Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My "stupid moment" report Cox_ba12

My "stupid moment" report Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My "stupid moment" report Empty
Live on Patrol

My "stupid moment" report

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My "stupid moment" report Empty My "stupid moment" report

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:26 am

We've all had 'em.  Times when we've said "Man, that was dumb".

Sorry, no pictures at this stage. Sad

Some background.

Many of you would know, I display vintage engines at heritage rallys and the like.  I often take along my display board containing a dozen model engines of various types, ages and sizes.  I always get a lot of comments and questions about my OS FS-60 open rocker.  Mostly, people ask if I could run it for them.

We had a local country show (fair) yesterday and the theme was "Hobbies and Motors".  They had things like steam engines, monster trucks, racing lawn mowers, and of course, our vintage cars and stationary engines.  I thought "here's the perfect opportunity to give the OS a public run".  I have run it before but not for some time.  I mounted it up nice and solid to a saw horse which I pegged to the ground.  Attached a nice wooden throttle lever and mounted the tank.  I ordered a nice new 12X5 wooden prop for the display, plus the old prop that was fitted was a little unknown for public safety and was not balanced too well.  I reemed out the prop, fitted it up and thought it looked a treat.  For the test run, I followed the instructions to the letter.  Open exhaust valve, prime generously through the exhaust, wind it back (clockwise) against compression, hooked up the battery and whacked the prop backwards against compression.  It works a treat.  Bounced right over and off it went.  Great.

Now, come show day.  Follow the procedure again and sure enough, off it goes first hit.  But, throttled back to idle too early and it stops.  No problems, except by now, a crowd had gathered having heard it running.  Here's where it goes wrong.  I forgot the procedure in my haste to impress the crowd.  Pulled it around on compression, finger in the prop, gave it a flick (as I would with other engines) and "BANG", straight across my right index finger first knuckle.  Blood everywhere. Affraid or WOW!

"That's the end of the show folks".  Embarassed

Lucky I changed the prop.  The nicely rounded "soft" edge of the wood was a much better choice that an old sharp plastic one.  Did enough damage as it was.  Saved the crowd from having to help me find my severed finger in the grass & dirt.

The very embarrassed Rod.

Happy Australia Day Embarassed
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

My "stupid moment" report Empty Re: My "stupid moment" report

Post  getback Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:29 am

If i ever wanted to bee at the fair in Australia THAT would have been the day , lol! lol!  Laughing with you Rod !! Man i didn't know you did exhibitions , show and tell with aero engines , That is Cool Smoking I know when i make running and fling vids. i feel pretty stupid when i watch them because of my country talk tongue lol! lol! Thanks for the Chuckle first thing in the morning . Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:40 am

Hey Rod,

I've got nerve damage in my right index finger from reaching THROUGH the prop (APC) of my Lazy Bee to adjust it's needle valve! It looked like a scene from a cheap horror movie with an overzealous special effects tech. Not sure what I was thinking (obviously not on the task), but got a permanent reminder of that half-second lapse.

So give yourself a break...it's only the players that risk getting hurt!

Danger Zone Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:26 am

"We've all had 'em. Times when we've said "Man, that was dumb".

It's a daily occurrence with me Rod. No, I mean really! But then I'm old and have an excuse. Smile

Yes, I still have scars to prove it. One set right across the veins in my wrist. Thankfully from a 1/2A engine, otherwise I might not be here. Not many ambulances and paramedics in rural NH in the '50's.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:52 am

Hello Rod, maybe from the outside it looks like something terrible, for those of us who love this, it is a reminder of our adventures. Each scar has its history ... and that speaks of our own life.
For those who do not know anything, (the public), that is a clear example that this hobby should be taken seriously, the example is very practical.
I have several scars ... I enjoy them, they will leave with me when I am no longer in this world, so, the practical record of things lived! Clapping
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:47 am

Sorry Rod, Hope the cut wasn’t too bad. Nothing to be embarrassed about though. Like Kim said only players get hurt. It could have been worse.

Get a leather glove for next year. A bruise is better than a cut.

I can just imagine there are a bunch of Aussies out there saying “Crickey! Those model engines are daayngerous!”

lol!

No reason to Sook get yourself a slab and laugh it off!

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:24 am

Ouch!! Sorry to hear you got hurt, hopefully it is not too bad.

I hope you will still continue doing these demonstrations, that is very cool, especially in an event where there is a large amount of gearhads present.

As the others said, wounds will heal (hopefully) and the scars will remind of the past adventures. As they say, ”what doesn’t kill you, makes your story longer” Smile

Last edited by KariFS on Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:37 pm

Hey Rod... Thank you for posting about your incident. Something like this can happen at any time.. to anyone who enjoys running model aero-engines. Rest assured that I will pause and think, before "flicking-over" an air-screw..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:
I can just imagine there are a bunch of Aussies out there saying “Crickey! Those model engines are daayngerous!”

lol!

No reason to Sook get yourself a slab and laugh it off!

Hey Ron, well done on the Aussie vernacular.

As for the slab, well, I'll end up on one some day, but as I can't stand beer, I won't be drinking a slab.

As a side note, the Political Correctness police tell us now we can't call someone a sook.  Apparently it's now considered a form of bullying.  We're getting soft.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:47 pm

Yeah, hey thanks for the sympathy, but I'm not crying over a little cut. I bleed daily as a mechanic. My hands are so banged up no-one will ever notice another scar. The sad part is that two days before I jammed the same finger replacing a clutch and ended up with a black nail, so it was already tender.

The rules we work under with the vintage machinery is that "no aircraft engine is to be operated in public with a propeller attached." That's the stipulation of the insurer. Because I'm not in a model aircraft club, I don't have specific insurance. Just thought for the sake of the show I'd give it a run this time. The othewr guys weren't bothered.

Along with our old engines popping away all day, my display of model engines does get a lot of attention. There's always lots of old guys come up to the fence and recall stories of their younger years trying to start cranky old diesels (which were very popular out here). There's always a scar or two shown.

These big engines do scare me a bit. The FS-60 is nice because it's very "mellow" and doesn't make a racket. The tiny rockers and valves fascinate people as well. I guess I could have used an electric starter but I wanted to keep it "old school". I admit that I put myself in danger. If I have of whacked the prop backwards like the instructions said then it wouldn't have happened.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

My "stupid moment" report Empty Identifiucation challenge

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:51 pm

Here are some "file" shots of my engine display board.  You'll note the prop of the FS-60 looks a little tatty, hence my wood prop upgrade.

I'll set a challenge for all engines in the display to be identified.

My "stupid moment" report Lsa_8910

My "stupid moment" report Lsa_8911

My "stupid moment" report Lsa_8912

My "stupid moment" report Lsa_8913
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 am

We all seem to have had our romantic moments of intimacy with our critters' props...

I proudly wear these scars once inflicted by a TeeDee051 when I reached over the prop to set the carb...thin skin on finger cut right through to the bone...

My "stupid moment" report Scarfi10

On this one I was much luckier since it was  my 1HP OS Max 56 FS alfa engine on the Denight50 that idled on the ground when I reached across the prop, and it missed the vein just a centimeter...took a meter or so Scotch tape to fix it in the grassland so that I could continue flying without the need to see ER for stiches on the edge of my hand ( remembering Jimi Hendix' Voodoo Chile lyrics: "...well I am standing next to a mountain, and chop it down with the edge of my hand..." )

My "stupid moment" report Gestur10
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:51 am

It's cool that your post ended up being a "Safety Thread" !!!

It never hurts (pun intended) to be reminded of the nature of our little beasts, and their willingness to take their pound of flesh if presented the opportunity!!!!

I've improved significantly over the times where a fresh bandage was just part of the flying day, but a reminder is always a good thing!

My "stupid moment" report Mud_da10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:12 am

Yep, been there:

My "stupid moment" report Image21

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

My "stupid moment" report Empty Engine I.D.

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:59 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Here are some "file" shots of my engine display board.  You'll note the prop of the FS-60 looks a little tatty, hence my wood prop upgrade.

I'll set a challenge for all engines in the display to be identified.

My "stupid moment" report Lsa_8910

My "stupid moment" report Lsa_8911

My "stupid moment" report Lsa_8912

My "stupid moment" report Lsa_8913

Just wanted to bump this and see if we can get any takers on I.D.ing the display engines.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:32 am

I got all the common ones, Red heads, Green heads, Gilbert's, and an OS or two, but I'm lost on the diesels. For an Enya man, no Enyas?

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:53 am

Now for us North Americans, that’s gonna be a tough one. I’ve never been close to a Diesel engine, unless it was a truck. Here is my best 1st cup of coffee guess:

1 - DC atomic
2- Gilbert Thunderhead 07
3- Gilbert Thunderhead 11
4- red/green
5- red/silver
6- Fox stallion
7- K&b torpedo
8- ED super fury
9- silver
10-Mccoy redhead
11- Fox
12- knuckle chopper. Mad

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:13 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I got all the common ones, Red heads, Green heads, Gilbert's, and an OS or two, but I'm lost on the diesels.  For an Enya man, no Enyas?

Bob. Since this picture was taken I've replaced one of the engines with my Enya .19 sand-cast. I tried to stick with older models and I didn't previously have what I would call a "Vintage" Enya.

Rene, nix on the DC or ED. No.1 engine (far left) should be recognizable to most people. Sort of the "grand daddy" of British diesels. One of the most copied engines ever.

Ok, I don't really expect too many to pick the Aussie engines, but there's also British and Russian engines there.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:22 pm

Is that the Mills on the far left, there's also a MK.17, a Yin Yang Silver Swallow a Fox Comet .09    Is that a R/C large case Fox .40 ( Aldrich Special)? as well to the right of the Mccoy?
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:51 pm

Ouch! Of course, most of the pain is from the loss of pride. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

At a car show some years back, a guy was trying to hand crank start a late 30s Chevy coupe when it backfired and pulled him right into the grill. It cut his face up badly and he thought his arm was broken. Blood everywhere. Took only about a minute for an ambulance to arrive and they ended up taking him away.

Nice display, I see the CEF flyer had a taker. Thumbs Up

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:39 pm

Ken Cook wrote:       Is that the Mills on the far left, there's also a MK.17, a Yin Yang Silver Swallow a Fox Comet .09

Yep, the venerable Mills P75.  A "real" one, not a copy. My brother traded his Triang model train set for it decades back.

Mk-17 is correct.  Brand new with (Russian) factory (green) prop.

Nix on the Silver Swallow, although good try as they look pretty similar.  One hint- there are three Aussie diesels from the same maker.

Fox "Rocket" .09 gets a score.

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

My "stupid moment" report Empty Engine I.D. test

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:45 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Is that a R/C large case Fox .40 ( Aldrich Special)? as well to the right of the Mccoy?

Yep, early 70s Fox .40 R/C.  Seems that it's not all that common, although a gasket & screw set off eBay for a .35 fitted.  
Not sure about the "Adrich Special" bit.  I'd suggest that it's factory stock.  
Duke was pretty slack in including much I.D. on his engines.  This has a small faint "FOX" on the case and nothing else.  Better than some where they didn't even include FOX.

OK fellas, just a few more to name.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:30 pm

I have to admit, I have some diesel knowledge but it was just something my son would know more about than myself. He uses them more than I do and talks with those that own them. Seeing you mentioned Aussie manufacturers, this makes me think of Taipan, Gordon Burford.

The Aldrich Special is what George Aldrich named the engine when he did his mods to it. I have one control line version and I will admit, this is a torque monster. While I don't believe this engine is a Schneurle, it has a lot of roots prior to Fox making that style of porting. It really amazed me that a flat top piston runs in the mode that it does. Most of the engines that Fox produced that were flat top pistons such as the MK series are just flat out fast. This is why the 2nd gen of Fox.40's were not for stunt when they were introduced. Lou Woolard would really detune the engine to make it work for our needs.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:06 am

Ken Cook wrote: Seeing you mentioned Aussie manufacturers, this makes me think of Taipan, Gordon Burford.

What else?? Thumbs Up
The red topped one to the right of the Mk.17 is a Taipan "60 series" 1.5cc from 1960.  

The Blue Head is a 2.5cc from 1959.

To the right of that with the plain alloy muff is a 2.5cc "Series 65" from... you can guess the year.

There are two other Taipans in my collection. A 1cc version of the "series 60", and a 1.5cc version of the "series 65".

Any suggestions for numbers 4 & 5? (5's a little hard to see). It is British if that helps.  It also has an unusual rear induction.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:02 am

Still no takers on numbers 4 & 5?? Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next