Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Scientific  Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans  - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Scientific  Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans  - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Scientific  Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans  - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Scientific Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Scientific  Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scientific Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans

Post  aspeed Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:48 am

Still got mine from when I was a kid.  My buddy would almost be able to keep up with it on a 10 speed bike, using the Babe Bee.  The TD was like night and day better.  It flipped over and broke the rudder.  I'll fix it some day.  It's only been 45 years. Scientific  Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans  - Page 3 Spad11
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Scientific  Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans  - Page 3 Empty Re: Scientific Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans

Post  GPW Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Deference due to those who know much more than I do !!! …. Thanks Guys !!! Wink
I’m just here for the Fun !!! Very Happy
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Scientific  Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans  - Page 3 Empty RE: Scientific MR.Mulligan for c/l

Post  66 Malibu Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Mr. 944 Jim,
As per your request to digitize old kits, there is no way I have time or patience to do what you suggested.
You can get many of the old plans that you can tile print from Dave Fritzke's website or Outer Zone that I have never used.
The Flyline kit plans for all 23 kits can be found under "Flyline Kits" on eBay.
A real model guy name Brian ( Abbyssiancats) will sell you a CD for $6 plus shipping for all the museum quality kits.
There, I have just given you enough resources to keep you busy and out of trouble for 2 or 3 years !!!
FWIW, Steve...
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:24 pm

GPW wrote:  Deference due to those who know much more than I do !!!  ….   Thanks Guys !!!  Wink  
 I’m just here for the Fun !!! Very Happy

That's two of us GP.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:31 am

Oh, now This was DUMB !!! I tried to paint some enamel we had , on bare Balsa …. Turns out that’s a dumb idea … Shocked it would have been Much better if I sealed the wood with some poly first , then added the decorations on top .…. AARGH !!! In such ways are we humbled …. how much we’ve forgotten .

We’re not even going to show pictures of this till we can clean things up a bit first …. Embarassed
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Thu May 02, 2019 6:49 am

OK, we’re back , and so today we plan to brush on some Polyurethane varnish over all the balsa parts , maybe a couple coats with some sanding in between … Then we’ll paint on the decorations … ( the right way … )
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Tue May 14, 2019 8:20 am

...been a while … Got the parts all sanded , decorated and coated with three coats of polyurethane varnish ( sanded w/600 between coats ) Much nicer and a lot less smelly than Dope … ( aircraft lacquer)  Scientific  Mr. Mulligan CL for 1/2A … Plans  - Page 3 A12066175-166-MM3
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am

Looking great GP. I like the natural look under the decals.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue May 14, 2019 10:40 am

Greenes for you !! He looks Great like the looks of the poly natural and the decals stand out Niely ! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Tue May 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Apologies , they were hand painted ( not perfect ) … I’ll make some decals the next time … Wink
Now it’s off to find a bellcrank , or make one … I have an ancient thrust button that I can glue in the wing for the bellcrank mount … nice scrap of thin ply for the leadout guide …plywood control horn ... Then stick it all together … still have to fab triangle stock wing mount braces . Can’t just butt glue it to the fuselage … Shocked Coming along, slowly … Lots of good ideas for the next “Scientific” build … Huh...
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Tue May 14, 2019 1:33 pm

PS. I sure hope that poly is indeed fuel proof … Shocked
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 14, 2019 8:35 pm

GPW wrote:PS.  I sure hope that poly is indeed fuel proof … Shocked

I was under the impression that "Polyurethane" is fuel (Methanol) proof.. but I don't know about the nitro-methane ingredient found in the 1/2A fuel. You'll probably want to run at least 25% nitro in that Cox Tee Dee .051.. I recently bought "quarts" of fuel from Sig Manufacturing Co. They stock 1/2A fuel under the "Champion" name. It's quality fuel, that anyone here on the forum would recommend. You won't have to pay the "Haz-Mat" shipping-fee.. if you buy quarts. That's the beauty of running small-displacement IC engines in this economy.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 pm

Very nice looking plane. I too really like the look of it 'naked' as in bare wood with trim. As for your polyurethane..... I cannot speak for all, but, the Minwax Polyurethane (oil based) in a can that is brushable IS fuelproof as I have not yet had a problem with it on my 1/2a flightbox and my airboat. My 1/2a flightbox houses my 1/2a fuel at 20%, and 25%, and it has not touched the finish. I would say to err on the side of caution and let it sit a few days before using it just to be safe. If it is Minwax waterbased poly, I have still not yet done much for testing with fuel as I only used it for basecoats to seal as you did before painting. Also, the Minwax Polyurethane in a rattle can I had both used and recommended in the past was good and did not yellow as the brush on version, is now apparently no longer fuelproof according to a member of my club that has had bad experiences lately. The old can I had is and was fuelproof so was shocked to hear this. I myself just bought a new can and sprayed my Ringmaster with is so I will be seeing if what he said is true in a week or so.....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Wed May 15, 2019 6:21 pm

222, Good Luck with the Ringmaster , we await your report …

Rod, mine was Varathane Ultimate (?) Indoor oil based polyurethane varnish ( fingers crossed eh ? ) What I “had “ ..
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed May 15, 2019 8:18 pm

I think any oil based poly will be fine.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Fri May 17, 2019 5:59 am

Thanks guys , it really is much nicer to work with than the old Dope ... Wink And it seems to be “neutral” in that it will cover different paints and Inks without interacting … I drew my panel lines with a pilot G-2 ball point pen , and painted the windows with Rustoleum enamel … Both covered with no blurring … cheers
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:52 am

We’re back … Burdened by “home projects” we got diverted from the important stuff … Found a piece of thin 1mm aluminum , perfect for making my bellcrank , and we found our old spool of Spiderwire ( fishing box) 30lb. test 8lb. diameter ( thin ) by 300 yards …. You guys think that will work for 35-40 ft lines …??? Also we selected a nice piece of Triangular stock to facilitate mounting the wing to the fuselage ( best Idea I could come up with) … coming together … Having Fun … Very Happy
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeffrey Compton Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Jumping in on this topic. I too would love to get a copy of the Scientific Mr. Mulligan construction sheet. And by copy I mean anything. Scan. Photo. Just as long as I can see the shape of the log fuselage and the exploded view of the construction I think I can reverse engineer it.

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey Compton
Jeffrey Compton
Jeffrey Compton
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum