Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Cox_ba12

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:51 pm

» Tired of it all…
by 706jim Today at 10:03 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:58 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Empty
Live on Patrol

Jetco F-7 Cutlass

Go down

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Empty Jetco F-7 Cutlass

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:12 pm

I just completed a fairly rare build, the Jetco F-7 Cutlass. The "Gutless Cutlass" has been a favorite of mine for many years. This rendition of it does it no justice but I still favor this one. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some flights on it. I was having a lot of difficulty with my Jetex engines. I had no issues lighting them off, I just was losing thrust for various reasons. I made some adjustments to the casing wire and new gaskets so I have my fingers crossed. I did some test glides with it and I was overly impressed with it's gliding ability. I haven't put it on a catapult launch yet, I will try that tomorrow prior to the power flight. These kits are really becoming difficult to source. My blue dope has been getting some mileage as well. This is the 4th plane I've done in the past few months using it. It thickens up in the bottle and I keep thinning it out.

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Dscn2927

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Dscn2928
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Empty Funny....

Post  happydad Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Ken Cook wrote:           I just completed a fairly rare build, the Jetco F-7 Cutlass. The "Gutless Cutlass" has been a favorite of mine for many years. This rendition of it does it no justice but I still favor this one. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some flights on it. I was having a lot of difficulty with my Jetex engines. I had no issues lighting them off, I just was losing thrust for various reasons. I made some adjustments to the casing wire and new gaskets so I have my fingers crossed.  I did some test glides with it and I was overly impressed with it's gliding ability. I haven't put it on a catapult launch yet, I will try that tomorrow prior to the power flight. These kits are really becoming difficult to source. My blue dope has been getting some mileage as well. This is the 4th plane I've done in the past few months using it. It thickens up in the bottle and I keep thinning it out.

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Dscn2927

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Dscn2928

Ken Cook:  funny you should bring up the Cutlass F-7. I have had a foam version in my garage for years. I bought it to build during nights when I was away from home on business, but there were no instructions. I thought I could figure it out and make it into a RC sailplane. Never could find instructions anywhere. My kit is a Sure Flite Products kit out of Buenaventura’s Park here in CA. Also funny the address is on Knott ave. near Knotts Berry Farm, a local attraction. The box says: for .01 engine or slope soaring. Very interesting seeing your plane. Tweets my interest.

Happydad RC Plane   Jeep   Old Bugger United States
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Empty Re: Jetco F-7 Cutlass

Post  Kim Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:30 pm

WHOA MOMMA!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:40 pm

I built it with what was left of my last tube of Ambroid. I really wish they still made it. I love using it when you have to edge join balsa as it sands in beautifully. I guess I'm a purist, I just have no desire to use CA unless absolutely needed.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Empty F-7 Cutlas, Foam Wing version

Post  happydad Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:16 am

Ken Cook:  I couldn't take it, I had to see why I couldn't build the kit in 1984. Now I see why. It is similar yours in that the fuselage and everything BUT the wing is balsa. see below:

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Img_1726
Watch out, I am catching up, lol!    notice foam wing.  Oh, and no instructions.

Did your's come with instructions? anything?  There are popout parts for the fuselage, but past that there are many, many little balsa parts, that I could never figure out.

happydad RC Plane Old Bugger United States
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:36 am

I see a few things not structurally correct with that foam wing. It should have a 1/8" kerf 3/8" deep on the center of the leading edge. It should also have a shear web kerf at the high point of the airfoil . I don't know how one would expect that wing to have stability to prevent flexing. The next hurdle is where the wing root plugs onto the fuselage. My preference would be through it rather than onto it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:00 am

Ken, that blue on natural just works!!! Beautiful.

"Gutless Cutlas" true. But my memories of the plane at NAS Jacksonville in the 1950's were of it hitting the afterburners standing on it's tail and taking off almost vertically while the jealousy windows on our little 28' trailer shook with vibration. We were situated right at the end of the runway. Those were good times. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:24 am

While deemed Gutless, the Cutlass was a neat plane and by today standards would probably fair quite well with a modern powerplant. I think the main problem with the early jets was their lack of being able to quickly develop thrust. Watching a few videos of the Cutlass, all pilots landed with the cockpit open which is a bit unusual. I'm sure they were very nervous. The other problem was the HUGE!! landing gear which probably made seeing next to impossible. I also think I read that shortly after the development of the Cutlass and the one fatal crash on the USS Hancock, flight decks were now made skewed to stop planes that missed or broke the hook to get off. Currently, there's one being restored in Washington state. It's been going on for decades not too mention another plane which was used for salvageable parts. There's no way to retrofit a modern engine without structurally changing the airframe which would require the plane to be entirely removed from service.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:05 am

Nice Looking Plane , is there not going to be a blast deflector so it don't burn the wing ? And are the fins set for turning ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:46 am

For the life of me I can never figure out why I get a double post at times.

Last edited by Ken Cook on Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:48 am

It won't burn the wings, the fuse is more harmful than the exhaust. A portion of the elevator is glue to the rudder prior to mounting. I have a little more induced up elevator. If that doesn't work I use a heat gun and offer a bit of rudder.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Empty No instructions. LOL

Post  happydad Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Ken Cook wrote:               I see a few things not structurally correct with that foam wing. It should have a 1/8" kerf 3/8" deep on the center of the leading edge. It should also have a shear web kerf at the high point of the airfoil . I don't know how one would expect that wing to have stability to prevent flexing. The next hurdle is where the wing root plugs onto the fuselage. My preference would be through it rather than onto it.

Ken Cook:  hey, no instructions. What would you expect. Besides CA glue fixes everything doesn’t it? Oops, except foam wings. lol!

I will look deep into the box for all those items next time I get a chance, maybe 2040, and get back to you. lol!

Happydad RC Plane   Jeep     Old Bugger  United States
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Empty Jetco Cutlass

Post  Rocky_Roger Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:17 am

Hi,

my name is Roger Simmonds, owner/manager of the jetex.org website. The Jetco Cutlass is a long-lost Bill Dean profile design that us Jetex junkies have been looking for for many, many years. So I was thrilled to see your lovely recreation.

Was this built from the Jetco 'plan? If so, would it be possible to get a copy of this? A jpeg to my email address would be wonderful!

I have recreated many 1950's profile designs (see the website) and they fly splendidly with antique Jetex motors or the 'one shot' Rapier type motors. Jetco kits are ones I would love to add to my fleet and release back into the air!

In hope,

Roger
rsimmo@globalnet.co.uk
Rocky_Roger
Rocky_Roger

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:51 am

Rocky_Roger wrote:Hi,

my name is Roger Simmonds, owner/manager of the jetex.org website.  The Jetco Cutlass is a long-lost Bill Dean profile design that us  Jetex junkies have been looking for for many, many  years.  So I was thrilled to see your lovely recreation.  

Was this built from the Jetco 'plan?  If so, would it be possible to get a copy of this?  A jpeg to my email address would be wonderful!

I have recreated many 1950's profile designs (see the website) and they fly splendidly with  antique Jetex motors  or the 'one shot' Rapier type motors.  Jetco  kits are ones I would love to add to my fleet and release back into the air!

In hope,

Roger
rsimmo@globalnet.co.uk

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plans Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:07 pm

Hello Roger, I tried to become a member of the Jetex .org website and didn't have success. I do a lot of Jetex and Jet-X projects. I just flew a V-tail this past weekend with a Powermax 100 installed and it wasn't very enlightening. The Jetco Cutlass was built from a kit. The kits plans were absolutely terrible with nothing to scale aside the templates needed to set dihedral and rudder splay. I may have traced the parts onto the back of the plans sheet I don't recall. The kit was given to me by a fellow club member whom I told I would copy and return it. He said just build it and go fly it it's been sitting on that shelf for more than 30 years. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

hwere to buy foam -           Jetco F-7 Cutlass Empty Jetco Cutlass

Post  Rocky_Roger Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi Ken,
many thanks for your reply. Please try and join the Jetex forum again. If you tell me when you register, please tell me and I will sort out any difficulties. Please also register on our new plans archive site , which has nearly 300 Jetex plans - old and new which may interest you!

As to the 'plan' for the Jetco Cutlass, hopeless it may be, but it is better than nothing and I can always write about it in an article, so nothing is lost. The interest is because it is a long lost creation of Bill Dean and Andrew Longurst and I have been compiling a list of Dean's Jetex designs and this is one we haven't got!

So I would be grateful for scans of anything you have. I'm sure it could be tidied up with a bit of CAD magic fairy dust!
Rocky_Roger
Rocky_Roger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down