Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart? Cox_ba12

Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by roddie Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Mon May 06, 2024 3:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart? Empty
Live on Patrol

Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart? Empty Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart?

Post  Cox International Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Besides our free fuel guide as well as engine operating guide we are now developping a troubleshooting chart. It is located here:

Cox Engine Troubleshooting Guide

and we encourage the Cox community to have a look and recommend improvements. You can either email us at support@coxengines.ca or simply post in this thread.

Your help is greatly appreciated
Hand Shake

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart? Empty Re: Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart?

Post  nitroairplane Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:40 pm

Us moderators have been discussing emails in posts at the moment and we do not reccomend posting your email outside of PMs it is your choice if you leave it as it is a company on but it can still be picked up by bots.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart? Empty Re: Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart?

Post  Cox International Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Yes, fully understand the bots. I am versed in IT and I design and implement websites and their security protocols.

Since our email addresses are embedded into our various e-commerce sites and therefore visible to the spiders, posting an address here does not add much to the equation.

Culling addresses is actually quite simple, even if not visible on a site. Furthermore, the litte creepy-crawlers follow the posted and embedded links and, voila, they harvest lol!

Cheers
Bernie
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Well, I could see what I can do on redesigning it. It depends on if you want it fun, formal, classic (classic cox handout style) or whatever. I live less then 10 minutes away from the original Adobe offices and I know people who work there so I get a bunch of test trials on programs. I usually use
GIMP for most things though since anyone can download the program and open my files. GIMP works quite well, almost exactly the same as a basic/standard Photoshop.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Cox International wrote:Yes, fully understand the bots. I am versed in IT and I design and implement websites and their security protocols.

Since our email addresses are embedded into our various e-commerce sites and therefore visible to the spiders, posting an address here does not add much to the equation.

Culling addresses is actually quite simple, even if not visible on a site. Furthermore, the litte creepy-crawlers follow the posted and embedded links and, voila, they harvest lol!

Cheers
Bernie

Ok I just thought I would warn you just incase.
It is after all one of my duties as a moderator.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:22 pm

And it was sincerely appreciated. Most people don't know. Heck, some even email me with their 100 contacts in the CC section.

And now go critique our chart, will ya Very Happy
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:00 pm

Title should include "reed valve engines" and a picture

Below add the front venturi engines (picture)with note to clear crud from NV assy with 99% alcohol (drug store rubbing alcohol works) and blow out with light compressed air (computer cans of air work well)

The idea of soldering batteries in parrallel will work but YOU need to worry about liability... 99% of the time soldering will not overheat and blow up a single cell battery but I have seen button cells and NiCD bulge and vent gas

I recommend a picture of twin non rechargable "D" cells with tabs soldered in parallel and perhaps a note on how to prep for the solder with silver solder, sandpaper, flux etc... or link to the better method-- your fairly cheap duall D cell battery box

I know you have it in the engine "how to guide" but the trouble shooting guide should also remind about the unique fuel requirements 15%~35% Nitro and no less than 20% pure castor oil in methenol fuel blend...Perhaps a link to the glowplug boy Cox fuel or Sig Castor oil pint quart (very inexpensive) or note that drug store castor oil is usually good enough for these dinky engines and a suggestion that all LHS 15% or higher can have 3 to 5 oz of pure castor added per quart to make a good blend...some blends with synth oil will not hurt the motor but they do need the castor to seal compression and cool the top end properly. Alsothe con rod will die a fast death in synth only oil blends as it will not creep into the ball joint like castor will

The big three that I usually diagnose for cox 049...bad fuel... crud in NV... crud or damaged reed... and if owner took apart I am usualy sure the venturi seal is damaged or missing

Pictures really are woprth a 1000 words... exploded view and close up of venturi "o" ring, "reed" and retainer. Dirty and clean Needle valve etc
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks Fred.

I will print, peruse and add from your suggestions.

The chart was intended for rotary valve engines as well and that is why I qualified some troubles and problems.

Not worried about the battery liability as the one from a running engine is way bigger. That aside I perefer selling our battery boxes to modellers soldering - Very Happy

Good idea re referring back to our fuel guide (which contains links to vendors).

Bernie
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:18 pm

I know from your TS guide that you intended clean ans simple

Please consider very detailed and comprehensive

I hate to think of how many 049s I killed untill I learned all the quirks and nuances of the dinky power plant

I alwyas thought Cox stuff was cool but the documentation was dreadfully inadequate...well on the other hand they sold me and my dad a lot of product so perhaps there was a method to thier madness....grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks Admin and Fred.

The idea is "simple" but I am open to suggestions; hence my enlisting 3rd party help on this board.

The thing to consider is that our average customer is 65 years old. Many do not have a PC, let alone an internet connection. Those that do often struggle with the technology. Trust me on this one. My staff and I get the calls all day long and we end up mailing paper catalogues and instructions via snail-mail.

We are but a 3-person operation with limited resources and need to limit the resources we devote to "freebies". Hardly a day goes by where we don't help someone with a product they bought from a competitor, often at lower pricing. The pitfalls of being the only seller of Cox items with a toll-free tel. # lol.

Basic fuel guide, operating guide and troubleshooting guide for the masses is what we are striving to offer. After all, it's free and downloadable - way more than was available even 2 - 3 years ago.

Please keep the recommendations coming or, hey, submit a full and comprehensive guide and we'll honour the author with his/her name Laughing

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Are you looking for a picture guide? I could work on one and see what you think of it. It may take some time gathering the images. Maybe a week or 2.

Also, are you going to print to color or in black and white only?
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:15 am

Here it is. It contains all the information you wanted. I have added "how to use your cox wrench" and how to attach your glow plug clip. I have designed it so it can be folded into this little pamphlet so it can be included with engines and easily sent in the mail. If you need help folding it, just ask Smile ! Fig.1 and the wrench may look a little blurry but it turns out looking good when printed. Is there anything else you would like added or changed? I did create it in Microsoft Word (yes, I used word) and if you want to edit it yourself, I could send you the doc as long as you have a version 2004 or newer. Over time it will probably get things added to it or a better version may be made. Anyways it took me around 2 hours to set it up and complete it. If you like it go ahead and use it, if you don't then don't.

Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart? -810

Download PDF

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:08 am

I think it's perfect.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:34 am

that...is really cool. we have to post that into the guest area, so people can get immediate help with ay cox related problem...
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:58 am

GermanBeez wrote:that...is really cool. we have to post that into the guest area, so people can get immediate help with ay cox related problem...

I second that because then we can knock
Out many of the newbie questions
In one go.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:36 am

Admin,

I think it's awesome!!!

We run MS Office 2010 on all machines so, yes, please send an MS Word copy to my biz email and I'll retrieve if from home, where I am on weekends.

I will sugegst some changes/additions, incl. the correct non-toll free phone # and email it back to you.

We can host it full colour but we only physically print B & W at the office as our catalogue is 90 pages long and colour would be cost prohibitive.

The idea, as with the catalogue and other guides, is to make them available web-based only, except for customers that don't have internet access. For those we print duplex and send snail-mail.. shudder Rolling Eyes

I would also like you to entertain the possibility of creating for us, for remuneration (preferably as merchandise credit) operating and fuel guides. We have something basic here:

http://coxengines.ca/pages.php?pageid=5

and here

http://coxengines.ca/pages.php?pageid=6

Anyhow, one step at a time and thanks in advance for the Word version of the TS guide.

Bernie
www.cointernational.ca
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:19 am

Glad you like it! I'll see what I can do about those other sheets. Do you want those folded into a little pamphlets as well? I'll send you the word .doc. I did get those phone numbers off your site so if there is something wrong with them, you better go check those out.

Admin
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:31 am

Our phone #'s are published on every page in red at the top:

http://coxengines.ca/

but I did some digging and found where you got the old #. Thanks for pointing this out and I will make the change on our server.

A foldable version may exceed one double-sided page, no? Unless one went to smaller type. I think regular 2-page view is best for the web but if you also have a foldable version that is great for when we physically mail them out.

We have been mulling over whether to include comprehensive operating, fuel and TS guides with all our engines or not. This is part of possibilities we are looking at as we are overhauling our eBay and other site this month. We had a pro photograper shoot all our products are we are in the process of selecting and cropping them for the revamp.

If you need wrench, engine, glow clip, battery box (preferred to the single-battery version) pics for the guide let me know and I'll send 1,200 x 1,200 x 96 pics.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:49 am

Cox International wrote:Our phone #'s are published on every page in red at the top:

http://coxengines.ca/

but I did some digging and found where you got the old #. Thanks for pointing this out and I will make the change on our server.

A foldable version may exceed one double-sided page, no? Unless one went to smaller type. I think regular 2-page view is best for the web but if you also have a foldable version that is great for when we physically mail them out.

We have been mulling over whether to include comprehensive operating, fuel and TS guides with all our engines or not. This is part of possibilities we are looking at as we are overhauling our eBay and other site this month. We had a pro photograper shoot all our products are we are in the process of selecting and cropping them for the revamp.

If you need wrench, engine, glow clip, battery box (preferred to the single-battery version) pics for the guide let me know and I'll send 1,200 x 1,200 x 96 pics.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca

I just sent them to you right before I read you message. I'll change the numbers and also break a copy into 2 pages for web viewing. If you want, you can ignore the .zip file I sent you as I'll send you a new updated one.

Admin
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:53 am

That's a nice little booklet,,good work on that. Pretty much covers it for the top layer troubleshooting I think.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:24 pm

I can make a bulleted list of everything I know(that I can still remember) about Cox reedies; operating, rebuilding, troubleshooting, etc.
You can cherry pick it, maybe I know something useful everyone else doesn't. I'll type it up over the next couple of days.
Hope that helps,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks Rusty.

Why don't you send a copy to Admin and Jacob can see if he can cull any of your thoughts and integrate them into the guide he has created for us.

Thanks again.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Okay Bernie, I will.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:23 am

After working on it off and on all day, I have the Fuel Guide completed.

Can we get some help designing our Cox Engine Troubleshooting Chart? -910

If there is anything you want changed, let me know. Again, if you want the Word doc, I can send it to you.

Download PDF

Jacob - Admin
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:44 am

Jacob --

One small correction. To use the Castor Oil Calculator, you need to have Microsoft Excel 2003 or later.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next