Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Cox_ba12

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 10:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by F4D Phantom II Today at 10:06 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 9:50 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:59 pm

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 8:19 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 6:19 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:49 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 1:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 12:15 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 9:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 9:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Empty
Live on Patrol

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension......

Go down

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Empty Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension......

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:05 pm

My "disassembly" post didn't receive high (any) remarks so I dunno.  Pretty boring I must agree.

But I press on.

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Cox_m107

The good news is the suspension actually works.  Not as complicated as some but still interesting if that's your thing.  The bad news is the front suspension is fragile and subject to breakage and lock-up due to castor goo freeze.

The front suspension consists of  a control arm linked to a solid axle pin fixed at the front and secured within the two body halves.  Molded in is a caged multi link apparatus that is there for looks only.   Travel is accomplished and limited by the flex of the control arm and rotation around the axle.

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Cox_m108

The problem is, once the engine is ran and castor oil is exhausted forward onto the axle, it gets between the arm and the axle locking it up and reducing the travel of the suspension to the flex of the arm alone.  

Only cure is to remove the whole assembly and clean the axle and arm.  Not easy.  Usually the wheel is castor locked too and without heat impossible to remove.  The arm more so.  Mud recommends using a hypo needle and alcohol injected into the arm.  A great idea, but I'm an impatient person and use a heat gun on low heat directed right at the arm while carefully rocking the arm back and forth on the axle until the castor goo is loosened.  A risky maneuver as these arms are fragile.  But, I have done twelve of these using this method without mishap.  

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Snow_e11

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Snow_e12

Cleaning the axle before removing the suspension piece helps.

This guy, from a parts car that I bought wasn't as lucky.  

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Cox_m109

I used hot water to loosen the old glue and scraped the old glue off (he had glued the arm on the spindle upside down) leaving marks.  I re-glued it correctly and it's a perfect if not pretty fix on a part that is almost unattainable.

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Cox_m110

The rear suspension is easy.  No castor goo to mess things up.  

Same principle, a control arm secured at the front with two pins and free rotation around the real axle.   No caged multi link simulation.  I have covered disassembly in a previous post.

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Cox_m111 

This car is a work in progress, and a bad/broken parts magnet. It will be a runner.

Next up - Driveline
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Empty Re: Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension......

Post  KariFS Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:21 pm

Boring? Au contraire, my friend!

(In my best Bogart impression) Bob, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful project Very Happy
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Empty Re: Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension......

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:27 pm

KariFS wrote:Boring? Au contraire, my friend!

(In my best Bogart impression) Bob, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful project Very Happy

Thanks kari, my lack of response observation was made in good humor.

Re-reading my text I should go back and clean up my grammar and add a comma or two. But I hope the pictures make up for my lack of clarity.

There is just so much more to these, I could write a book.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Interesting. I never knew that the had working suspensions, even if very minimal. Is there a possibility of ever-so-slightly enlarging the hole in the plastic piece so that you could lubricate the shaft so that it does not get locked up by goo?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:26 am

NEW222 wrote:Interesting. I never knew that the had working suspensions, even if very minimal. Is there a possibility of ever-so-slightly enlarging the hole in the plastic piece so that you could lubricate the shaft so that it does not get locked up by goo?

It's an unavoidable design flaw in that the front wheels and suspension are subject to castor lock.  The rear wheels and suspension, no problem as spent castor does not get back there.  Same with engines, put them away dirty and they get locked up over time.  After use I always flush all my engines with Remoil and then add a drop or two of after run.

Most of these, I have eight now with one coming, arrive with castor locked front wheels and suspension.  I take them all apart anyway so no problem for me.  Spent castor gets all over everything in that confined space and the exhaust blows it forward.  Maintaining the wheels is simple after a run, just flush with a light oil and spin.  Not possible with the spindles, kingpins if you will.

Mud says alcohol injected at the seam works.  And it does, but it takes time.  I used it to clean the clogged vent tubes in the tank and fuel intake line filter, both jammed with castor.  

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Cox_m112

Anyone up for a primer on the Cox Mercedes suspension...... Cox_m113

Works better than Simple Green.  But it's a tight fit between the axle and the plastic suspension piece and I found the careful application of heat to work really well to remove it completely.

The suspension does have about a quarter inch of travel, so after a run maybe a light oil application to the joint may put off castor lock.  Otherwise the suspension will lockup and the only travel will be in the flex of the arm, but most of the suspensions travel is in the flex of the arm anyway, both front and rear.  

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down