Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? Cox_ba12

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 4:17 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? Empty
Live on Patrol

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before?

Go down

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? Empty Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before?

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:03 pm

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? P-51_w10

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? P-51_p10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? Empty Re: Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before?

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:56 pm

I've seen the silver Mustang before. I can't imagine wanting to paint it... if I did, it certainly wouldn't be yeller.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? Empty Re: Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before?

Post  dckrsn Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:09 pm

If William Lear was still alive today, he could
probably tell you exact what Testors did wrong
in the chroming process.
I find that pipe bomb needle even more offensive. Mad
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Yes, fuel residue is not friendly to many of Testors/Wen-mac products.

But I was calling attention to the cogged pull engine start thingy and the corresponding openings in the nose of the airplane.  I guess you insert it and pull to start the motor.  

I have not seen this before.  Being the dummy that I am I missed out on this auction ($40 single bidder) by misreading the end of auction date.  I have sworn off buying these but I would have liked to owned it.  I beat myself up over it all day until...…….I received the following the same day.  

Coincidently, I did win this Testors Spitfire that has the same geared engine but the auction did not include the pull thingy.  I had no idea that it had that feature until I received it as the seller did not include a close-up picture of the engine.

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? Pa100010
Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? Pa110010

I bet that Mark Boesen knows all about it.

Any one have one of those pull things?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:18 pm

The "Rip-Cord" seems to have been introduced later, most likely due to the really unreliable recoil start that broke the spring after about the 5th attempt.

I had a dragster as a kid that had the same type rip-cord which spun up a large flywheel to power it.

*Just looked it up. Kenner SSP racers. Maybe that'll give you a little more scope in finmding one, if of course they're similar enough.

I have a couple of short engines with the starter cog behind the prop driver. It's on a one-way clutch so you can push the rip-cord in without turning the engine. If it was reliable, it certainly would have spun the engine over much better than one or two turn from a spring.

Rusty, the P-51 was moulded in Yellow plastic and chromed, not painted yellow. The chrome is the first thing to suffer with fuel exposure.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Okay, Rod, I see now. It's obvious now that I know he rest of the story.
Duplicolor makes a chrome acrylic enamel that is fuel resistant and could be doped with clear urethane to further protect it. It is in a rattlecan and part of the "Perfect Match" line at the automotive stores. Look for CS101. I can't find the Perfect Match chrome lacquer at the moment.

I'm 90% sure DC makes an aluminum colored rattlecan lacquer too.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:41 pm

My Mustang had suffered teh same fate before I got it as the previous owner had painted it blue, which had to be stripped, and I believe I mentioned in another thread. I am thinking the 'chroming' was not fuel proof, or at least 'hot' fuel proof. As for teh starter, I had a Testors something-or-other many moons ago that had the yellow pull start, which ultimately broke.

And the picture of the Spitfire is also rather funny with the starter. I say that as they must have made a version both with and without the Zip Starter, cause mine does not have it.....

Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? 71970110
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:45 pm

And if my memory serves me correct, I think the ones with Zip Start were called Testors Fly Em' planes. Mine was a black aerobatic style plane with stars on it I believe.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:25 am

NEW222 wrote:And if my memory serves me correct, I think the ones with Zip Start were called Testors Fly Em' planes. Mine was a black aerobatic style plane with stars on it I believe.
They were both called Fly 'em, both recoil and zip starter.  As I mentioned, I think the zip starter came later.

Your black plane with stars was probably a Cosmic Wind. It wasn't one of the Fly 'em series.
Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? Testor11

Bad picture, I know.  Off the net.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:55 pm

The Kenner SSP's, brings back fond memories. I pulled mine as hard as I could and let it rip. It went through the kitchen and hit my mother in the ankle. It fractured her ankle and she fell into a chair breaking her ribs.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:17 pm

Ken Cook wrote:           The Kenner SSP's, brings back fond memories. I pulled mine as hard as I could and let it rip. It went through the kitchen and hit my mother in the ankle. It fractured her ankle and she fell into a chair breaking her ribs.

Wow Ken and your still living. Smile

There is one on ebay right now for $9.99 BIN with the rip cord. I would have bought it for the card, but it looks different.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kenner+ssp&&view=detail&mid=16B70C1E622CDC8312FD16B70C1E622CDC8312FD&rvsmid=BC604D55FC0AF9BBFA18BC604D55FC0AF9BBFA18&FORM=VDQVAP
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:29 pm

"The howling power of Sonic Sound"??  Well I'd like to hear a sample of Non-sonic sound, wouldn't you?  (Maybe the Sounds of Silence?) Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:31 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
NEW222 wrote:And if my memory serves me correct, I think the ones with Zip Start were called Testors Fly Em' planes. Mine was a black aerobatic style plane with stars on it I believe.
They were both called Fly 'em, both recoil and zip starter.  As I mentioned, I think the zip starter came later.

Your black plane with stars was probably a Cosmic Wind.  It wasn't one of the Fly 'em series.
Plastic plane warning - Have you ever seen this before? Testor11

Bad picture, I know.  Off the net.

Ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Thank you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down