Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Cox_ba12

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:14 am

» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Empty Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2

Post  OVERLORD Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:57 pm

I bought this electric Jerobee a few months ago for 30 EUR incl postage. I still have some spare parts so why not transform and put together a new cox powered one. The body is in good nick. It represents a 2nd series Canam racer on the Lola F5000 chassis. I don't know what car make it is though. if anyone's got an idea...

This car was raced and sponsored by the local Volvo garage. The standard grey chassis was upgraded with Lightning 2000 parts; an advantage of the Jomac produced cars. The rear axle, bearings, front bumper and wheels were all replaced.  The body is not a Jerobee one. Maybe Parma?

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5231

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5232

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5233

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5534

A picture taken from the underside. The car has a lightened chassis, to say the least.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5234

With the body removed. Everything is still there except for the batteries. The worn front tyres have a nice taper from high speed cornering with worn front axle bushings.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5536

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5537

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5535

It's time to dismantle!!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Empty Re: Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2

Post  Davenz13 Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:02 pm

What a cool project.
I look forward to seeing it progress.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Empty Re: Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2

Post  getback Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:35 pm

That's a pretty cool car , wonder why the front tires are so skinny , looks like a dragster Shocked Are you going with TD or Bee ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:51 am

getback wrote:That's a pretty cool car , wonder why the front tires are so skinny , looks like a dragster Shocked  Are you going with TD or Bee ?  

The choice of the engine dépends on the driven gear I have. I still have a 56T gear for a Babe Bee. I believe the TeeDee powered cars have 58T gears. I don't have a spare engine with flywheel and clutch but can borrow the unit from the Corvette. The front tyres are mostly worn out and are ready for the bin.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5623

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5622
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:18 am

Man them is worn out !! i am sure either one will put light to the rear wheels Devil
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:05 am

Rear axle disassembly

The rear wheels are mounted on a Lightning 2000 round shaft and fixed by a nyloc nut. The motion is transmitted by a roll pin fixed to a flange which is locked to the axle by a grub screw on a flat. The Jerobee wheels were modified by inserting a brass bushing and extra holes for the roll pin.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5625

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5624

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5626

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5627

On the right side is the differential. The axle slides out on this side.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5629

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5628

The plastic split bearings were replaced by ball bearings. These are thicker and the chassis needs to be drilled out a bit.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5630

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5631

The chassis needs to be cleaned to remove dirt and glue. To brace the radio gear, foam patches were stuck in the middle.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:19 am

Hi Lieven, That's quite a project that you're undertaking. If anyone can get it done; it's you! I'd noticed that most of the Jerobee/JoMac glow-powered chassis' that I've seen, have a left-side drive-axle. This would naturally be dictated by the Tee Dee engines.. but the reed-valve variants are also left-side drive. I see that this elec. chassis does not have provisions for a left-side drive-axle. Is this why you're choosing to run the reversible-rotation reed-valve engine?

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Dsc00710
Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Jerobe10

Last edited by roddie on Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added photos)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:47 am

Roddie, as you pointed out, the glow powered cars have the drive on the left and the electric cars have the drive on the right. The chassis remains the same, equipped with the standard hexagonal rear axle or with the upgraded Lightning 2000 rear axle. I will not reuse this axle with diff and wheels. The drive will be again on the left side with a hexagonal axle and wheels that fit. That's what's so interesting on these cars: a lot of stuff can be modified and/or upgraded. I think that in the second half of the 70's, when electric driven 1/12 cars became popular, many Jerobees were transformed from glow to electric because it was ever so easy to do so.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:18 pm

The modular design is definitely a plus+ Thumbs Up I have documented (photos) most every Jerobee/JoMac project that you've done.. and saved some random photos from elsewhere on the inter-web too. The models fascinate me.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:41 pm

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:11 am

Front wheels

I took off the front wheels from the stub axles. On the left side extra washers were found. On the right side, washers were replaced by a spring. The brass bushings in the centre of the wheels are worn. I tried to remove them with a bolt / washer and tube but they didn't move at all. They were possibly glued in place when the 2 wheel halves were bonded together.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5235

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5632

And the cleaned chassis:

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5633

I must say that these Jerobee chassis are very well made and of the right material. This is the 3rd chassis I'm working on and I never saw any warps, or cracks or brittleness knowing that these cars were used and abused and that they have an average age of 45 years!!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:07 am

The chassy does look very well built and like you said of the right material , You got that thing gutted , see you already have replacement wheels. Tires ? Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:47 am

The white front wheels are the ones that were on the car, only cleaned! For tyres, I will use the Jerobee rubber front tyres. They fit the rimmed wheels.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:14 pm

Rear axle assembly

The 1/4" round Lightning 2000 rear axle cannot be used for glow power. To fit the gear and wheels, a hexagonal axle is needed. The difficulty is to insert such an axle when the chassis is equipped with ball bearings. This axle only has round parts where the plastic bearings go. They are split and need to be pried open and fit in place after inserting the axle in the chassis.

But the Jerobee guys made an adapted axle to fit the ball bearings. This axle is made out of 2 parts that screw together after being mounted from both sides. This gives an axle that is round in the centre part.

I have a Jerobee axle and a Bolink axle. The Bolink one doesn't use E clips to hold the wheels but domed screws and washers.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5634

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5635

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5636

The half axles are both drilled and tapped. A threaded stud was then inserted. I assembled both shafts and the match is incredible. No joint is visible or can hardly be felt. The Bolink axle is a bit shorter than the Jerobee one.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5637

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5638

I fitted the Jerobee axle to the chassis. It turns very smoothly.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5639

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5640
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 am

To complete the rear axle, I mounted a new 56 teeth gear and on the right side the spacer I was looking for for a while. I found and bought a Jerobee parts lot on EBay. This cost me 4,5 EUR. I was the only bidder. The purchase price need to be multiplied by 4 to get it to my home but compared to other sales going on, this was still reasonable. In the parts lot was a axle replacement kit with plastic bearings and the spacer, rear Wheel E clips (always useful!) and a Lightning 2000 gear.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Lot_wi10

The wide rear wheels without tyres are a spare wheel kit sold by Jomac. I mounted a pair of hard Twinn K AJ's.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5642

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5641
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Eyebrows
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:17 pm

What ever happened with this one Lieven?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:12 am

Y like the light weight upgrades Nice efort from the owner wit som strange modification wy Not use the diferentiel
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:30 am

Cribbs74 wrote:What ever happened with this one Lieven?

For the moment, it's on stand by. I have to drill out the worn out front wheel bearings to 4mm and insert a piece of brass pipe that I will drill out again to 3,2 mm for the 1/8" stub axle. A new thing to do is to find a 56T gear. I took off the one that was on it to put on the Porsche with Teedee power. I have no engine for the moment. Sooner or later, I'll find a Babe Bee, I hope.

It's not possible to use the Lightning 2000 dif on a Cox powered car. The gear teeth are different and the gear is to big as this is for an electric motor.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:46 am

I have a Jerobee gear and axle somewhere. If I find it I'll count the teeth. I do have the matching reed engine as well with starter and clutch, but I know nothing about which car it was from.

Rod
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:21 am

Thanks Rod, Anyway, if it's a matching pair, that's always good. Gear ratio's change from 5,6:1 for the high performance cars to 7,2:1 for the Comando Dodge. But whatever, they are all fast to me!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 am

The gear pitch difrent wel y have found Good way To use difrent engines clutch Bell wit that larger pitch smaler like the gtp gear the Kyosho f1 use larger pinion exept use one way bearing Witch y dont like its possible To use its pilot chaft To fit clutch Bell wit bearing Good upgrades the team ae clutch Bell fit and tink its the same pitch u have the clutch Bell from rc10 gt 15 engines wil fit the f1 pilot chaft on that frame is no place for larger gear on m'y prototype its Not trouble y have lots of space To work with;)
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:01 am

Lieven, Check your email....
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:25 pm

OVERLORD wrote:Front wheels

I took off the front wheels from the stub axles. On the left side extra washers were found. On the right side, washers were replaced by a spring. The brass bushings in the centre of the wheels are worn. I tried to remove them with a bolt / washer and tube but they didn't move at all. They were possibly glued in place when the 2 wheel halves were bonded together.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 Imgp5235

Let's get on with this one! I decided to remove the front brass bushings but I remembered they could not be hammered out. I drilled a larger hole and milled out the brass bushing on one side using such a tiny milling tool. When the tension of the bushing was gone, I could knock them out. Then I found out why they didn't come out in the first place: the outer surface of the bushings is knurled.

Now I have to find new bushings in brass or oilite to fit. They need to be 1/8 x 1/4 diameter and about 3/8 in length.

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 P9200213

Jerobee electric to glow conversion nr 2 P9200214
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:20 am

Cool , its been awhile but they will always wait for you Laughing Good to see you got a great start with the bushing removal ,standard size in the US don't know about there in UK
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next