Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

It is still Christmas somewhere! Cox_ba12

It is still Christmas somewhere! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

It is still Christmas somewhere! Empty
Live on Patrol

It is still Christmas somewhere!

Go down

It is still Christmas somewhere! Empty It is still Christmas somewhere!

Post  944_Jim Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:47 pm

PINCH PINCH

I'm still pinching myself...and it still hurts. Therefore, I must be awake and not dreaming:
https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/22-kk-radian.html

This arrived on my doorstep. It IS the same plane the manufacturer used for their catalog (link above).

Several weeks ago I got an unusual request via PM on RCG.
I "met" the owner/builder, Mr. Matthew on RCG during his English replica kit build log a few years ago. I actually bought a CNC cut short kit (inspired by Mr. Matthew's build log in the RCG thread) from Mark Winstanley in Canada, while purchasing my Frog Mosquito clone kit.

The PM was really short and to the point...would I like to fly his model? Ummm, yes Sir! But aren't you in ENGLAND? A few more emails to iron out the details...and he shipped it a week ago. It got here a lot faster than I expected.

My instructions are simple...video record each flight as I dial in to best performance until re-kitted. Simple enough!

This is my first with flaps. Frankly, the build is just jaw-dropping. The plane is super light. It makes me think I build too heavy! While it has the same wingspan as my old Scientific P-40, this has to be carrying more square inches just because the wings are not as triangular as the P40 wings. The tank rides in a slide-in cartridge that allows for removal and servicing. The landing gear is spectacular, featuring hand-built wheels and also removable. The engine is lightly oiled, with no congealed castor stickiness. A quick check in the exhaust port shows SPI...and is that a groove at the base if the piston skirt? Blink Blink...Yup! .051! Mr. Matthew indicates this is a Tee Dee de-tuned with Medallion front-end parts.

CG is around 1" back from leading edge, leadouts come out just behind the CG, and the plane hangs just a bit nose down from the lead-outs.
In short, this will require very little fiddling...maybe just flush the tank with methanol, and go fly.

PINCH PINCH! Owe! Definitely not dreaming...

Thanks Mr. Matthew. I hope to do justice to your efforts.

It is still Christmas somewhere! Img_2079
It is still Christmas somewhere! Img_2080

Last edited by 944_Jim on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

It is still Christmas somewhere! Empty Re: It is still Christmas somewhere!

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:22 pm

Nice plane Jim, delicious enough for me to build.  Then I snapped back to reality.  

Let me get this straight......they shipped the plane intact from England to Mississippi without it being damaged..............

and.........what does this mean?

"My instructions are simple...video record each flight as I dial in to best performance until re-kitted. Simple enough!"

Oh yes......and how are the flaps connected?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:36 pm

Bob,

You are just as shocked and pleasantly surprised as I am! The box looked great too! It took right at two weeks to get here. I bet it cost a small fortune.

Those were his words...I take it to mean he wants exhilirating video with respectful yet ambitiious flying and tuning...and more flying, but not to be afraid to exceed limits. I will start carefully. I will video everything. I won't fly it as care-free (read that carelessly) as the P40.

Look below the rear corner of the canopy. There is an access port on both sides of the fuselage. It is just above the flap hinge, with the bellcrank pushrod pushing a control horn on the flap shaft, and from there out to the elevator control horn.
The build details are amazing! Check out the elevator pushrod fairing!It is still Christmas somewhere! Img_2081
It is still Christmas somewhere! Img_2083
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 am

NICE !! I am with Ya'll from England and got there intact !! nice looking plane and detail is great . That plane is going to Scream ! What line length you thinking Jim ? I would say 42' or more .. Well all I can say is Merry delated Christmas !! Snowman Snowing here feels like it LOL
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:39 am

He has got alot of nice models to build FF, RC , CL all kinds of categories Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:15 am

Eric,
I had to review the email traffic. Mr. Matthew indicated first test flights were on 30' lines by an experienced combat pilot. They both felt the line choice was a bit short. The pilot felt the CG was spot-on, yet respected the model too much to put it through it's paces.

I plan on starting at 35' and working up until it feels too light in Roundie-Roundie, and then coming back in a foot or two until fair line pull is exhibited. If it exhibits good line pull in wing-overs, then I'll move to flying over grass, and attempt inverted flying. Then from there, loops.
I suspect it will be around 38', which I still have in .008" 7-strand from the Scientific P-40...provided they handle a line-pull test with zero broken strands. I'll be quite pleased if it handles 42'. This plane deserves top-shelf lines...not just "whatever is in the spool."

Everything will be recorded...that was the main thrust of the deal.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:36 am

That sure is a looker you received there. Very nicely built and finished. Definately glad it made it over the pond in one piece.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:48 am

Look what I found looking for a video of this bird fling >> https://www.coxengineforum.com/t13198-kk-radian
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down