Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  Cox_ba12

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  Empty
Live on Patrol

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..

Go down

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  Empty Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..

Post  roddie Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:02 pm

Trying to get these three airplanes ready...

#1. My "Flying Blind"

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  20190649
Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  20190650

#2. My Grumman F8F-2 "Rare Bear" 1990's vintage Reno-Racer This entry was the result of the 1st CEF "Reed-Speed" contest; realized by Jim Roselle (jpvelo) in 2013.

Canopy-paint.. done as of recent..

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  Canopy14

Not sure which reed-valve engine I'll run yet..

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  4-24-112

... but I'd opt for a less "fussy" one.. than I tried to run 5 years ago...

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  4-22-110

Then there's my Tee Dee powered Lockheed "Shooting Star".. better known as my "T33 Dee"..

Adapted for this gear arrangement.. (originally designed for a take-off dolly)

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  Tee-3311

Lots of design and finish-hurdles with this model..

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  Dubro_12
Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  20190228

I've never flown a Cox Tee Dee-powered airplane.. so this will be a 1st..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  Empty Re: Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:45 pm

Look like winners to me!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  Empty Re: Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..

Post  aspeed Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Pretty looking Rare Bear. You will like the TD and maybe never look back?!!!!
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:36 am

Never seen a vid of the rare bear flying for the last 3yrs ish since I first saw these pics of it, do you have one?

RC Plane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:35 am

They look Great roddie , hope you can get some air under them wings , Hold on to your pantys when the TD hits the air lol! I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:59 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:Never seen a vid of the rare bear flying for the last 3yrs ish since I first saw these pics of it, do you have one?

RC Plane

Hey Brad, The Rare Bear's wheels never left the ground, on her one and only flight attempt on May 15th 2014.

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  5-15-111

My wife "Lynne" was with me that afternoon.

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  5-15-112

The engine was a bear to start.. Huh... and when I would get it running.. the model repeatedly nosed-over a few feet from its' stooge-release. Huh...  The fuel-tank was a uni-flow type of my own design.. and not flight-tested.. Huh... I neglected to bring a proper-size screw-driver.. to re-tighten the propeller.. after the engine back-fired and "threw the prop".. (breaking that nice plastic Cox Cosmic Wind spinner in the process  Doh!  )

Roddie's CEF 2019 "RWYB" proposed entry(ies)..  Spinne10

I had to tighten the slotted prop-screw with a metal nail-file that I happened to have on my car keychain.. Rolling Eyes By that time, the sun was going down.. and I thought to myself; Roddie.. you need to stop and re-evaluate.. This is not the day to fly this airplane.. Neutral
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:33 pm

I really want to see this thing fly Roddie, it’s one of your best builds. Put it in the air brother! If you don’t I am going to fly up there and kick you in the shins. Wink

Seriously, it deserves to be flown. Wish I was up that way in the near future, would love to be your pit man.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Yesss rebate time Roddie!!!!! Small Cox Logo Old Bugger

Popcorn
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:24 pm

I have often told Roddie how much I like that Rare Bear, perhaps the nicest U-control model that I have seen.

I wouldn't risk it in my present degenerated state, but years ago I would have put it through it's paces. I would love to see Ron at the handle.

On your way to RI Ron, stop off here in WV. I have about 50 flyable (R/C and U/C) models begging for the air time that I can't give them. Crash half and I still have to many.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I really want to see this thing fly Roddie, it’s one of your best builds. Put it in the air brother! If you don’t I am going to fly up there and kick you in the shins. Wink

Seriously, it deserves to be flown. Wish I was up that way in the near future, would love to be your pit man.

Ron

Hey Ron, Thanks buddy. I'm in a much better place (mentally) this year; than I'd been in the last 3-4 years. Quitting the cigarettes has been tough.. but I've got 18 months under my belt.. and I ain't lookin' back. Smile

Regarding my Rare Bear.. I actually have over 300 photos of the build, between 2013-14. Seventy-five of those are on the fuel-tank build.

I'm currently checking my handle-inventory.. and reviewing the proper "knot" to tie when using the synthetic-braid (fishing) line.

My engine/parts inventory is well-stocked.. which means that I can have "reserve-engines" for all three of the above-mentioned airplanes.

My Rare-Bear with its' cowled-in engine... is a tough engine-swap assignment though. If it came down to that; I'd forego the cowling.. and swap-in a prepared/reserve product-engine which the airplane was designed for.. and take it from there.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:45 am

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:51 pm

If your looking to fly fast which I assume why you posted in this topic, synthetic lines aren't a good option. They soak up oil offering drag and they also offer more surface area to the wind especially after flying them a bit. They offer one solution in that they don't kink. I meant to add that early on when my flying progressed, I switched from Dacron to steel lines .008". Using the .008's are wonderful, however they're very tough to maintain when it comes to others not familiar with their fragility.I have a few members in my club who just can't seem to keep their feet from walking on my lines. I have to constantly be alert when he's around. I always ask him when I have new lines if he wants to walk on them first prior to me flying.

The problems I have incurred using .008's have been fraying at the termination. Using crimps is the best method for .008's due to the size and therefore the crimp tubes must have a chamfer in both ends of the crimp tube. The other thing is that one needs to use heat shrink tube at least 1" onto the line up to the eyelet. While this provides ample support for the termination, it also prevents one from seeing this fragile area, therefore you really have to insure your crimp is done well prior to heat shrinking. I have had my share of .008's breaking, not due to this area but due to rough edges around the eyelet when it was formed which eventually cut into the strands and broke the line around the eyelet. Since this happened more than once to me, I have done two things. I have gone around the eyelet twice using .008's and I have also since switched to .012's. All of my line failures were with Sig lines and I have switched to another brand without issue. I have one theory why this may have happened using the Sig lines and that's the aluminum crimp tubes they provide. I think that when they're crimped, they bellmouth the end where the line exits and it allows a lot of flex which is detrimental to the life of the line. Using .012's really isn't a penalty as many would suggest and I have timed flights back to back using .008's and then the .012's and never noticed a measurable difference on the planes I was using. The .012's are more durable and offer more resistance to a kink if a mishap takes place.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:50 pm

I always ask him when I have new lines if he wants to walk on them first prior to me flying. wrote:Ken
lol! lol! lol!  Some good advice , thank you for sharing this info . Myself have not flown with steel lines (Yet) But will have to learn some new technics when i do .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:30 pm

I use .009" solids, mostly because I have a big roll.  I think the new fishing line is the best option for recreational flying.  It is lighter and doesn't curl like steel.  If flying dacron, you may as well skip the steel and go to the new Spectra quatro stuff.  I would if I didn't have a mile of the solid steel.  I think I have .009", .015" and .020" in big rolls.  Getting a bit rusty, but not too bad.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down