Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Minnie Mambo Rescue Cox_ba12

Minnie Mambo Rescue Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 6:22 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Minnie Mambo Rescue Empty
Live on Patrol

Minnie Mambo Rescue

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Minnie Mambo Rescue Empty Minnie Mambo Rescue

Post  NEW222 Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:11 pm

Hey all. So today I did something that just had to be done. I rescued this Minnie Mambo! Been watching it online for over a month. Called the seller and talked to him about it. Made an offer and he accepted, as I was the only one to actually call or message about it the whole time it was listed. So met up with him after work. Quite the back story. The plane is brand new, just over 53 years old.... He had built it in his apartmant in between 1964 and 1967 when he and his wife bought their first house, of which they still reside. He is a flier, but never got to flying this one and he said he may as well get rid of it. Also to note, he told me he just ran it the other day in the basement and got in trouble form 'the boss' for doing such. He unfortunately did not remember what it was covered with, other than a fabric. It also came with the original box and plans, and in the box was a piece of some sort of fabric. It is not silk, but rather more 'rough' and not at tight as weave. I am not sure what the paint is. The red does seem to have the shine and feel of dope, but the white does feel and look like house paint to me, but I may be wrong.

I am not really sure now what to do with this model. It is rudder only and built as per plan. This is where the problem arises. It was built for an escapment, so if I was to redo it, I would need to cut and remove that control rod to replace it with a proper rod for rudder control. And while in there, I think it would be beneficial to also add an elevator. If I was to do it, I would probably modify/trim the rudder so an elevator would also work, and then add an elevator to the existing horizontal stabalizer rather than cutting into it. But there are also two other things to me. First is that it is not a top tier built or show model, but also is over 53 years old and I would hate to take it up and crash it. And on the flip side, as we have no kids, and modelling is getting smaller and smaller here it seems, if I did not fly it, its destiny would probably end up being a big bin, without ever seeing flight as was designed and hanging up inside. What to do, what to do.... At least it is winter here now so I do have some time to decide!

Minnie Mambo Rescue 13728010
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Minnie Mambo Rescue Empty Re: Minnie Mambo Rescue

Post  944_Jim Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:27 pm

Chancey,

That is so cute!

I think it would be worth checking the paint to see if nitro would wreck it, or go crazy and convert to diesel. Did he give you the transmitter too?

If you have the radio, and the paint appears to be fuel proof, then it may be just plain old simple fun to fly rudder-only!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:38 pm

Just going to go on a whim here and say that it is fuelproof as he did run it the other day again and there is no damage to the paint at all, and I did clean the residue off myself. He also said he ran it every year or two to make sure the engine was still good. But a good idea to run it myself a few tanks just to make sure.

As for the radio.... Unfortunately he never did have one for it nor was any electronics ever installed. Every time I see a model like this designed for the old school stuff, I often wonder how fun it would be to actually try one like it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:38 pm

BRAVO on the RESCUE!!!
On the rudder torque rod, Tony (xplaneguy) and I both have models using the the torque rod by turning a servo on it's side, with a pin in it's arm that engages the "U" shaped wire meant for an escapement.
I added a small trailing edge strip for Little Traveler's elevator, and it's wonderful flyer.

Minnie Mambo Rescue 51_18

Last edited by Kim on Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:39 pm

Very nice and great story, I say fly it and modify it to suit you. You are totally correct in your assumption. It will get trashed one way or another, either by you or the garbage man. Enjoy it while you have wind in your lungs!

You can always build another one if you like the way it flies.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:07 am

Thanks guys. I do believe that I will fly it as it was meant to take to the air.

Also, thanks Kim. I may hit you up for a couple of pictures if you do not mind when I get around to it. I like the way you made teh original rod work. Something I had not thought of. I do believe that the rod is straight with no way to make teh servo work as in your picture, but I think I have the means to modify it to suit. A very great and ingenius idea!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:18 am

NEW222 wrote:Thanks guys. I do believe that I will fly it as it was meant to take to the air.

Also, thanks Kim. I may hit you up for a couple of pictures if you do not mind when I get around to it. I like the way you made teh original rod work. Something I had not thought of. I do believe that the rod is straight with no way to make teh servo work as in your picture, but I think I have the means to modify it to suit. A very great and ingenius idea!

Hey,
I was getting tired and didn't give proper credit on this particular photo. It's Tony's installation in his adopted Jr. Falcon that he was flying in the 2019 S.M.A.L.L. Fun-Fly. I have the same general set-up in my Lil' Punkin, though I couldn't immediately find photos of it.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing about your fun project!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:23 pm

Nice story Chancey. I love these old retro's being brought back to something useful. Your going to have a lot of fun with it.

I found this oldie with escapement and OMG converted it to control line going against all conventional wisdom. It's yours to do with as you please. Keep us informed.

Minnie Mambo Rescue Antiqu10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:22 pm

Cool! I'd definitlly put new servos in it, add elevator,and FLY it! ...I need to build something like that for one of my old .049s! Would like a throttle though...
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:58 pm

Neat plane there Bob. Did you do a thread on that one here? Just does not look familiar. Of course, I know it will not look the same anymore. Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:25 pm

NEW222 wrote:Neat plane there Bob. Did you do a thread on that one here? Just does not look familiar. Of course, I know it will not look the same anymore. Very Happy

Yes, sometime ago and thanks for asking as I like to show the darned thing off simply because it's so different, and maybe not in a good way.  Never flown it, but it's almost flight ready.  Just got to raise the control line wing guide a bit to address Ken's observation that it should align with the fuselage guide holes.  

Funny I have been racking my brain trying to remember the name of the thing.  Didn't know what it was when I found it on ebay, it came up in one of my Enya searches. Asked here if anyone knew and I'm sure that it was Ron that ID'd it as he has so many of my model airplane purchases.

Went to outerzone and found the plans, had staples blow them up and I reproduced the wings and the rest of it.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2415

Minnie Mambo Rescue Aircra24
Minnie Mambo Rescue P1010672
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:12 pm

Wow. I honestly do not remember that one. An amazing job at resurrecting and rebuilding that one to bring it a new life. I love watching your threads as they are very well detailed and the results are always spectacular! Thanks again for sharing them with us.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:00 pm

So, a couple things have developed over the past couple of hours..... Firstly, this thing will be seeing the air and fly! Secondly, it was suggested elsewhere too that an elevator would be a bonus, so an elevator it will be getting. It will not be cut out of the original horizontal stab, but rather added on to the back. A taped hinge was suggested, but when time comes to actually add it, I will see if I can possibly use small hinges.
Minnie Mambo Rescue 20210112
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:04 pm

Sorry I forgot the datails. It is 3/32" from my scrap pile, 3/4" wide by 6 3/4" long each half. The halves are seperated and joined by a 1/8" dowel.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:25 pm

And herebis the finished product taped in place.
Minnie Mambo Rescue 20210114
Minnie Mambo Rescue 20210113
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:46 pm

Who is Herebis? Very Happy

Looks good.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:36 pm

Herebis is another word for fat thumbs when posting on my phone. Very Happy

Thanks for the compliment. I am hoping that the 3/4" width will be enough. I guess only time will tell. But I also suppose having anything on the back would be better than the nothing that was supposed to be there. And on the bright side. Flights will only be about a minute and a half.....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:13 pm

That'll work!..
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:40 am

Chancey, you've got a gem there as the Mambo has the earlier Dural aluminum landing gear. Later, Sterling replaced it with a 3/32" music wire gear. I had the latter.

The Minnie is a really well laid out rudder only plane, will stunt with the best of them. I truly had a blast with mine back in the early 1980's. It could do 2 consecutive loops after a good spiral dive, would barrel roll like crazy. This was with the then new Cox .049 R/C Bee engine (was more powerful than a Babe Bee).

- George
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:10 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Who is Herebis? Very Happy

Looks good.

I thought Chancey meant Hubris - pride and self-confidence. Justified in his work.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:25 pm

Thank you for the compliment Bob.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:36 pm

Well, I didn't really do much tonight. Coated my elevators with WBPU, made 1 control rod, cut out the slots for them in the fuselage, and that was about it. Did some digging to find servos for it. Got a couple of Elite 6 gram micro servos I do plan on using. Thinking very hard of just hot gluing, or epoxying them to the fuselage sides. Of course, I would wrap tape around them first. The decision to use them was based on what I had learned in the past, but please do correct me if I am wrong.

I recall the formula of 1 oz/in of torque per square inch of surface to control. The rudder is approximately 5 square inches and the elevator halves combined (not including the joiner dowel) are 9.75 square inches. The servos put out 12.9 oz/in of torque at 4.8V. So if my math is correct, they should fit the bill. I will be using a Spektrum 300 mah Life battery if I do not need any extra weight to balance it, otherwise I will use a 4 cell AA receiver battery. So far, the weight is at 15.5 ounces without any electronics, battery, receiver, or pushrods. Hoping the little Babe Bee will handle it. Fingers crossed and time will tell.

Sorry I did not snap any pictures tonight. But will do so tomorrow when I get some more done on it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:35 am

Minnie mambo Man ! That plane look Nice , if the weight will work out i mite would out the Golden Bee on it for some stunt fun . Good story behind the plane and a one time owner at 53 yrs. wow that is a while , all the glue joints look good ? Popcorn Futaba Radio
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:02 pm

Well, it is almost complete. This is a copy and paste from another local forum I am on.

So it is just about finished now. Got teh tail surfaces all hooked up, servos installed, and receiver. Just have to permanently mount the receiver. I had used a 4 cell AA battery pack in the compartmnet right behind the engine/firewall. And even with the heavier 4 cell AA battery, I needed to add 3 ounces of weight under the engine to balance at the proper center of gravity. But it is what it is I guess. All said and done, total weight ready to fly will be a porky little 1 lb 8 oz. It does have a 218.75 square inch wing, so hope that helps some. Now only time will tell how it goes.
Minnie Mambo Rescue 14024910
Minnie Mambo Rescue 14033110
Minnie Mambo Rescue 14095810
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:58 pm

Tink the tee dee .09 wil fit bether on that size wit 1 lb tink wit les weight the .9 engine wil place lot more weight To Front than no nead To place over weight an posible To use smal lipo 7.4 v To save weight Not ad som more for the litle .049 800 To 900 gram max and its barely fly wit rpm range of 17k To 18 000rpm y tink u need new engine I think you should take it into consideration To get the best chance of success and have Good flight habit caractere in flight the plane look Good tink it deserve bether performance engine RC Plane Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum