Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fokker V.23 + MARZ 2.5D - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Fokker V.23 + MARZ 2.5D - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 9:54 am

» How's the weather?
by HalfaDave Today at 9:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by sosam117 Today at 8:24 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fokker V.23 + MARZ 2.5D - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Fokker V.23 + MARZ 2.5D

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fokker V.23 + MARZ 2.5D - Page 2 Empty Re: Fokker V.23 + MARZ 2.5D

Post  davidll1984 Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:07 pm

Wow, I'm impressed, I've always wanted to try diesel engines, I think I just have to find the right diesel fuel I have already considered this option with the cox motor but with dificult mechanical failure but I have learned since 15 years ago that I tried with a converted cox motor I own some new but old engine made for diesel an irvine .40 Rare 1964 Webra Mach II 2.49 cc Diesel Engine, not New ... but very good condition I looked at yours approximately the same size, this project seems to me to be worth it To build as long as I can make the right diesel mixture Cool model with good flying ability It was fun to watch RC Plane Canada Day Flag Fireworks
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:02 am

rsv1cox wrote:
First few seconds and the last few were pretty hairy

Yes, the takeoff was a bit dodgy - not enough rudder to keep it straight, and then pulled up too fast and lost too much speed. During the first turn I had no aileron authority, the model was banking left sharply and I had full right stick. Then it picked up speed again and it was ok.

The landing was fine, I just didn't make it into the mowed part of the grass, but the resulting flip is not really dangerous for the model. I was afraid it would have a tendency to drop the wing after power off, but I kept the airspeed high and there were no bad tendencies like that.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:47 am

cheers cheers Beer Cheers Beer Cheers Fireworks It was a little touchy at first and damn how much fuel did it go through in 2 min.s but still sounded strong . The air attack from hi sounded good you could hear it making speed Very Happy Did you fuel proof the inside ? I see what looks like bare wood from the cockpit .. Nice Maidan !! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:11 pm

The fuel tank is about 35cc, so the run time of less than two minutes is insane (or insanely low, I should say).
The cockpit is not fuelproofed, but no fuel is ever going to make it there, so that's fine. The engine bay is completely covered in epoxy. One part of the model that isn't fuelproofed, but should be is the bottom - a lot of spent oil is being blown there from underneath the engine cowling. At some point I will recover that part with fresh tissue and secure it with thinned down epoxy.

With regards to the RPM, the engine manual says it should be "no less than 15500" (on a 8x4 prop). This to me sounds like pure fantasy, in no report or video I've seen does it ever exceed 14.5k. My example is doing 12.5k in best case scenario Fair enough, I use more oil and less kerosene in the mixture than specified in the manual, so that's definitely a factor contributing to less-than-stellar performance. As these engines are hard to come by I prefer longevity over squeezing the last watt of power or the last gram of thrust out of it.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:35 pm

An 8x4 is a rather small prop for a 2.5cc diesel. I would use a 9x4-9x5 prop. That will keep the revs down and thus lower the fuel consumption too.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:45 pm

That would be true for a typical diesel, but the MARZ is really atypical. It has a short stroke, making it more suitable for lower diameter props. Also, the crankpin is a weak spot, therefore 9'' props aren't recommended, other than for breaking in, where the engine runs at low compression levels.
The engine manual calls for a 8x4 prop, so that's what I'm running it on.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:23 pm

A larger prop is actually a lower load on the engine and the conrod, as with on a diesel engine you will reduce the compression ratio accordingly. That is why one should run-in a diesel engine on a "larger" prop.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:11 am

I come across the Marz with regular frequency. I personally steer clear due to the manufacturing of these engines. The Marz, Meteor, Ucktam, Polet and others were basically teaching implements. You either had one that worked, worked ok or didn't work at all. While you have the supposed listed possible rpm's, it wouldn't surprise me to find the rpm range are  all over the place for these engines. I  agree with Kris that the 8x4 is too light. The other problem is that the manufacturers that decided the 8x4. What 8x4 prop was it? The glass and nylon  props that were typically available  are all over the place in terms of pitch and the end result is generally lighter then claimed. Therefore I can see the rpm's being higher due to a lighter pitch. I have 4 .15 sized diesels and none of them utilize a 4 pitch prop. That would be the MVVS .15, the Enya .15 Mk II, Silver Swallow ( Yin Yan), and the CS copy of the Yin Yan. I use a 8x6 for combat and a 9x4 for sport flying.

Last edited by Ken Cook on Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:12 am

deleted due to double post
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Fokker V.23 + MARZ 2.5D - Page 2 Empty MARZ 2.5 c.c.diesel

Post  fiery Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:23 pm

This is my MARZ.

It powers my well-used SIG AkroMaster on 52" lines with authority.

It took a while to run in but is a ready starter on running settings with no more than a choke prime.

To me they are the best value 2.5 c.c. sport diesel. Sure, they are a bit rough in presentation but they go like a cut snake. Look at the specs:

1. Twin Ball Raced
2. Reverse Drum Induction
3. Sprinkler Venturi and a decent "ST" type NVA
4. Webra Mach 1 2.5 copy porting

Nearly ten years since I first lifted it out of its box and it just keeps getting better.

Here it is fresh out of the box on the stand back in 2013. It has a "Macheast" exhaust collector ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kde17U2ZlNA
fiery
fiery
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:46 am

I’ve heard that if you get a good one, it’s a good engine. Average engines run well, but may quit abruptly due to a piston or bearing failure. A fair amount of them are duds from the beginning. Generally it was recommended to dismantle the engine first before attempting to run it to get rid of shavings and to smooth the edges a little if necessary. Just like any piece of Soviet machinery really.

I have one that I got with a bunch of engines, it’s frozen solid, not sure if it has seized mid-air or if it is just stuck with castor goo. There’s relatively large amount of old Soviet diesels here in Finland, as they were a popular souvenir to bring home back in the days of the bus tours to Leningrad. Mostly MK-17s, but a lot of MARZ’s too.

These were made at a helicopter repair facility during times when there were no choppers to overhaul or to make/repair parts for.

There’s an old joke that went around in Finland since the ’60s regarding the Soviet manufacturing quality:

”Big country, big tolerances”

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2