Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep Cox_ba12

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:07 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep Empty
Live on Patrol

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep Empty Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep

Post  Kim Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:35 pm

So, brushing another clear coat on one project while trying to decide whether or not to drag out the paint gun and shoot some color at the other, I split the difference and went to work on a third project (this why I 'bout never get these suckers finished).

My late Cousin Bill built this Cox/Sanwa "Q-Tee" back in the 1980's, eventually giving it to my Uncle Wayne. When Wayne gave it to me several years ago, it was in fair shape, though the wing's silkspan was very brittle, and it had some "nose rot" from all the castor oil that had been slung on it.

I finally got around to re-covering the wing, and while rebuilding it's snout, I decided to beef-up the area behind the new firewall, and modify it to take detachable "plates" of ply, that had engines pre-mounted to them. This way, I could cut a stack of ply plates, coat them with epoxy, and put any of my orphans on them without drilling multiple holes in the Q-Tee's firewall to match their mounting patterns.

My shop now has the aroma of both Brodak clear dope, and Sig 5-Minute Epoxy wafting through it.

Smells like "Model Airplane" in there!

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 20_119
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 21_18
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 22_22
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 31_112
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 41_113

I also tucked one of Bernie's Cox micro servos in the Q-Tee's cockpit as a "Stand-By" to operate the throttle on some of my engines.

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 24_111

Last edited by Kim on Fri May 08, 2020 11:09 am; edited 8 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep Empty Re: Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:32 am

A plusses for the following Kim:

Interchangeable engines and  mounts. Love that Spitzy.

Readers (I can't live without them) and safety glasses (I often do)

Mini Dremel

Sanding block...……….and

Standard High Wing uncomplicated functional block of a red airplane.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep Empty Re: Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep

Post  Kim Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:22 am

STILL brushing coats of Brodak clear dope on the Navigator while messing with the Q-Tee as they dry.

I decided the Q-Tee needed it's own "Board of Engines", so I cut one out that can accommodate any of the .020 backplate styles I've got..

Making some racket----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7imoLtV7xKo&t=18s
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:25 am

As the Brits would say - Brilliant Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:36 am

rsv1cox wrote:As the Brits would say - Brilliant Smile

Thanks Bob!

As long as I'm not a "Wanker" !!!!!!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:11 pm

Bloody fine job!...
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:38 pm

A well executed plan there Kim with the interchangable firewalls and engines. It is nice to have the ability to make it nice and gentle, and wild all with a few turns of a screwdriver. Definately have to remember this if I come to build my next model.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks Guys !!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:58 am

finally saw the electric finger on the floor.....grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:38 am

fredvon4 wrote:finally saw the electric finger on the floor.....grin

Oh yeah...the Hornet gets used a lot!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:39 am

Yes good idea on the mount replacements of difft. engines Thumbs Up Planes is looking good man ! Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:53 am

getback wrote:Yes good idea on the mount replacements of difft. engines Thumbs Up  Planes is looking good man ! Popcorn

Thanks Eric! Gonna get the radio in the Q-Tee today!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 pm

The Q-Tee's coming down to the wire. Making a new windshield, hatch, and fixing a warp in it's silkspan-covered tail gave me some entertainment today.

Had to do a little surgery to check out it's battery because I couldn't remember what I put in there, and didn't make a note...duh.

Cousin Bill's little model ought to be ready by the time we get some decent weather. My new/old Royal Spitfire .065 will be it's powerplant on it's first flight.

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 0_25
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 1_96
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 2_89
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 3_011
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:58 pm

The Navigator and Skylark are now ready for their white base coats, but need some less blush-worthy weather before I point a paint gun at them.

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 0_26

The Q-Tee is ready but for a little cosmetic stuff, which I wasn't in the mood for, so the Swap Meet Rescue Veco "Brave" became my first test of the doctor's exam table paper Andrew sent me a while back (thanks again Andrew!).

It's builder had covered it with silkspan that had gone brittle with age, and also had done some filling work on it's forward fuselage.  I intend just to clear-coat the bare wood (with sanding between coats) 'till I get a shine, then go with some base orange, with black & white trim. That's the plan at the moment...

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 2_142

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 1_151
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 3_131
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 5_128

The paper's fibers don't seem to be quite as strong as my silkspan, but it held together enough for me to dip it in water and blot it on some paper towels before doping it to the Brave's wing.  It looks pretty good, so now, we'll see how a couple coats of clear Brodak will work on it.

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 6_48
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 6_412
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 6_612

The engine mount holes were drilled to fit a McCoy .35, so that's what it will get...though the engine looks a bit large for the thing.

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 7_39

Last edited by Kim on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:52 pm

I love all of the Veco Indian series. My dad just gave me his Veco Chief which has been in the box for I don't know how long. I sold my Warriors last year but it's good to know the person I sold them too is still flying them. If I'm not mistaken, the Brave is a .19 size plane? These get very confusing, my Warrior was dual cockpit for .35. I had a Squaw with a LA .25. It flew well but seemed wrong to have a modern engine in it. Looks too cool, keep up the nice work. I'm certain it's going to look great.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:42 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             I love all of the Veco Indian series. My dad just gave me his Veco Chief which has been in the box for I don't know how long. I sold my Warriors last year but it's good to know the person I sold them too is still flying them. If I'm not mistaken, the Brave is a .19 size plane? These get very confusing, my Warrior was dual cockpit for .35. I had a Squaw with a LA .25. It flew well but seemed wrong to have a modern engine in it. Looks too cool, keep up the nice work. I'm certain it's going to look great.  

Thanks Ken!!

I need to look it up...it certainly LOOKS like a .19 size plane...can't remember if the case sizes between the .19 & .35 are the same.  If they are, I'll probably wrangle a .19 for it from somewhere...don't need it to fly like a combat plane.  

Yeah, having a big time out in the shop lately, and hopefully be adding some new (and old) flyers to the roster pretty soon.

Come on Springtime!!!!

Last edited by Kim on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:41 am

Hea man , i think that is a Squaw all the Brave kits i have seen were 2 seaters ?  https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=5427.0  And a .19 size engine ? But it does look cool either way ! Very Happy  Well it is early lol the Squaw engine is inverted DUH Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep Veco_s10 But why is it 2 seater ? Huh...
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:31 am

Oh, OK!  Thanks Eric, you're absolutely right!!  Thank you for the Scan!!!!!!!!!   I ought to look these things up before I tag them!  Gonna give Breezy Hill Billy some grief over this!!!  My scanner has croaked, or I'd post it's ad page.

After finally looking it up, I discovered that Ken was right about the Brave, it IS designed for a .19, while the Squaw's ad calls for a VECO .29.  Now, I may be looking for a Veco .29 if the bolt pattern is close to a McCoy.  Anybody got one for sale in their stock, please let me know.

So, it shall now be referred to as the "Squaw", though that name may draw some flak from my goofy sister-in-law who discovered a few years ago that she has just enough Miami Indian DNA to pow-wow with the tribe down in Oklahoma!   Nothing more sensitive than a "Born-Again Indian"!

Last Stand Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Kim wrote:
Ken Cook wrote:             I love all of the Veco Indian series. My dad just gave me his Veco Chief which has been in the box for I don't know how long. I sold my Warriors last year but it's good to know the person I sold them too is still flying them. If I'm not mistaken, the Brave is a .19 size plane? These get very confusing, my Warrior was dual cockpit for .35. I had a Squaw with a LA .25. It flew well but seemed wrong to have a modern engine in it. Looks too cool, keep up the nice work. I'm certain it's going to look great.  

Thanks Ken!!

I need to look it up...it certainly LOOKS like a .19 size plane...can't remember if the case sizes between the .19 & .35 are the same.  If they are, I'll probably wrangle a .19 for it from somewhere...don't need it to fly like a combat plane.  

Yeah, having a big time out in the shop lately, and hopefully be adding some new (and old) flyers to the roster pretty soon.

Come on Springtime!!!!

If you can’t wrangle up a K&B 19 for it locally, there is one on Craigslist Chicago with a BabeBee sidekick!
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 261de910
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep Bca82210
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:42 pm

Kim wrote:   Nothing more sensitive than a "Born-Again Indian"!

Last Stand Kim

Laughing I needed a laugh bro.. and you gave it to me!

Your Veco (Squaw?) looks a lot like their Warrior model. I have my Dad's Warrior and the Veco .35 engine that was in it. I another Warrior which was 95% built (by my uncle) but never covered/finished. Both models have the "pinked-cloth" hinges on their flaps/elev. Old-school solid-wire lead-outs.

Dad's Warrior and Veco .35C engine.

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 5-8-1412

Uncle Vin's 95% built Warrior. Note the water-stained tail-section. Hangar-quality wasn't always up to snuff.. over the 20 some-odd years that I've had the model.

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 20200311
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 20200312

Virgin beams.. ready to accept many .19/.35 2-stroke glow-engines.

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 20200313

I'm tempted to check-fit an Enya .19 that was also my uncle's..

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep My_eny10

If your curious to see what might fit in the nose of your Veco; I have the above-referenced Enya .19, "McCoys" .19 (RH) and .35 (RH) also Fox .25RC/CL, .29/.35 "Stunt" designated.. also Veco .35 and OS .25FPS. Any of those.. I can give you mounting-measurements.

I LOVE the modular-mount firewall app. to the Q-Tee! We'll have to be patient and wait for the vids.. which are always EPIC.

I hope that you get a dry-spell for being able to paint. Our weather here in RI is all over the road..

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:49 pm

roddie wrote:
Kim wrote:   Nothing more sensitive than a "Born-Again Indian"!

Last Stand Kim

Laughing I needed a laugh bro.. and you gave it to me!

Your Veco (Squaw?) looks a lot like their Warrior model. I have my Dad's Warrior and the Veco .35 engine that was in it. I another Warrior which was 95% built (by my uncle) but never covered/finished. Both models have the "pinked-cloth" hinges on their flaps/elev. Old-school solid-wire lead-outs.

Dad's Warrior and Veco .35C engine.

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 5-8-1412

Uncle Vin's 95% built Warrior. Note the water-stained tail-section. Hangar-quality wasn't always up to snuff.. over the 20 some-odd years that I've had the model.

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 20200311
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 20200312

Virgin beams.. ready to accept many .19/.35 2-stroke glow-engines.  

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 20200313

I'm tempted to check-fit an Enya .19 that was also my uncle's..

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep My_eny10

If your curious to see what might fit in the nose of your Veco; I have the above-referenced Enya .19, "McCoys" .19 (RH) and .35 (RH) also Fox .25RC/CL, .29/.35 "Stunt" designated.. also Veco .35 and OS .25FPS. Any of those.. I can give you mounting-measurements.

I LOVE the modular-mount firewall app. to the Q-Tee! We'll have to be patient and wait for the vids.. which are always EPIC.

I hope that you get a dry-spell for being able to paint. Our weather here in RI is all over the road..

Well, the Mystery of "The Plane With No Name" continues! AND...looking a the inverted engine, and rounded contour of the Squaw's snout, vrs the square nose / side-panel cowling and upright engine of the Warrior...maybe this thing IS a Warrior after all. The dual cockpit can easily be covered. The mounts are already drilled and fit a McCoy .35, so that may be what it gets.

I finally took a tape measure to it's span, and came up with 37"...nothing like an odd number to put it right between the Warrior's 36" and the Squaw's 38" !!!!

It'd be neat for you to get your Warrior going!

Yeah, think the Q-Tee will be fun, and it will ALSO be fun to break out the video cameras again...been a while.

I missed a good day for painting today due to a short-lived bout of responsibility that saw me do a major load of laundry and other boring grown-up stuff. The paint gun, it's hoses, and their victims are staged and waiting for that combination of mood, opportunity, and weather to line up.

Hope you and yours are safe out there!

Responsible Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:18 pm

Finally, at least ONE "Finished Post" added to this salad of model projects.

Cousin Bill's Q-Tee is totally ready to go, with it's 1st Flight since restoration to be powered by an Anderson Royal Spitfire.

I had wanted to keep it as original as possible, but was pretty worried that the tiny wheels Bill chose would not let it roll across my yard (most of it's life was spent landing in clover or beans).  So I tagged the originals and used these vintage style wheels that go pretty good with it's personality.

It's got a two ounce tank that should give some pretty good cruising time for the various engines that are gonna power it.

Next time you see it...it will be flying !!!!

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 10_42
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 11_36
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 12_32

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 13_30

Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 1_158
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 2_105
Back in the Shop--It's All in the Prep 3_77

https://youtu.be/mjI3nuU04RE
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:35 am

Great job Kim. She is a looker. Will be watching for the maiden video, as I know that too will be great!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:01 am

Hi Kim, I've been spying on your work :-) ... I'm glad to see how you finished it.
I like its restoration that maintains its vintage history.
Those little machines that have pleased others (Your cousin Bill), must be very happy that their model is in your hands. Without a doubt, friend!
I hope you stay healthy and I will be here accompanying you at all times. It is beautiful to share with you and with all of you.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:31 am

Thank you guys!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next