Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Dope free build Cox_ba12

Dope free build Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by DaveyMo Today at 10:39 am

» Simple Gliders
by getback Today at 7:13 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by getback Today at 6:24 am

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by getback Today at 6:23 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Dope free build Empty
Live on Patrol

Dope free build

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Help! Dope free build

Post  OhBee Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Is there anyway to attach and shrink/ seal a wing covering WITHOUT dope? Have none... nowhere for me to get any.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Dope free build

Post  pkrankow Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:49 pm

Many coverings can be set with glue, white, CA... shrunk with water or steam there are some threads on Stunthanger an artist Avaiojet.

Paint with rustoleum and polyurethane

Dunno, never really tried for real

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:48 am

White glue and water mix, glue stick.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:33 am

OhBee,
I discovered "Deft Clear Lacquer Sanding Sealer for Wood" in quart cans at my local Mom and Pop hardware store. It cost me $12/qt with a next-day delivery from warehouse.

The stuff behaves like nitrate dope. I have NOT checked it for fuel-proofing, but use it just as I would nitrate. The frame gets "Defted" and then tissue adhered with more Deft. I imagine the glue-stick method of sticking tissue would work quite well on a "Defted" frame.

Once covered, seal the covering with Deft. Then move on to fuel-proofing as usual. I imagine pulyurethane can be sprayed over Deft just fine. I have topcoated two models with  butyrate dope over Deft successfully.

The stuff dries fast, sands well, and sticks tissue down phenomenally. It also seals/shrinks tissue. It thins with lacquer thinner, and cleans up the same way as nitrate. Paint it In a closes-room environment for that old-school headrush we got as kids while doping models in the bedroom!

https://www.ppgpaints.com/products/interior-stain/deft-interior-clear-lacquer-sanding-sealer

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:03 am

From RC groups ( Curtis, as Steve mentioned, perhaps a sensible answer is needed here. I've used an Avery acid-free glue stick when attaching tissue to a model with great results over the years. I wrote about this back in the mid '80's in the First Steps column within Model Airplane News magazine if you want to read the article. Once the framework is tissue covered I then pin down the individual model items, i.e. wing panels and separate tail parts and such, to a flat board and spray everything with lite mist coats (do not soak the tissue) of water using a good atomizer and when all is shrunk as required and dry I then go over the parts with White Rain unscented extra hold hairspray (or similiar) and let the pinned items dry thoroughly. Usually I give the model items two or three lite coats of the hairspray and it does the trick. When everything is dry you can assemble the model and head on out for some trimming flights. It's a nice method that has given great results without stinking up the house or warping fragile model parts. Hope this can help you.)) https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1374412-Any-substitute-for-Dope
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:01 am

Very interesting Eric. Good little article.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:00 am

Iron on covering, not only is it easier, it's 100 times more durable. In addition, you have less warping issues. If a warp is induced, you just twist and heat in the opposing direction. Anyone who suggests that it's too heavy for 1/2A has never used it. I personally wouldn't use polyurethane on a 1/2A, it's heavy and it's weight doesn't go away like dope. Not only is dope important in terms of tightening the covering, it's also a plasticizer which offers it flexibility. Enamels and urethane doesn't offer that. The only urethanes that offer that are used on car bumpers and are two part examples which have a lot of flex additives. If you tear a dope finish silkspan, all you do is brush additional clear on top to repair it as it melts right in. This is not the situation using polyurethanes or enamels. Your essentially up the creek when this happens and nothing your going to do aside from using CA is going to adhere a patch. Iron is inexpensive, faster, lighter and stronger. It's a win win.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:19 am

Y use iron covering film for m'y model is possible To Find very light film just cant remember Witch chose at the time build for .020 tee dee litle plane very light ken cook its true dope and tisue some time color fade change like wite film if water on plane very bad now new matériel is best Welcom To 2020 build wit new matériel cnc parts laser cut super light film micro Reciver so meny new technologie as3x Reciver long range fpv in very smal stuf now very light old am rc gear stuf is for collector RC Plane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:55 pm

I wouldn't even attempt an iron on covering. Way above my pay grade...and have no special tools. Not even sure I can pull off any kind of wing covering anymore. It's been a few decades since the last one!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Jim...I just happen to have a quart of that deft sanding sealer I used on the fuselage! I was serioulsy looking at it and wondering?...... I do have some "docspan"!    🙂
.....scratch that......mines Varathane sanding sealer...like water with a white filler pigment mixed in! Nothing sticks to it!......😐

Last edited by OhBee on Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:27 pm

Do I mist the tissue before sticking it down ?...or after its applied dry?    Do you do the wing in 4 pieces...or 2..full span top and bottom?  I'm half scared to even attempt it and ruin all the previous hours of work!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:43 pm

OhBee,
I never concerned myself with trying to do a wing/fuselage in one piece. I like to do my tips first, one end at a time with top and bottom done one after the other. Then I do middle sections in pieces as big as possible... again top and then bottom.
If the tissue will lay down straight, then I lay it dry. But that tends to only happen when doing one bay or section at a time.

If the piece won't lay down smoothly, say, as over three or four sections/bays, then I mist the tissue for some stretch.
Each section is secured only at the perimeter of a section...no doping middles/open structure until the entire part is covered.

I usually won't start doping open bays until the entire part is covered. That way no ribs/bulkheads/formers get pulled out of place by tissue shrinking over different sections at different times.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Thanks Jim!.....pondering my next move...
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:27 pm

Give me a bit of time. I'm about done building a wing...and will capture the steps in covering it. The bell tank is mounted, and the mid-section sheeting remains to be glued on. The fuselage is almost done from firewall back...the engine cowl needs to be built. Both will be done with Deft, and sealed with old Pactra AeroGloss.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:24 pm

Sounds good! Whatcha building now?
I'm just putting sanding sealer coats on my wing framework.....not sure where I'm going from there. I never get to town,and near everything is limited and masks required. I ain't into masks.....I can't breathe!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:26 pm

I'd say the Deft thing is gonna work! Took a lot of driving to stores and phone calls to even find that! This area is a hobbyists desert when it cDope free build 20201115
omes to any kind of supplies
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:32 am

Shoot OhBee that looks Great !! Smoking
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:25 am

OhBee,

Looks great.

As you have already figured out the days of local hobby shops have gone the way of the Dodo. Like it or not, but everything is still available online. It doesn’t give you the instant reward, but it’s what we have to deal with. Don’t give up, just adapt and overcome!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:28 am

OhBee,

That looks fabulous!

That is Tidi-brand PN 98-1004 office exam table paper in "Every day" crepe. Also possibly McKesson 18-1004...colloquially known as "Doc-span" for its origins.

I bought some around a year ago by the roll. Now the vendor no longer sells by the roll. It is available in 12 rolls per box.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:45 pm

Problem is you need a computer and a credit card to purchase online....I have neither...just this damned phone. Smile.......and the wife is adamant about no card info on the internet,due to hackers and theft. ....so I'm basically screwed as far as parts and supplies go.  I would never have gotten THIS far without help from  you guys on this forum!  My last build was 53 yrs.  ago.  That's why I started with a simple kit,that really wasn't that simple trying to relearn everything. Its been one screw up or mistake after another. Tomorrow is my birthday.....and I'll then officially be too old to finish this thing. Didn't FEEL old in my 60's.....70 is another story!...it SOUNDS old!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Don't give up!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Well, I must say that you have done a great job with the wing covering, and model overall in general!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:57 pm

OhBee wrote:I'd say the Deft thing is gonna work!  Took a lot of driving to stores and phone calls to even find that! This area is a hobbyists desert when it cDope free build 20201115
omes to any kind of supplies

That's looking alright OhBee, I'll have to look for some of that Deft and try it out. keep plucking away, that's what i do, I'm not very good at great detail but my planes fly. I think it's because i don't have a lot of patience. keep it up it's lookin good.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:13 am

I'm TOO fussy with this stuff!....and I STILL screw up!.....driving myself nuts!Dope free build 20201116
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:08 am

Love the color , to olds Butt LOL it takes longer but well worth the effort when all is done ,, i haven't built anything in several years now just not had the ambition and that peas me off I really thought after getting my disability and all the time i have i would bee all into it and its not like i don't have enough supplies . Planes 1/2 done , repairs needed planes ready to fly , engines out the wysue ...... Rolling Eyes
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next