Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Today at 11:03 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 10:41 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 Empty Re: Cox Golden Bee .049 engine.

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:04 am

Ken Cook wrote:                   I found another Golden Bee last night. This is one that doesn't have the bold gold look to it. It has rather a very pale faded with a touch of pinkish tinge to it. I know some of these engines would fade. My example though looks great with no marks on the tank. I found many Black Widows and while internally are great, the exteriors have been abused.

Ken, the bottom Golden Bee pictured in your post above and described as : "The one with the mill finish case was purchased as a Golden Bee. I have two of these which are both Golden Bee engines."  I have looked all over for validation including Dannels/Sitter and can find no referance to a Golden Bee manufactured by Cox with a natural case and natural prop drive washer?  

But, there is this rather famous picture published on wikipedia's website.

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 Coxmod10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:01 am

Mauricio I am always amazed at how easy your engines start with No starter spring to assist , i find that on all your bees . I am thinking that is from first stat not warmed up Huh... Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 Empty Golden Bee colors

Post  jmendoza Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:25 am

The Golden Bees and all Cox engines that are colored vary quite a bit in the depth of color because they are anodized. The anodizing solution used to add the colors to aluminum gets progressively weaker with each batch of parts placed into the anodizing bath. Eventually, the solution gets to where it is exhausted and needs to be replaced. So the parts that were anodized right before the solution gets replaced will look faded compared to the ones that were anodized when the solution was new.

After 1980, I saw many weird variations of anodized parts being used by Cox to assemble Golden Bees and Black Widows. Apparently, they had run out of gold, and black crankcases, so they used clear anodized cases with either a gold or black tank. Conversely, they also used clear tanks with gold or black crankcases as well on some of the engines. This was because Cox was trying to use up all the odd inventory they had to meet orders. They were running on a very small budget and often could not afford to get a batch or parts anodized, so they used what they had on hand at the time. There were sporadic small batches of Golden Bees produced after 1980, , mainly to use up inventory, but they were not listed in the catalog.
jmendoza
jmendoza
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:58 am

jmendoza wrote:The Golden Bees and all Cox engines that are colored vary quite a bit in the depth of color because they are anodized.  The anodizing solution used to  add the colors to aluminum gets progressively weaker with each batch of parts placed into the anodizing bath. Eventually, the solution gets to where it is exhausted and needs to be replaced. So  the parts that were anodized right before the solution gets replaced will look faded compared to the ones that were anodized when the solution was new.

After 1980, I saw many weird variations of anodized parts being used by Cox to assemble Golden Bees and Black Widows. Apparently, they had run out of gold, and black crankcases, so they used clear anodized cases  with either a gold or black tank. Conversely, they also used clear tanks with gold or black crankcases as well on some of the engines. This was because Cox was trying to use up all the odd inventory they had to meet orders. They were running on a very small budget and often could not afford to get a batch or parts anodized, so they used what they had on hand at the time.  There were sporadic small batches of Golden Bees produced after 1980, , mainly to use up inventory, but they were not listed in the catalog.  

So, when you say "clear anodized cases" what does that mean?  It doesn't seem plausable that Cox would market Golden Bee engines as true Golden Bees that were a mix of various parts.  But I could see them sticking them in some of their powered models just to use them up.

To me a Golden Bee on the outside at least has a gold anodized case and tank with a black drive washer.

Edit add: Might have to modify that "black drive" statement. Scored this yesterday on ebay.

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 Bliste10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:04 pm

Bob, I also purchased the TD .051 and it came with a black carb body. In the box was a note saying they ran out of red carb bodies and were not certain when they would receive more. I still own that .051 and I even installed a black carb body on it again. I don't want to jinx it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:18 pm

Ken Cook wrote:               Bob, I also purchased the TD .051 and it came with a black carb body. In the box was a note saying they ran out of red carb bodies and were not certain when they would receive more. I still own that .051 and I even installed a black carb body on it again. I don't want to jinx it.
Prudence never hurts.
The Other Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:56 am

I bought that blister pack GB because it does not have a black prop drive plate and because it couldn't have been corrupted by a former owner. Of my other Golden Bees less than half have the black plate.

The other question, about natural cases and gold fuel tanks. I have two of those that I'm sure I didn't make up from parts, but maybe a former owner did. But, I think not. I believe they are factory probably sent without notes as to a change in assembly. I can see a note being included in the much more rare .051 though.

The lightly anodized Golden Bee (next to the white spinner) does have the black plate. Others (mixed case) pictured to the left do not. Little thing, but it bugs me that there is no mention anywhere of mixed case/fuel tanked Golden Bees.

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 P1012185

My single RR-1 does have a black drive plate.

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 P1012184

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:12 am

rsv1cox wrote:Little thing, but it bugs me that there is no mention anywhere of mixed case/fuel tanked Golden Bees.

If you scroll down here in the link below to the 'Golden Bee', there is mention of mixed tank and crankcases there. From MHAerotool website.

https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:16 am

So the link does not work as planned. You have to go to 'Bees' on the left side bar, then scroll down to find the Golden Bee. But I took a screenshot and will post it here. Shot was grabbed from MHAerotools website.

Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 Gb11
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:09 am

Thanks Chancey, found it. Copied it for my benefit too.

Bob

Golden Bee (0.8 cm³)

Manufactured in ca. 1962 (top), 1970 (center), 1972 (bottom) (#120)

This engine is basically a Babe Bee engine with cross flow vents in the enlarged tank. The larger tank made this engine attractive for R/C applications. The cylinders have one bypass port, a later version came with a throttle ring (#120-1) and had 2 bypass ports. Due to the longer tank, the Golden Bee has a slightly larger Venturi diameter (4.37 versus 3.57 mm) at the reed valve.

It was planned to manufacture the engine with a gold anodized tank and crankcase, but some runs of these engines have also been delivered with a black tank and others with a plain anodized crankcase and propeller drive plate (like the early sample shown on top). It depended on what parts were available, as anodizing was subcontracted and not done at Cox.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:54 pm

As I do not have teh Cox Engine Handbook, I use that website for much of my information. If one has the time, there is some really good reading. Just got to click all the links at the left side. It has all teh cars, planes, etc listed by date of manufacture or part numbers, etc.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:54 am

what beautiful information friends have poured here, it even generates nostalgia in the past times of Cox ... I imagine all that world of activity in the factory itself, in the airfields, anywhere in nature, enjoying the march of the flight of any of these engines.
That nostalgia for times past has awakened me and imagining moments, so I have decided to make a model for my Cox Golden Bee.
I am going to share with you the step by step of this model and I invite all those who want to build a model for Cox .049, they will be able to find here a model very suitable for flying and having fun. As soon as I have time I start this project. RC Plane
Cox Golden Bee .049 engine. - Page 2 20211110
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2