Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference? Cox_ba12

Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 9:54 am

» How's the weather?
by HalfaDave Today at 9:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by sosam117 Today at 8:24 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference? Empty
Live on Patrol

Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference? Empty Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference?

Post  Kim Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:32 pm

Not wanting to trust my current batch of Fox Glow Plugs to get me through the summer, I'm looking to get some O.S. Brand Plugs. I'm doing mostly .29-.40 size CL engines so, any of you guys have a preference on the numbers they list?

Feeling the Glow Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference? Empty Re: Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference?

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:15 pm

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference? Empty Re: Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference?

Post  Kim Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:42 pm

Sounds good to me!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Thanks Bob! Got some on the way !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:50 pm

Smile Smile Smile

Remember these...………….

Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference? P1010244

I bought about 15 of them last year and ran a test on a few. No Idle bar but it did fine in a throttled engine. Worked Ok in C/L engines too. Then it burned out, and another. Cheap but I can't remember the price. They do look nice on my display engines though.

I never have had a problem with Enya 3's on any engine throttled or not.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:03 pm

I'm clueless when it comes to glowplugs. All I ever ran were cox .049s. Now I have OS and Enya engines . Long plugs,short plugs,idle bar plugs? How do you know what engine is supposed to use what plug?
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:38 pm

OhBee wrote:I'm clueless when it comes to glowplugs. All I ever ran were cox .049s.  Now I have OS and Enya engines . Long plugs,short plugs,idle bar plugs? How do you know what engine is supposed to use what plug?

Need to have Bob the check in on this. My particular experience from "back in the day" was that the idle bar types "kept the fire burning" at low RPM's, but I noticed that O.S. engines had a near-electric motor idle without idle bar plugs. I've got a blend of them, along with a bunch of Fox plugs I got right before guys started saying they sucked!!!

As far as long or short lengths, I'd just check the manual, and there's that whole "heat range" thing too, but I'm a bit clueless there also.

As I look at this note, it seems fairly useless, but I already typed it so....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:12 pm

I have, on occasion, snipped the idle bar off of an R/C short plug and put it in some of my .049s with some fairly decent results. I don't remember the brands or their heat indexes though.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:25 pm

For the plug length I take the head off and put a plug in with a washer to see if it is flush with the combustion chamber. Then I scribe on the head OS, S (short) or L (long) It is really the only way to know for sure. OS used longs on the FSRs and earlier, but then went to their own length which is the same as Enya and a few more now. For longs I like K&B 1L. Longs are 7/32", shorts are 5/32" and the middle ones are 3/16" or probably 5mm. For the middle reach, Enya or OS are good at whatever heat you need. I have never seen a motor that took shorts, although I tried changing some heads to use them in the search for more power. I find they strip easily.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:52 pm

I use idle bar plugs in my engines with no ill effects, however, from what I recall idle bar plugs are well suited to older baffled piston engines to help keep the fuel splash off of the element to keep it burning hotter and not cooling down. SO on my older baffled piston engines, I do use idle bar plugs exclusively.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:11 pm

The engines I use shorts on are Wen-Macs, Cub Bs and Cs, Atwoods and Andersons. If you don't snip the idle bar with those engines you'll frequently collide with piston.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:39 pm

All Fox .15's also use shorts
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:48 pm

aspeed wrote:.............For the plug length I take the head off and put a plug in with a washer to see if it is flush with the combustion chamber.  ................

NEW222 wrote: ...from what I recall idle bar plugs are well suited to older baffled piston engines to help keep the fuel splash off of the element to keep it burning hotter and not cooling down. SO on my older baffled piston engines, I do use idle bar plugs exclusively.  

Ditto for me on both counts above.  Idle bar plugs were pretty much the standard some 50 years ago with the un-muffled baffled piston engines. However, all the Enyas I had also used an exhaust baffle that rotated closed at idle speeds to help keep the heat up.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:46 am

These would certainly be my choice as well Bob, but at $152.80 AUD shipped for 5 Affraid or WOW! I'll be delaying any purchase until the $$ stabilizes. (That's about $97 USD)
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:35 am

I'm down to just a few Rod, I hoard them like gold.

As far as selection, even the engine manufacturers hedge on glow plug recommendations.  Enya generally recommends "Testing your engine with various types of glow plugs to get the best conditions."  Testors and others just give the part number of their specific plug.  They are far more apt to recommend proper propeller sizes than glow plugs.  

There is some information regarding glow plugs on the net, a little digging will reveal a lot.  But, still, what is out there is kind of shallow.  Seems with glow plug selections we are mostly on our own.  But common sense prevails in all cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glow_plug_%28model_engine%29

A good one to bookmark.

http://www.scootworks.com/rdrcdave/gloplugs.html
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:11 am

A lot of money and frustration can be saved by knowing what plugs work. When buying plugs, you should buy a card of 12. Economically, this is the best option. A Thunderbolt r/c long with idle bar will work better than any other plug using  stunt fuels.
While I'm a fan of Enya plugs and use them frequently, they're not for every engine. The funny top also doesn't allow the use of standard igniters to fit. I've found them to work extremely well in OS FP.40's. Bob Hunt has made the Enya #3 recommendation several times over the years for stunt use.  A Thunderbolt is the most economical choice due to cost and it's hands down the hottest plug available today which is what stunt fuels and stunt runs require. A Sig  GP001 and a GP003 would be my next choice in terms of hot, however, I've had Sig plugs just clean shut off when they start acting up and this does that at the most opportune time which is at the top of the circle and this is not tank issues. They tend to lose their lower coils fairly quickly. If you want to drain your wallet quickly, Randy's K&B 1L plug offerings from Mecoa were in the past good hot plugs. I haven't used the newer offerings and at the given cost, I won't be using them anytime soon. He can keep  them  and someday offer them to the Smithsonian.

My experiences on plugs are not run on a bench. When we have a stunt contest of 30 people or more, we don't have time for those with engine starting problem. You have 2 minutes to get your engine running, if it's not running and your not in the air by the two minute mark, your flight is terminated as you wouldn't have enough time to complete the maneuvers anyhow. If everyone isn't ready, fueled and their equipment properly working, you would never get through a contest so knowing what works is critical. Combat is different however, you still are on the clock.

Fox plugs use the smallest filament out of any manufacture and it glows so bright it's almost white. The posts leak, rpm's drop when you remove the igniter,  the posts blow out, the coils come loose and can ruin a engine in a millisecond.  I have used them, I still use them on less expensive engines like Mccoy's. I give them to the cheapskates who come to the field when they ask do you have a plug. Fox plugs work great if your breaking in a engine and you can sometimes use it as a reference as to when it's ready for a plane as it will blow just prior.

The Fireball plugs I've owned aside from the shorts have blown out every post and insulators. Horrid things they are.

Os plugs work great in the OS engines but they're a medium length plug which may or may not work in other engines effectively. This can go the other way as well using the plugs I mentioned above in OS engines due to the standard long being of one length. OS plugs are between a long and a short in length which alters the timing.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks Bob good info on plugs , Booked ! Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:41 am

Yes! Who is a source for the Thunderbolt Plugs? I'm still doing a search for them...only one #115545 turned up on Ebay.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Speaking of Glow Plugs: Preference? Empty several on Stunt Hanger recommend these

Post  fredvon4 Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:00 am

while there cruise around and book mark the site as a source

In general, the higher the the nitro percentage, the colder the plug should be. Conversely, the lower the nitro percentage, the hotter the plug should be.

https://www.mikegoesflying.com/shop/engine-accessories/thunderbolt-standard-long-plug-universal-control-line-and-r-c-plug/

Last edited by fredvon4 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:31 am; edited 15 times in total
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 am

Good source for motors too. Notice the .15 glow, and Gas .37 motor he carries. Just a note though, he does not ship out of the U.S. I can drive to Detroit, but can not cross the border presently. There are post office boxes available for that purpose, but not now. Europe and overseas would be SOL too. (I have had it bookmarked for over a year, he carried the old XLS .15s for a short time till Sanye went bankrupt.)
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:38 am

THANK YOU FRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:39 am

THANK YOU FRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:42 am

Do McCoy four stroke r/c plugs have any applications other than the label?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:20 am

Mike Goes Flying is the only source for Thunderbolt plugs. Mike took the line over a short while ago. Prior to that, the plugs were distributed by Global Industries which was essentially Hobby People.He's currently out of Thunderbolt R/c Longs with idle bars. When they come back in stock, act fast because they're out in a short period of time.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:07 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Mike Goes Flying is the only source for Thunderbolt plugs. Mike took the line over a short while ago. Prior to that, the plugs were distributed by Global Industries which was essentially Hobby People.He's currently out of Thunderbolt R/c Longs with idle bars. When they come back in stock, act fast because they're out in a short period of time.

Yeah...I got some anyway...hopefully be just fine for my Fence-Post-Jumpinng Toys...

Thank You Again for the Direction!

Glow Plug Poor Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next