Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Cox_ba12

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Today at 6:51 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Today at 6:09 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 12:40 am

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 12:39 am

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 12:33 am

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 12:20 am

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 10:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 8:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 8:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 5:01 am

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:46 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Empty
Live on Patrol

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble?

Go down

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Empty Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble?

Post  rgbolen Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:14 pm

Recently came across a P-51 at local flea market, trying to disassemble for a thorough cleaning but I only see 1 screw on the underside center section of the wing. It appears to me that the center section of the wing extends up into, for lack of a better term, underside of the chin below the engine. Once the center screw is removed, the underwing area is lose but the chin area seems like maybe it snaps together? I don't want to do any damage as I'd like to fly this critter once again! I remember there is a spike from the underside of the pilot/ seat area that keeps the bell crank in place but I've forgotten how the front area is kept together? Can anyone help please?!?!?!Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Img_0710
rgbolen
rgbolen
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Empty Re: Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble?

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:47 pm

Mine looked like yours when I got it. Fuel was hard on these.

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Testor47

Yes, remove that screw, it takes some careful maneuvering to separate the two half's, so be careful. It does snap together.   I also had to build a tail skid for it.  

I redid mine.  Had to drill the belly pan to secure it to the fuselage as it was quite misshapen. Didn't care, I would rather have the hardware showing than the big gaps between pan and fuselage.  

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? P1011243
Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? P1011242
Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? P1011244

Post pictures when you finish it.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Empty Re: Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble?

Post  rgbolen Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:32 pm

Thanks so much for the advice rsv1cox! I was able to gently pry the belly pan off of it and luckily didn't break anything. While wiping with rubbing alcohol I found that the chrome finish is coming off easily so I'll probably wind up doing much like you did with yours, looks great by the way! Somehow my tailwheel survived but the bubble canopy is toast so we'll probably carve out a wooden piece as a a mold and vacuform a clear canopy from that. Will post a few pics when done, thanks again!

rsv1cox wrote:Mine looked like yours when I got it. Fuel was hard on these.

Yes, remove that screw, it takes some careful maneuvering to separate the two half's, so be careful. It does snap together.   I also had to build a tail skid for it.  

I redid mine.  Had to drill the belly pan to secure it to the fuselage as it was quite misshapen. Didn't care, I would rather have the hardware showing than the big gaps between pan and fuselage.  

Post pictures when you finish it.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
rgbolen
rgbolen
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:58 pm

Here’s a nice looking Mustang in the ”correct” colour Very Happy

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:25 pm

Wow Kari, took a lot of 35% N to wash that one down.

And rgb, mines a wall hangar, resides next to big and little brothers. Didn't build either, flea market finds.

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? P1011248

I didn't attempt to fly the redo either, never fuel proofed it and I'm sure it would never stand up to it. Are you going to fly yours? They fly less better than their Cox cousins which is saying a lot.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rgbolen Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:56 pm

Rsv as a kid of the 1960's I had one of these P-51's, a Cox PT -19, a Wen-Mac Peashooter, a Curtiss Helldiver ( rare find these days) and a Cox Corsair, found a Corsair on ebay a few weeks back, original I crashed and destroyed on it's first flight when one of the older kids in the neighborhood put his hand in front of my face, never flew again, PT-19, flown countless times, P-51 flew several times and the Peashooter a few flights too. Some years back I sold my Helldiver for a ridiculously high sum on Ebay and have regretted it ever since.

Anyways, the intent is to fly the P-51 and Corsair a few times, clean them up and put them on the shelf in my toy room along with various other gas vehicle like the Hiller Flying Platform, tether cars and a few other things
rgbolen
rgbolen
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:10 am

The "older kid", I'm afraid I would have to had words with him.

The Wen-Mac Peashooter and Curtiss Helldiver, two that I would have loved to own.

I keep my collections in display cases, displayed too many times here I'm afraid.

Good luck in finding the Helldiver.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:38 am

Seen as the original finish was not done well and most have peeled makes me understand why mine was painted with who-knows-what! But I put mine in a bag of brake fluid and teh paint came off. Mostly yellow now with plans to actually try flying it. Then after that clean up well and paint hopefully half as nice as Bobs!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  DanMc Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:26 pm

If you want the shiny , chrome look again, there is all sorts of "chrome" paint out there now that might work pretty well. It would not be fuel proof, or at least as fuel proof as the original finish was!!
Type at you later,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
DanMc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:39 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Mine looked like yours when I got it. Fuel was hard on these.

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Testor47

Yes, remove that screw, it takes some careful maneuvering to separate the two half's, so be careful. It does snap together.  

I also had to build a tail skid for it.  

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Amazing, while pressure washing the garage floor the original tail wheel assembly showed up.

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? P1011351

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Tail_s10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble? Empty Testors P 51 Mustang, how to disassemble?

Post  rgbolen Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:10 am

tail wheel!

Outstanding find rsv! I pulled my P51 off of the shelf over the weekend to show a grandchild and the tailwheel just barely caught the edge of a pinball machine and went flying across the room, luckily, he saw where it landed tho!
rgbolen
rgbolen
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down