Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs - Page 2 Empty Re: Half-A experiences at CL Clubs

Post  aspeed Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:25 am

I was flying an Ace Simple 400 with a Norvel .06 at the RC club. It was fairly fast and was honking away. I ran it out of fuel fairly high and glided it down. One of the guys brought his wife and she commented that it was very nice when it glided down. I think she was trying to maybe say it was kind of irritating when it was running. I sort of have to agree though. I have found that the low frequency sounds travel farther than the higher pitches, like an elephant. I used to live a block from my club (Flying Dutchmen) and could hear the IMAC monster planes easily when they were climbing over the trees. The others I could never hear at all.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Half-A experiences at CL Clubs - Page 2 Empty Re: Half-A experiences at CL Clubs

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:44 am

One of our club members who I've never seen fly ANYTHING, apparently feels he's the keeper of the cheese when it comes to anything politically associated with the club. I haven't seen him in quite some time and really don't miss him either. He apparently woke up one morning and somehow discovered a pole was snapped off in his rear end. He was in a fast pace racing towards the control line circles with his arm fully extended holding a DB meter. It was said that if there was a chance of losing the field it was the control line guys who would seal the deal. Well, that wasn't the case. The annoying part of control line is the in and out resonance that takes place as the plane flies fore and aft. Even 1/2A's with their shrill are still not louder than the 3D planes that were present. Not only did the 3D planes run in excess of the required DB level they also carried a further distance. They were testing the distance of noise travel and found that the 1/2A's were almost undetectable at 300 yds whereas the 3D planes were hitting the DB meter pretty solid. One of our senior members said it best as he was yelling at him that it's a model airplane field and not a library. Our 1/2A's are exempt of the muffler rule and in reality a muffler cripples their performance. I find it somewhat comical though that while all of the officers are out to break everybody's stones, these are the same guys that fly open exhaust spark ignition engines. For anyone who hasn't had the experience of hearing one of those all I can suggest is ear protection.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:05 pm

Lol. I think ive started a bushfire! lol! never meant to do that. Its all fun. I get to fly heaps and one advantage for me is I can march to my own drum and dont have to wait for my turn etc. :-) The muffler does kill performance, but I have opened mine up a bit Shh cheers

Yes, higher freq should not travel as far as lower freq. shorter wave length vs longer wave length, of course power comes in as well. I think the problem is also what some call Psycho acoustics (it is a genuine research field). The high pitched engines annoy some more than a lower pitched engine. Its not actually how loud it is (power/volume). Also the flying in circles gives that repeating loud, quieter, type of effect (secondary frequency). Which when younger I used to love. I would hear it from my backyard and know people were flying down my local oval. Id grab my planes hope on my pushy and go fly with them!! cheers sunny

My fancy engine mount is not really fancy. Lol. I just have four metal threads glued into my planes and my engines are pre-mounted on a square piece of 3 ply that slides over the four metal threads and usually I only use two of them on a diagonal and its changed in no time. I find it simple to build. I have a pattern for the part with the metal threads glued in that is fixed to the plane and a pattern for the part the engine is mounted on, so I can make them the same all the time. I suspect there are much better ways to do it!! :-) and definitely ways that do not look as ugly as my method HaHa. I just sorta like making the stuff myself rather than buying pre made stuff, but that said, I dont make very classy stuff :-) I read the forum and past posts and find heaps of great ideas on this stuff that people with much more experience and knowledge have done and do. Beer Cheers I Love This Forum!

As I said, its all fun. maybe in spring I will go out to the field and introduce myself (without my planes) and just go talk to people and shake hands and it might go well from there. Nothing to lose.Thumbs Up

You have all encouraged me. Thanks for that! In spring if I go out there and meet people and end up joining Ill post and let you all know. Thumbs Up

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  iamplanecrazy2 Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:38 am

I would just go to the club field and fly! I'm betting in not time the negative opinions will shift to positive.
Might even inspire others to try 1/2 a.
Yabby, I'm with you on the sheet balsa combat models, they are virtually indestructible flying over grass. I like
the Cox PT19 rubber spinners. They do a great job of protecting the engine and the model.
iamplanecrazy2
iamplanecrazy2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:16 pm

Thanks Iamplanecrazy2,

I had seen the red rubber spinners on Matt and Bernies web sites and not really registered that they might help protect the engine and model! I will get a couple and give them a go. cheers Its actually reminded me that when I got my yellow and blue (I think) plastic cox PT something model when I was a kid, the motor with that had a red rubber spinner. And man, did that engine do some work!!! but even then, I never registered the spinner might have a purpose other than being red, because as we all know red is faster. lol!

Yes, come spring I will go out and talk to them. who knows!...... Flying

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2