Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

test stands - experimental reed-valve test 5-5-18 - Page 3 Cox_ba12

test stands - experimental reed-valve test 5-5-18 - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by Boats13 Today at 12:43 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

test stands - experimental reed-valve test 5-5-18 - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

experimental reed-valve test 5-5-18

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

test stands - experimental reed-valve test 5-5-18 - Page 3 Empty Re: experimental reed-valve test 5-5-18

Post  ticomareado Sun May 06, 2018 11:38 am

Roddie, I'm very appreciative of the fact that you are conducting these reed experiments. I think I would have had some sort of tantrum by now, given my lack of patience and early onset of dementia. I'm not trying to be my usual smart-ass self here either, but I'm going to suggest that before you follow all these previous suggestions from other members, replace your prototype reeds with the original ones and see what happens first.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

test stands - experimental reed-valve test 5-5-18 - Page 3 Empty Re: experimental reed-valve test 5-5-18

Post  EXModelEngines Sun May 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Roddie,

Been following your tests and they are certainly interesting. I believe I have some very thin Beryllium Copper sheets which you are more than welcome to experiment with.

Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 06, 2018 9:29 pm

ticomareado wrote:Roddie, I'm very appreciative of the fact that you are conducting these reed experiments. I think I would have had some sort of tantrum by now, given my lack of patience and early onset of dementia. I'm not trying to be my usual smart-ass self here either, but I'm going to suggest that before you follow all these previous suggestions from other members, replace your prototype reeds with the original ones and see what happens first.

I appreciate your honesty. It's good advice that you give. I fall-short when it comes to compiling scientific-data. So far; I don't think that being "perfectly-symmetrical" is required of a reed's shape.. in order to function as well as a die-cut reed.

I never had a rotary-valve induction Cox engine until a few years ago. The "reedies" are what I played with. "In a way" it's a good thing because the reed-valve engines require a different set of diagnostic skills.. especially when it comes to the integrally-tanked engines.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 06, 2018 9:44 pm

EXModelEngines wrote:Roddie,

Been following your tests and they are certainly interesting. I believe I have some very thin Beryllium Copper sheets which you are more than welcome to experiment with.

Matt

Hi there Matt. I'd certainly be interested in a small sample-piece of that material.. say maybe one inch square? That would be enough for four .049-size reeds.

I have wondered if we have a CEF member who has access to a "Cricut" machine. A multitude of reed-shapes could be drawn/imported.. and easily cut with one of those machines. Perhaps the experimental reeds that "Jacob" (admin.) has, were made on a Cricut machine?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Mon May 07, 2018 5:10 pm

roddie wrote:

Matt

Hi there Matt. I'd certainly be interested in a small sample-piece of that material.. say maybe one inch square? That would be enough for four .049-size reeds.

I have wondered if we have a CEF member who has access to a "Cricut" machine. A multitude of reed-shapes could be drawn/imported.. and easily cut with one of those machines. Perhaps the experimental reeds that "Jacob" (admin.) has, were made on a Cricut machine?

Sure, I believe it is a small shim stock roll.

We looked into etching the BC reeds a while back, but they were a little pricey. Might revisit the project if there was interest.
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 07, 2018 5:43 pm

roddie wrote:

Matt

I have a Cricut machine and that is what I used to cut the experimental reeds. I've been watching your thread closely, really liking what I'm seeing. I would like to make the reeds available but they need testing to see if they are even worth dealing with. I wouldn't want to sell anything that doesn't work or creates a decrease in performance. They are based off a design that I hand-cut some years ago out of a floppy disk. The few that I did test seem to work. I was going to ask you if you were interested in performing a test with them. I just found some reeds I cut out awhile back (from the same run that you see pictured on the "Forum Store"). I also just recently got a new blade and cutting mat for the Cricut, so I can make more if needed.

If the metal is thin enough, it might cut it. The only damage it could do is to the easily replaceable cutting blade.

PM me your address and I'll send you some of these experimental reeds to experiment with.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon May 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Roddie , I know you dont want to hear it but thats what i am here for . The only way to get a true reading is with the same engine and fuel of coarse , rpm readings at peak performance ( i would want to see what the difference in needle setting were per reed and fuel usage )maybe ( Thats alot to do it right or just go with that one works OK ?! Unless the engine is a Hi performance like the killer Bee and if that is what your after i would only bee concerned with a good stead run . Changing the reed out will take some time involved but your quick mount will help with that . This Site Rocks! You are doing a kick ass job just keep at it . Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3