Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs Cox_ba12

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by DaveyMo Today at 9:39 am

» Simple Gliders
by getback Today at 6:13 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by getback Today at 5:24 am

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by getback Today at 5:23 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 5:17 am

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 12:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 6:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs Empty
Live on Patrol

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs Empty Half-A experiences at CL Clubs

Post  Yabby Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:07 pm

Hi,

I applied via the correct means to join a local Control Line club. I am 60 and used to fly a lot as a teenager. All kinds and sizes of engines but mostly combat wings and profile slab wing planes. Not particularly talented pilot or modeller but had great fun doing it. Im flying a lot again, all cox engines, profile slab wing design of my own that flies great on 40 foot dacron, got my loops, wingovers and inverted from wingovers or the tops of loops going again. Luckily, I can build the plane I use from a single sheet of balsa, as the only way to learn means crashing. lol! and for me, the crashing is a lot! cheers

Anyway, I thought I would join a CL club to spend time flying with other modellers. I dont know any of the members and have never met any of them etc. Joining was all fine, until I mentioned I fly half-A, and it was like some dirty offensive word. Basically they dont want members that fly half-A. I let it go at that, as I dont want to fly where Im clearly not wanted and also where Half-A is bad, but bigger engines are Ok. They fly on council provided land so I could force the issue but am not going to. The council also has land allocated for flying CL without being a club member. So I can fly there with no problem.

I know this forum has members from all over the world and many are club members, compete and have done so for many many years, and wondered if others had found similar attitudes to Half-A, or if I have been unlucky enough that my closest club has some attitude problems. I think I must have found a bad bunch, as Cox motors are probably the most prevalent CL engine.

It will not stop me flying my surestart 049 cox! as I said, I have flown many engines brands and sizes when young, and the Cox 049 surestart works best for me from all perspectives. Especially good, is that I can build planes for them that perform great, easily, cheaply and quickly without having to buy and assemble big complex models. I am not good at building big complex models, mind you, I am starting the build of a gyro copter from scratch for my cox and that WILL challenge my build skills. I think the likes of Ken would be disturbed by my build approach and lack of skills Laughing lol!

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs Empty Re: Half-A experiences at CL Clubs

Post  944_Jim Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:23 pm

Yabby,
It may be worth investigating just how small you can go "according to your "clubmates."" Then see if you can re-learn on a similarly sized engine. This is one place where I would want to see in writing what the smallest allowable engine is.

Once you woo them with your "build skills, and neato-keen beginner's models" they may soften to the engine of their parents' youth.

I say this because I know flying with others is more entertaining.

However, I'm less willing to put up a fight than I used to be, and more wiling to make a stooge so I wouldn't "need the club." If you fly un-aided at the other circle, you may actually garner a following of like-minded puny-engine fans. Then you can create a "little-block
and wings club" that scoffs at the big boys. They will get curious and watch, even if they won't want to admit it.

Whatever you do...don't let "them" keep you from enjoying your little hobby!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:57 pm

Your not alone with this. It's very common to find a lack of interest or participation with 1/2A. Mainly do to the idiosyncrasies associated with 1/2A engines. Most control line flyers cut their teeth on 1/2A's but realistically the best plane to learn on is a larger .35 sized profile. Most members don't want to be bothered with trying to get a 1/2A to start. The larger engines start easier. I on the other hand like yourself have always enjoyed the love of 1/2A's regardless of what they are. I go through this with my club but when they see my 1/2A's flying the way they do, they're just blown away and it attracts quite a crowd. It took a lot of asking but we finally had 3 1/2A days.

While I'm the kingpin of the club in regards to smaller engines, I've never been able to pick the date to do this so I gave up on it. They had it in the dead cold one year and if 1/2A isn't frustrating enough at times, try it in the cold. However, my persistence paid off a few years back when I feel as though I had finally broke the ice and Brodak had a 1/2A stunt event. I was asked many many questions about the event in regards to the rules and those in charge including myself put together the rules during a weekend of flying. Unfortunately, my job didn't allow me to attend Brodak's for the event. Many of my flying friends did. Sadly, the weather and flight gods didn't cooperate and the winds were unflyable for the later half of the contest.

It too bothered me when those would shrug at 1/2A's. I think you need to ignore them and just do it. If it's therapeutic for you as it is for me, by all means just do it. When you show them it works, it tends to attract those with interests.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Yeah,

I experience the same however, I have never been told I can’t fly. Like Ken said just do it.

You could also build something bigger and take it and fly that too.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotland421 Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Yabby, quite the screen name. LOL. Sadly the Murray River is so low compared tae 40 years ago.
Scotland421
Scotland421
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:33 pm

Yabby - tail with a head full of [bleep]. lol haha
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotland421 Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:38 pm

Bahahahaha! ripper!
Scotland421
Scotland421
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:19 am

Ken Cook wrote: Most members don't want to be bothered with trying to get a 1/2A to start. The larger engines start easier.

That's fair enough that THEY don't want to fly it, what I fail to comprehend is why would they want to keep others from doing it?

In my case I always get great, positive response from clubmates when flying 1/2A. People tend not to pay too much attention to me with my tiny models, until I start the engine. Then, invariably someone in the vicinity shouts "hey, is that a COX?", and then when they see me again they're like "when are you taking your COXes out?".
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:48 am

I do not fly CL but as an RC flier with COX powered models wonder why people think COX engines are finicky to start? A well primed reedie or TD will start instantly, at least in my experience.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:05 am

Exactly, the only time you can have a hard time trying to start a good, clean reedie is if you flood it. It is easier to flood a small engine than a big one, but you get a hang of in after a while.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:14 am

Because they have little understanding of them and everyone wants instant gratification. A Cox glow plug requires a good battery. Well, I see people using ni-cads with a under rated wire adapter. So now you have a 1.2 volt battery with too much resistance. Then because of the typical cheap control line flyer they are and they're using fuel  that's years old. I can't tell you how many times I see that. Then what do you do when it doesn't start? You flood it out even further right? That's when no one realizes the plug is loose but here's the problem, they don't have wrenches to tighten it.  Couple that with the glow plug which came with the engine when they purchased it from 1970. And then I hear them say, " It still glows". This is why they struggle. While I have many members in my club who own Cox engines, NOT ONE OF them has spare parts. Then the starters come out and they grind them into submission. It's actually quite comical. I watched one of our members totally ruin 2 .051 TD's and a Conquest .15 in one weekend.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:36 am

no exceptions muffler requirements?
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:42 am

Hea that suckies , are these two places you speak of close enough for them to hear you flying that Cox engine ? no club here behind the house ,down the road for R/C and across the road too also C/L of the Biggins can be done in her front yard LOL Fling with someone can bee fun ! If they hear ya they Will come . Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:08 pm

Hi,

I am in a city and some inner city parkland areas have been setup for flying. they are ringed by heavy traffic so noise is not so much of an issue. Although I always fly with a muffler. Basically I reckon the smaller the impact I can have on anyone the better and I still enjoy myself. I fly a lot on school ovals on weekends, but I never fly the same one twice in a row. There are about six school ovals I fly at and I rotate between them, so as that no one feels like their area has been invaded! :-)

I definitely wont fly at the club that wont have half-A, I dont want to spend my time with them, I wouldnt enjoy it anyway, goodness knows what other extreme rules they might have, and I just want to have fun flying my Cox planes. Where I will fly is 3 parkland allocation fields away from them, so they will know Im there. I have sometime ago built myself my own version of a dominator and have a 2.5cc OS for it, but I really dont have the urge to fly it. I like my Cox engines and planes and all that comes with them. :-) When I was a teen I used to fly my 049 planes and had a 2.5cc Taipan gold head bearing glow engine, schnurle ported with the tuned exhaust pipe out the rear facing exhaust port. I used that engine for years to fly my home build versions of Dominators and Warlords to fly combat with all the other local teens in the 70s. Great times! :-) So, I could join and fly as I have a 2.5cc OS and a Dominator i have built, but I havent even taken the OS out of the box. Lol.

And anyway, I can fly at the other field 7 days a week, but the one allocated to the club can only be used on Saturdays. They better not come over to MY field on the other days! lol! lol!

Things and stuff happen in life. Its not a big deal, and Im past the days of fighting or proving things to people, but I was interested in other peoples experiences and thank you all for you considered replies and encouragement to continue flying. Be sure, it wont stop myself and my intellectually disabled son from flying!! He can hand launch my planes, do the lines for me, fuel the planes up, and he flies them once I have them up and flying as I hand the handle over to him. We have a great time together! He loves it as much as me Smile And we will probably end up with some others seeing us and joining us over time, or like me, see a person flying a plane somewhere and going, you know I loved that, I should give it a go again, and maybe they will come out to where I fly, and with any luck, be someone who flys for the joy of all that goes with it, in all its forms, tech, science, physics, and the pseudo science we all make up HaHaHaHa. I am going to join the national modellers association as that provides me with insurance. I am not so worried about me being sued, but if someone somehow got hurt by my activity I would want them to be able to go to my insurance company to ensure they get looked after and that comes as part of the membership.

Bit of a long response, but I think it responded to everything everyone was kind enough to reply with. Oh, and I myself dont reckon they are harder to fly than bigger planes. Lol. Im not a very good pilot, but if you cant handle your plane coming back at you from the top of a wingover and either invert it or level it out with slack lines then your missing the fun of half-A lol! lol! Old Bugger

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotland421 Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:17 pm

Are ye near Albury?
Scotland421
Scotland421
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:23 pm

No, Im at the end where the Drain empties into the ocean :-) thanks anyway! Beer Cheers

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotland421 Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Adelaid.
Scotland421
Scotland421
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:12 pm

I too wouldn't let it bother me. I like your attitude to just go out elsewhere and have fun with your son! At least that will be great memories with him.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:09 pm

When I joined my club about six or seven years ago, there were not many 1/2A flyers showing up regularly.  They weren't anti-1/2A, but most thought 1/2A planes were just too much trouble.  I'd say that the .25-and-up planes showed up at a rate of maybe five or six to one.  Over the years it has shifted, and I'd say it's about equal now.  Today, I was the only person with 1/2A planes, but usually it's about equal, or sometimes the small models outnumber the larger models.  I have several larger planes, too.  I kinda bought into the "larger flies better" mantra, and built larger trainers.  But I found that I leave them home usually lately.  I just like building small models more.

This is what I took to the field today.

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs 20210610-115103

The Smaller Flies Funner Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:32 am

I know that things differ wildly over different areas, but with the state of the hobby the way it is, I'm STILL surprised that a club would turn away a new member because of the size of planes he flies.

I consider myself VERY lucky to be involved with the Breezy Hill Flyers, and their welcoming of the entire spectrum of Model Flying.

I really hope you're able to continue flying your great little planes!

Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:39 am

would it be possible that it is not by the size But because of the noise ?? Most 1 \ 2a sound very loud
With residences nearby The neighborhood would rather not hear a giant bee swarm for my part I use a silencer on everything that I can adapt it Car truck plane boats rc control the engine wit silencer somtime The cox motor remains the most affordable the most fun regardless of the model they are small This is what makes them desirable Like trying to put 6 size .30 nitro plane in a car is impossible with a cox plane ok bring me some more plane To run = a little more fun RC Plane lol! Very Happy
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi,

there is no doubt I will continue to fly my Cox planes!! Smile There is a great area in the parklands where anyone can fly and I will fly there and other places such as suburban sporting ovals when not in use. Its not a problem in that I cant fly, I was just a bit put out at the no little engines and planes bit. But I probably get to fly more often than those other dudes anyway. I always and always have flown with a muffler on my engines. I can see where they may be coming from tho given the experiences others have described, and the reputation they have for being hard to start. I think Ken described some of the reasons people might have a bad view of them, whilst he is a huge supporter of them, I think it was good that he described some of the issues people sometimes see from their perspective. My engines start very easily, reliably, and run great. I have plenty of spares on hand and have my own little engine mounting setup that makes swapping an engine on a plane a couple of minutes job, and I take a couple of really good ready to go engines with me, and if I have a problem I just quickly swap the engine over and im flying again. Laughing

Im much like Mark in that I like building smaller models. Building the models is not as big a part of the fun to me, but I know to others its a huge thing and I am amazed at their skills and ability to build planes that look and fly great. Big or small. I fly my planes right on the edge, so being able to build them quickly and cheaply matters to me. Lol. I smashed two planes to pieces yesterday, but man, did I have fun flying them!!!! :-)

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 pm

Yabby wrote:Hi,

have my own little engine mounting setup that makes swapping an engine on a plane a couple of minutes job, and I take a couple of really good ready to go engines with me, and if I have a problem I just quickly swap the engine over and im flying again. Laughing

Yabby

Yabby,
You tease us! Show us the goods!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:34 am

Our control line club is accepting of anything. I think we are all just happy to someone that just flies control line still. Pretty much all the guys have been flying for 40+ years. The RC club I fly at has a few guys that are against anything control line and even more don't think very much of smaller motors. Even a .40 is considered small to them. I seldom fly Cox stuff there because of the muffler rule and the requirement of shutting off the motor in an emergency. Control line is exempt from the shutoff but not the muffler. Myself, I like a .15 overall for flying in the wind and not using much fuel. Still can go 100 mph and cheap thrills. Still like the .049s except when they chase me inside the circle.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:10 am

My club is mostly RC, but anything that flies is acceptable. I had brought a Babe Bee that I had rebuilt to the field for some test runs and the other old fa*ts commented how nice it was to hear a COX engine running again. However, one of the younger members (40ish) said he had never heard a 1/2A engine run before and that it was certainly an irritating sound, then he packed up and left. Each to their own I suppose.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next