Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Flying C/L near power lines.  A lesson from the past. Cox_ba12

Flying C/L near power lines.  A lesson from the past. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Flying C/L near power lines.  A lesson from the past. Empty
Live on Patrol

Flying C/L near power lines. A lesson from the past.

Go down

Flying C/L near power lines.  A lesson from the past. Empty Flying C/L near power lines. A lesson from the past.

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:29 am

I'm in the last chapters of Norman "Dusty" Kleiss's book Never Call Me A Hero where he describes his WW2 exploits and his contribution in the battle of Midway a major turning point in the war.

He stayed in the Navy after the war and retired in early 1962 as a Captain.   He retired to West Virginia where he found employment and eventually a teaching position.  He raised a family of two girls and three boys the youngest being Albert.

From his book:

On Mothers day 1970 Albert was flying a model plane showing it off to family and friends.  The wind shifted suddenly blowing the plane into nearby high tension wires.  The collision shot a bolt of electricity into him killing him instantly.

It's a tragic contrast to his flying a SBD Devastator in the Pacific through hails of Japanese flak while avoiding Zeros to bomb two Japanese aircraft carriers and a cruiser and arriving safely back aboard his ship the USS Enterprise without a scratch.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Flying C/L near power lines.  A lesson from the past. Empty sorry for lousy graphic

Post  fredvon4 Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:49 am

Flying C/L near power lines.  A lesson from the past. Cartoo10
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Flying C/L near power lines.  A lesson from the past. Empty Re: Flying C/L near power lines. A lesson from the past.

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 am

rsv1cox wrote:He raised a family of two girls and three boys the youngest being Albert.... On Mothers day 1970 Albert was flying a model plane showing it off to family and friends. The wind shifted suddenly blowing the plane into nearby high tension wires. The collision shot a bolt of electricity into him killing him instantly.

It's a tragic contrast to his flying a SBD Devastator in the Pacific through hails of Japanese flak while avoiding Zeros to bomb two Japanese aircraft carriers and a cruiser and arriving safely back aboard his ship the USS Enterprise without a scratch.
It is tragic, yes, especially in light of the extreme danger Norman Kleiss faced yet not a scratch, but his son ironically passing through indiscretionary flying to show off to others. Fortunately he still had 2 daughters to continue on, but that doesn't mitigate the tragedy he suffered.

According to HonorStates.org World War II: Archive of American Gold Star Casualties there were 405,399 US service member deaths. It is hard to fathom that 75 to 80 million people worldwide perished in that war.

I visit 3 nursing homes a month. I sympathize and empathize with them, and they need folk to visit as some don't have any family, family too far away or family doesn't visit. Yet another tragedy is that some would not be there had they taken better care of their health.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Flying C/L near power lines.  A lesson from the past. Empty Re: Flying C/L near power lines. A lesson from the past.

Post  fredvon4 Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:08 am

not to hijack too far but GG opened the door

I am distressed that our military total suicides for last decade exceeded the reported Vietnam American death toll

I am mindful that WWI, WWII, KOREA American and all others is many many millions and frankly it is higher than we know because most collateral death were never counted
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:29 am

I could write pages on both subjects.  Just suffice it to say that war and suicide sucks.  But there is glory and heroism in war that you will find no place else.  

Love your cartoon Fred, but that's a TBM (Torpedo Bomber (Martin?) not a SBD which you probably already knew.  Both mentioned in his book.  In fact his best friend Tom Eversole died in a TBM during the Midway attack.  I always thought the TBM was made by Martin but I find just General Motors.

Flying C/L near power lines.  A lesson from the past. P7240027
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:05 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Love your cartoon Fred, but that's a TBM (Torpedo Bomber (Martin?) not a SBD which you probably already knew.  Both mentioned in his book. In fact his best friend Tom Eversole died in a TBM during the Midway attack. I always thought the TBM was made by Martin but I find just General Motors.
Wikipedia: Grumman TBF Avenger TBF (GM TBM) was designed by Grumman. I remember reading somewhere the factory made designator was a single alphabet letter, but am a little lazy to research at this point. It was the ability of the US training in tactics that helped give the edge during the war with less than optimal equipment until the more advanced aircraft arrived and through resupply turned the tide.

I like the classy lines of the earlier aircraft, even though outdated and inferior to the later aircraft. May be that is why I like looking at the older cars.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:06 am

Because of the designation SBD Scout Bomber Douglas I always assumed the TBM Torpedo Bomber M was made by Martin.  Not the case.   The SBD was state of the art at the time especially the dash threes and above.  Self sealing fuel tanks, elimination of the floatation device, and better navigation and homing devices were significant improvements.  The problems with the Torpedo bomber were - the torpedoes themselves with only about 10% reliability.

By coincidence the Smithsonian channel last night aired the episode that featured the Battle of Midway, "Dusty" Kleiss, and the young authors of his book Timothy and Laura Orr.  I finished the last chapter this morning with only the "Afterward" to go.  

There are several NIB Guillows SBD models on ebay right now for around $76 plus shipping.  I no longer trust my fingers to assemble but might relent and pick one up.

Flying C/L near power lines.  A lesson from the past. Guillo10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guillows-1003-SBD-3-DAUNTLESS-Balsa-wood-Airplane-model-Kit-New-in-sealed-box/114003110549?epid=2255377918&hash=item1a8b1d6a95:g:GXwAAOSwhrpcGq0p
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:32 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_United_States_Navy_aircraft_designation_system
Code  Name Example Period
M Martin JRM 1922–1962
M General Motors (Eastern) TBM 1942–1945
M McCulloch HUM 1951–1952
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down