Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My new to me additions Cox_ba12

My new to me additions Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Simple Gliders
by getback Today at 7:13 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by getback Today at 6:24 am

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by getback Today at 6:23 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My new to me additions Empty
Live on Patrol

My new to me additions

Go down

My new to me additions Empty My new to me additions

Post  oldguy Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:10 pm

Picked up both of these from the evil bay. I think I got an ok deal. $23  total on the .15 And $35 total on the 25. Their both in great shape look to have little run time. Only thing that is burgered up is that who ever had them used pliers on the hub, bone heads Sad . Now I need to build planes for both.  I do more building than I do fying, anyone else fall into that category, maybe it's just me.  Oh Well.  Have a great day. Oh ya I have venturi's and nva coming for both.
My new to me additions Dscn0412
My new to me additions Dscn0413
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

My new to me additions Empty Re: My new to me additions

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:08 pm

I have come across this many times and it bothers the heck out of me. I chuck them up in a drill press on a shaft and file them, sand them and polish them out. The driver on the Fp is still  available and having the thrust washer behind it is important as well. Both still available. The LA series engine uses many parts from the FP. The crank, prop driver, backplate, needle assemblies, wrist pin are all still available. The wrist pin on the FP has nylon end pads, I would take a peek at this as they do wear out especially if used on a profile due to the bottom pad taking the weight. Currently these are out of stock. The FP comes apart very easily and the cylinder is indexed with a very tiny roll pin. The liner has a small notch in the rim so use caution when putting it back together. Also, the rod while it looks symmetrical, it has a slight haunch in it which keeps the rod centered under the piston. Make absolutely certain that you get it's orientation correct when putting it back together or else the rod will bind on the crank pin.

In addition, both engine pictured use a o-ring under the venturi stack. It's very important that these are intact. This sometimes require the use of 2 of them. They're very thin.   A  padded clamp to squeeze them down firmly with the venturi to install the spraybar could be in order as thumb pressure is not enough.  If not, the case heats up and starts sucking air. I have used Ultra Copper and Ultra Blue around the perimeter in addition to the o-rings if problems still existed. This causes erratic runs and poor fuel draw due to the leak and becomes apparent when the case heats up. These two engines will last your flying career if treated properly.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Ken Cook wrote:I have come across this many times and it bothers the heck out of me. I chuck them up in a drill press on a shaft and file them, sand them and polish them out. The driver on the Fp is still  available and having the thrust washer behind it is important as well. Both still available. The LA series engine uses many parts from the FP. The crank, prop driver, backplate, needle assemblies, wrist pin are all still available. The wrist pin on the FP has nylon end pads, I would take a peek at this as they do wear out especially if used on a profile due to the bottom pad taking the weight. Currently these are out of stock. The FP comes apart very easily and the cylinder is indexed with a very tiny roll pin. The liner has a small notch in the rim so use caution when putting it back together. Also, the rod while it looks symmetrical, it has a slight haunch in it which keeps the rod centered under the piston. Make absolutely certain that you get it's orientation correct when putting it back together or else the rod will bind on the crank pin.

In addition, both engine pictured use a o-ring under the venturi stack. It's very important that these are intact. This sometimes require the use of 2 of them. They're very thin.   A  padded clamp to squeeze them down firmly with the venturi to install the spraybar could be in order as thumb pressure is not enough.  If not, the case heats up and starts sucking air. I have used Ultra Copper and Ultra Blue around the perimeter in addition to the o-rings if problems still existed. This causes erratic runs and poor fuel draw due to the leak and becomes apparent when the case heats up. These two engines will last your flying career if treated properly.

Again thanks for the rundown on the engines, both engines came with the carbs and had the O-rings installed. I have no use for the carbs so will probably sell or give to someone that can use them.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:46 pm

As they are slowly aging and parts are more and more sold out....I pester several sources for future repair parts for my stash of 20/25 FP and 25 LA ....

I have both the Iron lung and ABN versions and becaus they are so easy to tame I only have one plane right now with Fox 35...For pure nostalgia I like the RM and Fox...but for a mostly problem free day of hack flying..I really appreciate the user friendly OS engines

You got a good deal on both of them
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:23 pm

oldguy, Peter Chinn did a 1976 writeup the RC version of that OS Max .15,

Sceptre Flight Model Engine Tests, OS Max 15 RC

It was one of the most powerful .15 plain bearing cross scavenge sport engines of the day. I have an NOS RC version that I hope to put to use one day future.

Well, I saw, it was lonely and needed company Surprised , and so I clicked "bid", and won it for only $9.99 plus $7.19 shipping today, an AP .09 RC Hornet.

My new to me additions 2018-021
My new to me additions 2018-020

Although its sister the .15 (actually .14) is a touch more powerful and a touch lighter, I like its looks (yeah, I'm into fashion statements tongue ), needle although RC would work good on a CL aircraft as it is out of the way of being knocked off during a nose over. This ABC Sanye based mild Schneurle engine does seem to be a decent sport engine. Shh
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 pm

fredvon4 wrote:As they are slowly aging and parts are more and more sold out....I pester several sources for future repair parts for my stash of 20/25 FP and 25 LA ....

I have both the Iron lung and ABN versions and becaus they are so easy to tame I only have one plane right now with Fox 35...For pure nostalgia I like the RM and Fox...but for a mostly problem free day of hack flying..I really appreciate the user friendly OS engines

You got a good deal on both of them

Thanks Fred, I have new R/M with a McCoy .35 installed on it, when I got this os .235 I thought about putting it on the R/M, but the footprint of the .25 is so different than the RH .35. The RH will stay put and I will have to buyild another plane for the .25 and the .15.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:34 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:oldguy, Peter Chinn did a 1976 writeup the RC version of that OS Max .15,

Sceptre Flight Model Engine Tests, OS Max 15 RC

It was one of the most powerful .15 plain bearing cross scavenge sport engines of the day. I have an NOS RC version that I hope to put to use one day future.

Well, I saw, it was lonely and needed company  Surprised , and so I clicked "bid", and won it for only $9.99 plus $7.19 shipping today, an AP .09 RC Hornet.

My new to me additions 2018-021
My new to me additions 2018-020

Although its sister the .15 (actually .14) is a touch more powerful and a touch lighter, I like its looks (yeah, I'm into fashion statements tongue ), needle although RC would work good on a CL aircraft as it is out of the way of being knocked off during a nose over. This ABC Sanye based mild Schneurle engine does seem to be a decent sport engine. Shh

Hey thanks for posting the  article.  Nice .09. I've got a new AP .15 I still have to break in  for new plane I built. A .15 size version of the California quicker.My new to me additions Dscn0320
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down