Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Cox_ba12

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by Kim Today at 3:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Empty
Live on Patrol

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane

Go down

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Empty The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:12 pm

A whole box full of stuff.

In addition to the child's birthday card from "Gram."

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora58
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora59
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora60
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora63
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora61
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora62
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora65
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora64
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora66
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora67
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora68

1959 - Many of you were tugging on your Mom's skirt..Buy me one, buy me one.  Smile

Prize in a box of cereal maybe. Slip it over a baby's spoon.

Everything included including the broken tail wheel.

I like these glow plug clips.

$2.50 trade in, get a new engine.  Wonder what they did with all the trade-ins.

Always wondered how those Aurora elevator hinges went in.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Empty Re: The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:50 pm

The little brown dude confuses me. What could it have been for? Not plane related I am sure.

Edit: I see it says spoon size on the back, probably a cereal prize.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Empty Re: The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane

Post  Kim Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:The little brown dude confuses me. What could it have been for? Not plane related I am sure.

Edit: I see it says spoon size on the back, probably a cereal prize.

Think his "Helmet Antenna" is from Nabisco's Logo.

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Nabisc10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Hot Dog, Kim you nailed it.

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Spoon_10

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Spoonm10

The boy in the ad is a ringer for the boy in the Birthday card...Maybe Gram slipped it in the box.

Or, maybe the boy used it as the pilot. Smashed windshield provided an opening.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:15 pm

I'm glad this was solved. And I thought he would be a 'jumper' from the airplane if he lost control of it.... Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Bob...you be da man.

S C O R E !!!

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane DWXwkm1
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:37 pm

lol, i saw the li'l guy right away and thought for a second it was 'Quisp' from the 60's cereal, then i saw a squirrel and went off in another direction. The Bird Dog looks great Bob....hmm 2 Aurora planes now, could this be a start of something?

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Dream_10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:56 pm

Bob, thanks for sharing your build, and thanks Mark for the ad. AFAIK, I didn't even see those Aurora's back in the mid 1960's department store toy catalogues and Air Force base hobby shop. Those were before my time, I was 6 in 1960. My first kit was a 1/72nd scale plastic DC-3. Those Auroras as somewhat a part of obscure history now, along with the A.C. Gilberts.

Looks like the Cessna was run before and more than once as the plastic fuselage behind the engine is discoloured and slightly melted from the exhaust heat.

Checked with the inflation calculator, $9.95 in 1960 is now $85 today. We've been spoiled by basically under-tariffed products from abroad, around say $30 in today's market if these were being built today, I imagine and with an electric motor most likely. tongue

Back then, sale tax rates were either non-existent or very low at say, 2% - 3%, not like 8% and on up like today. A parent buying their child a Scientific F-86 profile for $0.89 each, a Cox .049 Babe Bee for $3.95, glues, dope and fuel proofer for decals (2.5 oz bottles) for under a couple bucks, the supplies sufficient to being shared with other models, at least the cost, it was not hard to see why kits were very popular.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:42 am

Nice additions , that plane has even more to it than thought the way it is put together from the breakdown , i new i had seen that spoonman before but couldn't place it , my Dad worked at the A&P Grocery store yrs. ago and was always bringing me home the new stuff . A new fuel can too . I got one those pumps sometime back but was broken / dont work Sad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks guys.

Doc I couldn't believe that someone on ebay was actually asking $74.99 for Spoonman, so I checked. There are two more listed for $120 each. World going nutz or what. Asking and getting are two different things.

Doesn't matter, the little guy isn't going any place. He is a permanent part of that airplane. I already have the birthday card sealed along with the instructions etc. Last thing to do is clean up the model, not to much though. Box came out pretty good.

Thanks for that ad Mark, copied it and will print it out.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:08 am

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks guys.

Doc I couldn't believe that someone on ebay was actually asking $74.99 for Spoonman, so I checked.  There are two more listed for $120 each. World going nutz or what.  Asking and getting are two different things.

Doesn't matter, the little guy isn't going any place.  He is a permanent part of that airplane.  I already have the birthday card sealed along with the instructions etc. Last thing to do is clean up the model, not to much though.  Box came out pretty good.  

Thanks for that ad Mark, copied it and will print it out.  

I've long-wanted one of the cereal premium "Songbirds" that were packed in, I think, Nabisco Shredded Wheat back in the early 1960's  (Had several, but they all got away from me).

Those things are crazy high the few times they show up on Ebay, so I'm gonna be happy just looking at the photos from the auctions.

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane 54sk2010

Last edited by Kim on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:16 am

So to re-cap:

Army moves--- eventually our dear old mother threw away 5 kids Comic book collections from the 50s to 70s

Brothers and I had literally EVERY 1st edition of all the D.C. and Marvel comics ...of course they were all well worn but still worth a LOT more than the 10c, 15c, or 25c we paid in the Post Exchange (PX)

Mom actually indulged us from the Commissary by buying cereals just so we could have the toys inside... I know we had dozens of the Nabisco Spoon aliens and probably 4 or 5 songbirds...and until some one shows other cereal toys I have no idea how many of all the different series we used to have...Toy boxes full of them

one brother of mine and I had a entire Division worth of Army Men, Tanks, Jeeps, Trucks, and the requisite fire crackers to stage real wars.....MY dad had a pretty extensive collection of Pewtar hand painted British and American 1812 soldiers...

no one still alive knows where any of that stuff went except the comics (newspaper recycle stack)

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:30 pm

fredvon4 wrote:So to re-cap:

Army moves--- eventually our dear old mother threw away 5 kids Comic book collections from the 50s to 70s

Brothers and I had literally EVERY 1st edition of all the D.C. and Marvel comics ...of course they were all well worn but still worth a LOT more than the 10c, 15c, or 25c we paid in the Post Exchange (PX)

Mom actually indulged us from the Commissary by buying cereals just so we could have the toys inside... I know we had dozens of the Nabisco Spoon aliens and probably 4 or 5 songbirds...and until some one shows other cereal toys I have no idea how many of all the different series we used to have...Toy boxes full of them

one brother of mine and I had a entire Division worth of Army Men, Tanks, Jeeps, Trucks, and the requisite fire crackers to stage real wars.....MY dad had a pretty extensive collection of Pewtar hand painted British and American 1812 soldiers...

no one still alive knows where any of that stuff went except the comics (newspaper recycle stack)

Great story.
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:13 pm

DrCox wrote:
fredvon4 wrote:So to re-cap:

Great story.

X2

I would think most of us have similar stories.

I remember when I joined the Navy my Mother threw out most of my stuff including my first ever model engine a diesel, and all of my guillows models.  What Mom didn't toss, my brother appropriated.

I can safely say that I never bought a comic book.  My pocket money went for .22 cartridges.  To my mind there was nothing better than a new colorful box of .22's.  I remember the feeling to this day.

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Bird_d10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Never heard of that brand The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Ptdc0106
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Ptdc0105
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Ptdc0107
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:48 pm

J.C. Higgins, I think that was a Sears brand of firearms name, under contract by various someone elses.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:lol, i saw the li'l guy right away and thought for a second it was 'Quisp' from the 60's cereal, then i saw a squirrel and went off in another direction. The Bird Dog looks great Bob....hmm 2 Aurora planes now, could this be a start of something?

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Dream_10

So, I have seen this advert several times. What gets me is they found some random dumpy dude and had him stand next to dirt birm with the old bird dog plowed into the side of it.

Several things don’t work, like the guy flying the plane instead of pumping gas and the fact that his position makes no sense at all. Unless he lauched the plane 180 from where he is facing and and the fact the Aurora couldn’t have even made it off the ground in that amount of runout.

It just makes me laugh. I guess the target audience wouldn’t even know or care anyway.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:57 am

Yeah, I agree, staged photo, should be a ten year old kid flying it with a big smile on his face.

And for the record - "This plane can't take it." This one has all the cowling tabs broken off and the engine loose in the housing. Course not many can take a header into concrete and survive, evidenced here by the bent prop screw.

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora69

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:19 am

My grandfather gave me a Aurora P-40 which was a model. The kit though was designed originally to be a control line plane which came with a bellcrank. It was a interesting model as it was all screwed together aside from the wing halves. I modified the fuse for a Babe Bee and not knowing then exactly how to balance a plane, I took it out to fly it. I had a small parking lot across the street which provided parking for a park. I fueled it up and my buddy Sam let it go and it went straight up and over head. When this happens, there's no looking back and it's the other side of the circle that became it's resting place. POW!!!!!! straight in it went. The crank broke, the nose on the case split as well and there were pieces scattered all over. I had a real jerk of a neighbor who unfortunately was born without a off switch for his mouth. He proceeds to quickly run over and tell me I better clean all of the mess up or I will be responsible for any flat tires.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:31 am

Yeah Ken, even with the extended tanked engine hanging out front they still thought the need for a substantial nose weight

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora71
The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora70

First thing I do is check the balance, pretty good I thought using the two finger method.....

Prop screw, kind of rolled over on it's side. More bent than it looks.

The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane Aurora72
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down