as possible. The mounted prop is a Top Flite instead of the original vintage white 6x3. I'll be looking out for one of those. I've ordered the correct spinner and the proper mounting nuts and bolts from Bernie at Cox Int which were originally located in the lower right window of the package. That left the missing cardstock insert to contend with. I put up a request for this on the Facebook Cox page and here in the CEF wanted/for sale section. Levent Suberk came to the rescue! He recreated the graphics on his computer and posted up the results after I sent him the dimensions. I then downloaded the graphic and printed it out on standard paper to test the fit. Once satisfied, I loaded the file on a flash drive and made a trip to the local print shop. A few minutes later, I was holding 4 nicely printed Thermal Hopper package inserts printed on cardstock paper. When I got home, I test cut the windows from a paper version first to sort out the fit. Once satisfied, I cut out the final cardstock version. All that's left is to find the original prop.

Thanks again to Levent Suberk for his graphic work!

I've got a few extras printed up and ready to cut out if anyone is in need.

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Image124
A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Image123
A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Image121
A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Image122
A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Image120
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Empty Re: A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk!

Post  Kim Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:06 pm

BACK TO THE FUTURE !!! Magnificent !

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Images10

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Empty Re: A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk!

Post  Jason_WI Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Many thanks, Jason! Bought the lot. That all came together pretty quickly! Just have to wait for all the pieces to arrive now. This has been a fun little side project and successful thanks to the fine folks here at the CEF. I Love This Forum!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:13 am

Thimble-Drome didn't make props until late fifties, heres an ad from '60:
A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Cox60d10

wrong size but correct plastic for mid fifties Thermal Hopper:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAYSUN-7-x-5-pitch-propellers-Display-Box-RC-Airplane-Glow-Control-line-os-nos/152921142592?hash=item239acf7540:g:H2gAAOSweDhakb3e

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! 003_co11
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:26 am

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! 002_co10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:31 am

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Untitl11
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:57 am

Well crud. At least the prop is the right size and color for now. It wil display fine since no one else that visits our home knows anything about Cox engines. Smile The cylinder head looks like the one pictured on the left('56). It has some wrench marks on it, so who knows if it's original. I found a repro instruction manual to put in the box but not the correct wrench so far. I'm sure one will turn up in time.

Thanks again to Levent, Jason, and Mark for all the help and valuable input. It has taken this little engine from an interesting curiosity and made it a solid display piece for my Cox knick knack shelf. I need a bigger shelf!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:21 am

Well Done TeeBee for getting the display in correct correspondence Small Cox Logo I will look and see if i have a wrench but i dont think i do ?!?! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:25 am

Tee Bee wrote:Well crud.  At least the prop is the right size and color for now.  It wil display fine since no one else that visits our home knows anything about Cox engines.  Smile The cylinder head looks like the one pictured on the left('56).  It has some wrench marks on it, so who knows if it's original.  I found a repro instruction manual to put in the box but not the correct wrench so far.  I'm sure one will turn up in time.  

Thanks again to Levent, Jason, and Mark for all the help and valuable input.  It has taken this little engine from an interesting curiosity and made it a solid display piece for my Cox knick knack shelf.  I need a bigger shelf!

Got this odd little 6-3 'ish prop from I-don't-where. It's a little rough, but if it's special, I'll shoot it out for postage.

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! White_10

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! White_11

It's got a logo molded into it's blades that I don't recognize.

Junk Yard Kim

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:39 am

Thats a KaySun, I had one like that and it cleaned up well with 2000 wet or dry and Novus polish.
I can send a wrench that has some corrosion that I was going to refinish if you want it.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:29 am

Wow! I think that's the correct prop, Kim! And a wrench! This has become quite a team effort! I'll message you guys when I get home from the flying field. Smile
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 am

Hit the edges with fine sand paper, rubbing compound, toothpaste, etc., it should buff out easy.

...made in 'merica and still going: https://www.kaysun.com/

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! S-l16013
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:05 am

"Built in inertia"... I like that.

From now on I am not overweight, not even "heavy", or "have big bones", I just have built in inertia lol!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:10 am

Ha! Built in inertia. I resemble that remark, too.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:36 am

Tee Bee wrote:
A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Image120

Like a museum piece! Very very very nice!
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:40 am

Couldn't have done it without your support. Thanks again!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:41 am

KariFS wrote:"Built in inertia"... I like that.

From now on I am not overweight, not even "heavy", or "have big bones", I just have built in inertia lol!

Like on one of my medical reports they called me a "well fed patient of mediuum build.." I wonder why they did not call me outright a fat dwarf?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Nice teamwork indeed fellas!

Levent, what method and/or software did you use to scale and clean up the image? I assume you took the photo image and did some cad wizardry on top of it but it just happened so quick that it made me wonder Huh...
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 pm

This is the wrench, I was going to remove the corrosion and use gun black on it.
I mail it soon.

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Dsc01631
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:19 pm

That is most appreciated!!! Kim is sending out the Kaysun prop which I will attempt to clean up. I found a reproduction instruction manual on ebay. As I read over the parts list in Mark's post, I saw that the Thermal Hopper also came with a Space Bug decal. As luck would have it, I needed to order a few parts from Matt at EX Model Engines for some other projects. He sells replica Space Bug decals, so I added one of those to the order to place in the box as well. I will keep this thread updated when everything arrives.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:18 pm

KariFS wrote:Nice teamwork indeed fellas!

Levent, what method and/or software did you use to scale and clean up the image? I assume you took the photo image and did some cad wizardry on top of it but it just happened so quick that it made me wonder Huh...

Firstly I created an insert size 300 dpi page in a drawing software. I downloaded the insert photo from Bernie's web site and bring it to 300 dpi, then pasted it on created page. Resize needed. I searched internet for exact colors of the insert and found several images. Then I draw and type everything on several transparent layers. Finding exact blue and yellow need a little experiment, because colors on monitor and CMYK inks of laser printer differs. I profesionally make graphics and paintings, both with PC and traditional way, like as water color and oils. Smile
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:24 pm

Tee Bee wrote:That is most appreciated!!!  Kim is sending out the Kaysun prop which I will attempt to clean up.  I found a reproduction instruction manual on ebay.  As I read over the parts list in Mark's post, I saw that the Thermal Hopper also came with a Space Bug decal.  As luck would have it, I needed to order a few parts from Matt at EX Model Engines for some other projects.  He sells replica Space Bug decals, so I added one of those to the order to place in the box as well.  I will keep this thread updated when everything arrives.  

Instructions need to be cleaned? If needed let me know please.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Sorry I stomped on your thread TeeBee, I will remove what I can.

Last edited by crankbndr on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:01 am

crankbndr wrote:This is the wrench, I was going to remove the corrosion and use gun black on it.
I mail it soon.

A Thermal Hopper Story - Thanks Levent Suberk! Dsc01631

yep, that be it
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next