Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:48 pm

» Lil Tiger - Gloss Pumpkin Orange
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:37 pm

» Comet Belond
by DrCox Today at 12:08 pm

» Pee Wee Horseshoe back plate
by Kim Today at 10:46 am

» Ring Rat 100
by getback Today at 9:52 am

» Anyone recognize this model airplane?
by rsv1cox Today at 9:23 am

» Engines/parts for sale
by robot797 Today at 5:03 am

» Cox aluminum piston?
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:04 am

» Another proposed design by Roddie
by roddie Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» The Cars are the Stars Contest.
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 10:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
February-2019
balogh's

"Black Lynx .049 with a Throttle, Exhaust Deflector and Nelson-Galbreath head set"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Shrike X3 Experimental

Go down

Shrike X3 Experimental

Post  Davenz13 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:51 am

Times a ticking so I thought I’d better make a move on my entry into the Cars are the Stars tether car build.
While building the Penelope Pitstop Wacky Racer with two engines I was thinking about a three engined version using a Shrike as a base car.
Only a few years back Shrikes weren’t that sort after and I picked up a few at what now seems like bargain prices. I was going to use the green Shrike but as I have a red, black (R/C) and two yellow ones, I decide to keep the green one and use one of the yellow ones instead.
I dismantled and cleaned the Yellow Shrikes this afternoon, the plan being (thinking they were both the same) to make a good one out of the bits and then use the top half of the body off the other car.

Then I noticed that there is a small difference between the two bodies inside the rear wheel fairings. The body that had the number 8 has extra reinforcing inside the fairing while the body that had the number 5 does not. I presume the number 5 is an earlier model. The red, green and black Shrikes I have all have that extra reinforcing. Apart from their engines and decals I could see no other differences between the two yellow cars

As luck would have it the number 5 is in the better condition and possibly an earlier model so it gets kept as standard. The number 8 body has quite a bit of red staining on it so I’ll use the top off that as it may get painted anyway and keep on the lookout for another yellow body or donor car to finish number 8. The engine off number 8 is one of the pair on the Wacky Racer.

I also have an early Prop Rod metal base which will be much stronger than the later plastic ones and more suited to the build I have in mind.

With a little modification to the Shrike top around the axle exit points I reckon it will fit the Prop Rod base. While the mounting screws on the base (front pair and rear pair) are the same width apart as the Shrike top, the distance between the front pair and the rear pair on the Prop Rod base is 195mm as against 192mm on the Shrike top but I think I can overcome that problem. I’ll use the back pair as they are and then sort the front mount later. This keeps the rear axle in the middle of the wheel fairing and after a few measurements it looks like the knife edge wheels like on the Wacky Racer will fit inside the fairing. I’ll just have to make some new axles
There is no centre screw mount on the Prop Rod base like there is on the Shrike base.
Here’s a photo of where I’m heading. If you can imagine the Shrike body lower down where the rear wheels are inside the fairings and a third motor in the centre where it normally sits facing backwards.

Engines are High Performance 049 Bumble Bees rated at 17,000 to 19,000 RPM with 5x3 prop and 25% nitro. Should be a bit quicker than Penelope’s car.

Well I’ve made a start, just have to keep the momentum going.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shrike X3 Experimental

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:31 am

Lately, some of my club members have been pulling out many of their older items such as the Cox Champion tether cars. Another had several Shrike cars he just got back together. When connected to the stock holes in the body, we noted that the car pitches when it gets going fast. Rich the owner slowed the video down to see it more clear. The attachment points needs to be raised about 1" higher. https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/videos/vb.513140418756097/240970620158052/?type=2&theater
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:32 am

Good luck, Dave, That looks like a great project!! Babe Bee .049 Babe Bee .049 Clapping Clapping Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:05 am

Should be a interesting transformation, nice to know the difference between the body's . Ken thats a cool vid. sounds like a 4 stroke when slowed down lol! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:59 am

Your jelly bean Easter egg car set a standard that may never be exceeded. I loved that thing.

Good luck with your latest venture. Looking forward to May first.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down