Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive - Page 2 Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2019
Levent Suberk's

CEF Magazine cover featuring the Ex Model Engines Harpy Eagle .049

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive - Page 2 Empty
World of Aviation

Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive - Page 2 Empty Re: Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive

Post  NEW222 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 pm

Just like a new engine. I like your blueing methods. I have not done it yet like that, but I must ask. Do you blue the insides too, as I am assuming you do. If so, is there any other prep needed to run the engine again?
NEW222
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive - Page 2 Empty Re: Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive

Post  GallopingGhostler on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Bob, great job, it gives very little hint of its former neglected life, indeed a very well done transformation and restoration. I have no doubts that it will also be a good runner also. Given that it is a slightly larger displacement 0.060, I imagine that its performance ought to be quite respectable, if nothing else at least comparable to a Cox .049 Babe Bee or may be even a Golden Bee.

I managed to pick up a bluing kit in Albuquerque a few weeks ago. It will be my first, now I'll be able to restore the bluing on my steel cylinder engines and needle valves.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:46 pm

That looks good. What bluing kit do you use? I have a small Birchwoof Casey bluing kit I have used on the .15 cylinders that were rusty. Turned out ok if I repeated the process a second time.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:59 am

Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive - Page 2 Wv_cox19
Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive - Page 2 Wv_cox18

Brownell's Oxpho blue, the best and over time I have tried them all.  I used to buy it by the quart.  

I used to use swimming pool acid to remove the old bluing, but vinegar or even Simple Green will take it off on the small stuff associated with our hobby.  I turned Eric onto it sometime ago, but I think he uses Birchwood/Casey.  

Remove any rust and old blue. I have used a wire wheel on slow speed gently applied at times on really bad rust, but not time time on the .060.

Immerse in the solution for around a minute, wash off with cold water and neutralize with a light oil, then burnish, clean and do again.  I haven't done a second application yet on the Aurora's engine.

Some metals take the process better than others.

Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive - Page 2 Mccoy_14

Easy.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:09 am

Yes i use the cheaper stuff at the time it made a big diff. at 10-12 $ more at Walmart Very Happy It works ok as far as i can tell does need two times in though. Engine Looks Great Bob . Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:36 am

Bob, Brownell did a really good job on that McCoy .35 Red Head, clean and consistent bluing. First time I've seen a media blasted one. Did it come that way, or did you clean it by bead blasting it?

I got Birchwood Casey Permablue kit (3 oz. bottles), was the only thing available, but paid under $20 for it. Got no idea whether its good or not, will know more when I try.

Aurora .060 rusty and unresponsive - Page 2 82244f10

Have noticed that some steel fin Foxes must have not been blued, or may have been "browned" using another chemical system. (Or, is it native but uniform rust? Huh... ) I've seen a few firearms that the steel was browned, they looked sharp with a twist on a slightly different finish.

That would make for an interesting engine variant by browning the cylinder instead of bluing.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:01 am

Yes, aluminum oxide I think but it may have been Black Magic as I switch off.

Nasty thing when I got it, but it cleaned up well. Some I rub out with fine steel wool and a light oil. Gives a much more natural finish, but I liked this one so much I just left it. Found a prop drive washer, washer and nut so it's complete now.

And, yes, I plan on running that Aurora .060. I have never ran an Aurora engine before. Come-on warmer weather.......

Cabin fever in WV.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2