Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Public service announcement for all Geezers!!! Cox_ba12

Public service announcement for all Geezers!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by DanMc Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 4:31 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by balogh Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:46 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 3:07 pm

» Removing old decals
by latole Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:29 pm

» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:52 am

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by getback Yesterday at 6:46 am

» COX Postage Stamp engine -Babe Bee & Horseshoe Backplate adapters
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Public service announcement for all Geezers!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Public service announcement for all Geezers!!!

Go down

Public service announcement for all Geezers!!! Empty Public service announcement for all Geezers!!!

Post  crankbndr Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 pm

About six weeks ago I came down with a case of the shingles, it really kicked my butt, still getting my strength back.
It started as a minor earache, popped four days of antibiotics and got worse so off to my Primary Dr.
He misdiagnosed the issue, said I had ear wax ( he is getting fired), so off to the ENT. By now pain was severe.
ENT took one look and said you have shingles, it attacked my ear and right side of face. For some reason it only attacks one side of your head.
I was on heavy steroids for weeks (that really has bad side effects) and had steroids injected into my middle ear five times (that was fun).
Ive lost all hearing in that ear and don't think its coming back.
They started immunizing children for chicken pox in 95 so the kids no longer get the virus. Lately there has been a spike in shingles in Geezers,
The CDC says no correlation, but I think they are full of it.
Bottom line GET THE VACCINATION FOR GEEZERS, it can also attack the eye so Im lucky I have sight in both.
If you feel unexplained ear or eye pain get to the Doc quickly, the sooner the better the outcome.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Public service announcement for all Geezers!!! Empty Re: Public service announcement for all Geezers!!!

Post  roddie Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Doug, I'm really sorry that you got Shingles. I came down with Shingles when I was in my late 30's. It was in the Summer.. and I actually thought that I'd gotten over-exposed to the sun. I was living a "single-man's" life back then; not eating well.. and burning the candle at both ends. I hadn't gotten a diagnoses until I was in a LOT of pain. I developed a rash around my waist/mid-section.. that was immediately recognizable by an emergency-room doctor. I was given an anti-viral, amitriptyline and oxycontin. The amitriptyline was prescribed to treat "nerve-pain".

At the time of diagnoses; the virus had already progressed to the point where my body was recovering.. and I didn't need to take any of the narcotic pain-meds.

The shingles virus can obviously manifest itself differently.. depending on the person. The Shingles vaccine is now recommended at a certain age.. but insurance-coverage needs to be checked beforehand. It's currently a VERY expensive vaccine.

I wish you the best.. and hope that your hearing-loss is not permanent.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Public service announcement for all Geezers!!! Empty Re: Public service announcement for all Geezers!!!

Post  Marleysky Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:36 pm

Geese, ya old geezer, sounds like you’ve had a rough go of it. 5 shots to the middle ear, man it makes me queezy! I do hope your hearing returns when the swelling and steroids wear off.  I’m not to fond of the medical profession. They should have a “billing meter “ at the bottom of the TV screen during those Doctor/medical shows that gives an accurate cost accumulating of all the tests and procedures they perform on the patients. One of our local TV investigator reporter teams did a short story on the “burden” of the Billings for the “Life Saving” cost associated with the AeroMed helicopter ambulance services. Wow, what an eye opener! You have no choice in the matter, you’re unconscious, the 1st responders determine you need immediate medical assistance and call for AreoMed. They fly out, pick you up and fly you back to the home base hospital. The lady in the story was “lucky enough “ to survive. Now she’s recovering. Can’t work, her insurance coverage Does Not cover any of the AirAmbulance charges ($35,000) Ouch!! Glad to be alive but has no means of paying off that tremendous debt, “forced “ on her without her personal approval.
Sorry. Didn’t mean to start a rant.
Glad to hear you are recovering, hope you get back to 100%
Public service announcement for all Geezers!!! 04d64710Public service announcement for all Geezers!!! F7493310
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:14 am

Yes, get the shot.

My son did after he saw my case of shingles about three years ago. Chest and one side mostly probably covering an area of about one square foot. Lasted about three weeks. No med's prescribed or required. Showering not a problem but toweling off was painful.

Can't imagine shingles in an ear CB. sympathy sent.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:47 pm

Ugh. I am getting over the shingles too. Right shoulder, and neck. It is in my beard and hair. The area was...impressive. down to my collar bone, and the same in the back.

The worst part is how much it hurts _NOW_ that it is mostly healed. I am told it is nerve pain, but it feels like buzzing, bugs crawling, or fluttering. On a pain scale I rank it low, but it is inescapably constant...

I was diagnosed as poison ivy, but that was changed after a day.

Read the shingles wiki. It is a reactivation of the chicken pocks virus and follows the nerves.

I am young, 41, so I did not even get consideration of the vaccination.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:30 am

Damn i hope you boys get back to normal soon (whatever that maybe) I had every kind of measles there was when i was young and mumps , can't remember having chicken pox though , next time in with insurance will get the Shot !! Shocked
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Boy, that's horrible. I got my shot 2 years ago and so far so good.

The medicos have kept me alive despite all odds, but not without my wife's and my insistent involvement, research, and coordination between providers, so I don't disrespect them too much. But I have walked(or hobbled) away from plenty of them too.

Good luck, Doug, I hope this clears up.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:21 pm

I've been very lucky to have good doctors along the way who encouraged me to take proactive steps to head off trouble.  My latest pushed the vaccinations for shingles and whatever that 'Old Guy Pneumonia' that was going around, wrapping it all up with another I can't recall, and a tetanus booster...always a good move considering how many times my fingers get torn up.

Of course, the REALLY good ones don't hang around...I just got a letter from his office that he's leaving to head up some specialized medical group.

Guess I'll now be 'doctor shopping' !!!!

Hoping for as a good/fast a recovery as you guys can get.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:57 am

Age 22 in Germany I got full blown Small Pox disease.

Wife was pregnant so I was quarantined to the Army barracks for 2 weeks

I pestered VA once the Shingles vaccine started being advertised on TV...finally got it at age 60

Now watch ambulance chasers on TV saying the Vaccine causes all sorts of problems...

Asked my doc if some of my current ailments could have been caused by the Shingles Vaccine Zostavax.... He is doing research

Not sure how I feel now on a lot of so called modern mediciene

Seems to me you take a chance either way....most Shingles outbreaks are not too bad to deal with...then comes the knowledge that ears and eyes can be badly damaged by it

Very rarely, shingles can lead to pneumonia, hearing problems, blindness, brain inflammation (encephalitis) or death. For about one person in five, severe pain can continue even after the rash clears up

as we age it is necessary to be educated

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Damn, I feel fortunate.

I'm pushing 81.....hard, and never felt better. Get up every morning with enthusiasm to go out and beat on that worthless MG of a motorcar in an effort to make it better. Not much luck there but I keep at it.

Today the "kids" came over, Susan, Terri, and Mark. Oldest to youngest to "celebrate" "Fathers Day". A made up PC day to offset the real meaningful Mothers Day. I always make some gesture to include the kids Mom, this time it was a complementary Baby's Book that my wife kept of our first child written in a hand as beautiful as she was.

No cards or gifts I always lecture, to deaf ears. We ate BoJangles chicken with all the fixings then kicked around the yard a bit looking at my corn and tomatoes then started the MG and reminisced about the old MGTC and the picture of my grand kids with Mark at the wheel taken many years ago. Thought about day before yesterday when I took my great grand kids for a ride in the MG. Got to get them back and take a picture.

My best card was from Terri written on the back of a Walmart bag. So her! But I had to go and spoil it - You spelled "favorite" wrong sweetie. We all laughed.

Fathers day. Not a fan but it has abilities to bring family's together. I have had more than my share of good fortune in life, and have much to show for it. But I would give it all up for just five real minutes with my wife.

Public service announcement for all Geezers!!! Fd_00910

Public service announcement for all Geezers!!! Mgtc_310
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:35 pm

Touching sentiments there, Bob. Keep on living life the way you're doing it now.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:15 am

That sounds like a Fantastic Fathers Day to me Bob , I feel you about you wife and understand more the trauma that comes with losing someone very close , I lost my dad the first day of the new year and has been about more than i can handle at times . This forum has helped me alot to stay in touch with friends Friends/Meeting
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:10 am

The creepie crawlies mostly stopped. 2+weeks of them.

May 25 was the first day I noticed something amiss
Diagnosed as shingles May 28
Fit for going out June 6
Still healing... it didn't really start to hurt till the blisters dried up.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am

I am still weak from the attack, still have some pain and lost hearing in one ear. It traveled down ear nerve and damaged it.
You are so young to have this attack, maybe everyone should get the shots. Most folks get it on the torso, they say 20% chance of reoccurrence.
I am getting the shots soon.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down