Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 8:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 6:46 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Admitting stupidity in a public place

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Empty Re: Admitting stupidity in a public place

Post  Kim Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:50 am

So, this may not be the EXACT same thing, but it's definitely in the neighborhood.  Back in my swing shift days at the diaper factory, I was often irritated with my inability to cope with night shifts and the time I wasted walking around like a zombie as I tried to recover from them.  People I worked with seemed to take it in stride, while I was nursing pounding headaches and nausea.

"MAN-UP!!!", I'd say to myself, as I drove home with my head hanging out in the breeze like dog going for a car ride.  "Let's do a little project work, and THEN go to bed!"

Well, sometimes, it IS better to zombie-out and not try to do anything more complicated than to collapse on the couch or bed.

The following is a photo of my old Ken Willard "Pool Boy" flying boat, and a simple doodle of the one I tried to build before it (which was unceremoniously burned before anyone could see it).

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 1_42

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Pool_b10

I now never go to sleep without muttering a prayer of thanks that those shifts are all behind me.

Last edited by Kim on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Empty Re: Admitting stupidity in a public place

Post  getback Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:50 am

Yea Bob typo Huh... If you got a chuckle out of it then Cool! Now as we take the F out of Fun >>> but really good information << i have a fuse upstairs that i built years ago and its built up constitution and after putting it together i realized that it was as fat in the rear as in the front looks pretty darn stupid so not been finished maybe a pic if i get up there today ? Heck i am surprised any of my home made builds flew after what i think i know now lol! lol! I Love This Forum! Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:02 am

Rusty, thank you very much for taking your time to explain that all. It was a very good read. I did know about hanging the model from teh wintips, but honestly kind of forgot till you mentioned it, but I knew nothing about the part of looking at it head on and checking that for trueness as well.

And also thank you for explaining how to do a proper loop. I will definately be trying it again next year.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 am

Kim wrote:So, this may not be the EXACT same thing, but it's definitely in the neighborhood.  Back in my swing shift days at the diaper factory, I was often irritated with my instability to cope with night shifts and the time I wasted walking around like a zombie as I tried to recover from them.  People I worked with seemed to take it in stride, while I was nursing pounding headaches and nausea.

"MAN-UP!!!", I'd say to myself, as I drove home with my head hanging out in the breeze like dog going for a car ride.  "Let's do a little project work, and THEN go to bed!"

Well, sometimes, it IS better to zombie-out and not try to do anything more complicated than to collapse on the couch or bed.

The following is a photo of my old Ken Willard "Pool Boy" flying boat, and a simple doodle of the one I tried to build before it (which was unceremoniously burned before anyone could see it).

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Pool_b10

I now never go to sleep without muttering a prayer of thanks that those shifts are all behind me.

To quote you - Testify Kim. Confession is good for the soul. Smile

I have lotsa love for that "Pool Boy" Kim. Reminds me of the "as bought" MG's that I have owned. Were the wheels removable so your could rise off water?

Mark completes 30 years with Raytheon in December and retires. Last four years getting up at 3am and fighting 40 miles of DC area traffic in and out. He will be happy when that is behind him. Deer strikes, cracked windshields, and 18 wheelers jockeying for position.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Empty Over / Under or thru?

Post  Marleysky Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Bouncing between here and a few balsa related sites on Facebook I found a picture and plan of a home built plane with the controls on top. Notice that the bellcrank is mounted to the fuse with a couple of through bolts.   No worrying about wing ripping with that angle bracket?  Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Bc6d6910
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Marleysky wrote:Bouncing between here and a few balsa related sites on Facebook I found a picture and plan of a home built plane with the controls on top. Notice that the bellcrank is mounted to the fuse with a couple of through bolts.   No worrying about wing ripping with that angle bracket?  

Nice representation of a P-51 Rene, regardless of who built it.  Could of squared off the top of the vertical stab though.

Never saw that bell crank mounting.  And, I have been thinking about it.

Is it best to stress the fuselage or the wing with centrifugal force by mounting the BC on one or the other.  Mostly because I have decided to just CA the wing to the fuselage at the contact points rather than bead epoxy the whole length.  Seems as though the wing suffers the most stress/pull while the fuselage just goes along for the ride.

I guess the danger would be pulling the button mount out of the wing.  But that sits at a 90 degree angle to the wires (hard to do) while the fuselage mount is a straight pull-out.

The captured wing on my BR is a tight fit so I believe the CA alone will hold it.  

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Br_w_010
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:20 pm

rsv1cox wrote:The captured wing on my BR is a tight fit so I believe the CA alone will hold it.  

That looks really good Bob. I believe that the CA will hold alone, espically seeing as it is a 1/2a design. I would use CA only too if my wings fit as nice and tight as yours. I only use epoxy sparingly as a fillet for one reason..... Shocked
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:46 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

Bob. I'd like to make one suggestion if I may.  It only regards aesthetics as you've done a great job with the build- Please consider extending the painted canopy further forward.  I don't wish to sound picky, but it has irritated me a little ever since you first showed us.  I personally think it would make the plane look so much better.  That's just my opinion, but looking at other Ringmasters the canopy generally extends further forward.  (Besides, there's no way the pilot can see where he's going Laughing )

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:06 am

[quote="Oldenginerod"]
rsv1cox wrote:

Bob. I'd like to make one suggestion if I may.  It only regards aesthetics as you've done a great job with the build- Please consider extending the painted canopy further forward.  I don't wish to sound picky, but it has irritated me a little ever since you first showed us.  I personally think it would make the plane look so much better.  That's just my opinion, but looking at other Ringmasters the canopy generally extends further forward.  (Besides, there's no way the pilot can see where he's going Laughing )

Rod.

My eye goes to that too Rod, especially on the starboard side. Thought about painting an eye there. It looks like a bug anyways. Smile

I tried to duplicate my original BR as close as possible right down to the tail skid, so I traced the originals canopy on some masking tape and used that as an outline, might have got it a little to far back. I didn't replicate the tail sections error though. Smile

A sentimental favorite, the original BR was the first model that my son flew C/L. It's been around. Rhode Island where it was born, Maryland, Florida, Colorado, and now West Virginia.

I shipped it to my son in Colorado where he flew it in the ninety's but he was mostly into R/C by that time.

I could quite easily mask off a separation and paint on a forward windshield, but I would have to do it to both of them.

Admitting stupidity in a public place - Page 2 Brm_r_11

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:47 am

I dunno, makes them look kind of sleek and racy to me, like they belong in Reno.  Like 'Precious Metal' or 'Strega'.  Maybe paint in the top of a helmet and the top half of some sunglasses or something.

Happy Birthday Rod, by the way!
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2