Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sticky Cox Engine Cox_ba12

Sticky Cox Engine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sticky Cox Engine Empty
Live on Patrol

Sticky Cox Engine

Go down

Sticky Cox Engine Empty Sticky Cox Engine

Post  strainst Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:16 pm

I have an old Cox dune buggy that I want to fix up for a friend. I have had the buggy for years. Found it at a yard sell. When I unboxed it, everything had a sticky coating. I was able to clean most of it using WD-40. What I have left to clean is the engine. I am guessing the sticky residue is old fuel?? What is the best way to clean the engine? Do I dunk in a jar filled with a solvent? If so, what solvent should I use? Do I take it apart first? I am not really trying to get it in running condition, I just want it to be in nice condition when I give it to him. Thank, Dennis
strainst
strainst

Back to top Go down

Sticky Cox Engine Empty Re: Sticky Cox Engine

Post  Marleysky Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am

1st off:  WELCOME to the Forum!  
You’ve done the easy part first. WD 40 the plastic body won’t do any harm.
Always start with the least abrasive cleaner (isopropyl alcohol and a soft cloth) and work your way up to toothpaste with out leaving scratches.
I Did a quick search on “cleaning” and found 47 posts on “cleaning”  here: https://www.coxengineforum.com/search?search_keywords=Cleaning+&typerecherche=interne&show_results=topics

It’ll depend on your definition of “nice looking” as how much effort you put into the engine clean up. No need to break it down or tear it apart if you don’t plan on running it.  A good cleaning with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol (91%) should remove the old sticky fuel residue.  If you want to make it look like new, you’ll have to use a  Dremel buffing wheel and aluminum polish for that mirror smooth finish.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi Dennis, Welcome to the forum. It may be best to hold-off on any more cleaning. Your friend (the recipient) may want to tackle that; where you're not planning on disassembling the engine to clean it internally. If there's a chance that your friend wants to run the model.. it's better to have one person do that work.. rather than removing the engine "twice".. i.e; once for cleaning.. and then again for rebuilding. Aged plastic screw-bosses are sensitive to repeated assembly.. and care must be taken when re-installing screws; NOT to cross-thread or over-tighten them.

A few of our active members have Cox Dune Buggy's.. so there are resources here for spare-parts.. and information about the model.

Best of luck Dennis.  Thumbs Up  Small Cox Logo
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  strainst Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:06 am

Thank you for the links to cleaning gunked-up Cox engines. A lot of information in those posts. My engine is completely frozen. I am concerned about some of the cleaning methods since the plastic flywheel is still attached and I don't want to damage it. I will try the alcohol first since I have some on hand. I will look to see if I have some acetone if I need to do additional cleaning being very careful around the plastic parts.
Dennis
strainst
strainst

Back to top Go down

Sticky Cox Engine Empty Sticky motor unstuck! Now looking for rear wheel inner rim and how it fits together

Post  strainst Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 am

The alcohol worked! Thank you for the information and directions in helping me to free up the motor. The next step is to try and get the rear wheel assembly off of the axle shaft. One of the two rear assemblies is broken. I have been looking for rear inner rim section. I have a good tire, outer rim, and the ring section that fits inside of the tire. I have not been able to remove the old inner rim section as it is glued on to the axle, I think with dried up fuel residue. I have not wanted to soak in alcohol for fear of the alcohol removing the black paint from the rim. When I find the parts I need then I can remove the broken section from the axle. Also how does it all fit together? The assembly on the other side seems to be all one piece. Does anyone have an extra rear rim assembly? If you need a picture or the part, please let me know. Thanks, Dennis
strainst
strainst

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down