Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 Cox_ba12

Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 3:58 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

Prop Rod engine screws and restoration

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 Empty Re: Prop Rod engine screws and restoration

Post  bottomgun Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:13 pm

Made the serrations with a triangle edge fine metal file. 1/8 inches apart.
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 Empty Re: Prop Rod engine screws and restoration

Post  Marleysky Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:21 pm

rsv1cox wrote:So, I guess those Friskies Flyer decals on Rene's car are authentic originals not someone's add-ons?

Yes, they are originals, waterslide type. Some of it was scratched off in use, some in my cleaning. I might just leave them "as is" for a shelf queen. I'd like to try a duplicate Bottomgun's chrome duct tape snout on one for fun.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:23 pm

Folded the tape over onto the bottom and burnished to good to keep it from lifting in the future, although I don't think it's going to be a problem.
Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 20220454
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:18 pm

Polished out the hood piece and glued it on using a very thin film of 5 minute epoxy on both surfaces. Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 20220455
Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 20220456
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:51 pm

bottomgun wrote:Plastic styrene sheet and the metal tape used for repairing ducts. I cut it to 3/8 inches wide by 2 1/2 inches long just basing it on close up pics off the internet. Because it was thin, I glued three layers with model car glue to build it up
I have thicker strips in 1/4 inch wide but too narrow. I didn't want to to drive 27 miles to get wider ones.Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 20220452And the finished product:
Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 20220453
It's a lot shinier than the picture shows. Almost like chrome.

So your talking about something like aluminum duct tape cut to width and length and layered x 3?  Did you remove the backing first, it's pretty sticky?

Looks like you got the intervals perfect.  How did you press them in?  It's doubtful that I could do as nice a job.  

Took mine apart.  Not pretty in there.  Chuck - I imagine a 11 to 16 year old tried to repair the broken rear mounting posts with epoxy, didn't work.  I will probably replace with canopy cement.   Chuck probably had a lot of fun playing with this.  Good for him, what it was meant for, but now it's due for some rest.  Smile  

Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 P1013027
Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 P1013028
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:04 pm

I used three pieces of thin styrene plastic cut to 3/8" wide by 2 1/2" long and glued them together. The only reason I did it this way is because I didn't have thicker styrene that was 3/8" wide. I only had 1/4" that was thick enough ( about 3/32"), but it was not wide enough. I round-beveled the sides and front of the piece with a small sanding block. Using a close up pic of an original hood scoop ornament off the net, I counted 20 serrations, which made them about 1/8" apart. I used a jeweler's file to cut the lines. Did a follow up sanding with 800 grit, cleaned it with alcohol and then put an oversized strip of sticky- back metal tape over it. I burnished it down with my fingers and trimmed any excess. I used the edge of an old credit card to burnish it down into the cut lines. Got it done in the space of about 40 minutes. These were used only on the later prop rods with the plastic chassis pans for a few years before Cox redesigned it into the Shrike. That's quite a project you have. Did the rear posts break off right at the base?
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Sat May 07, 2022 9:09 pm

Got my number stickers from Callie Graphics today and put them on tonight. They turned out really good. Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 20220510
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 08, 2022 6:33 am

Looks great. Got your method. Build the base then the metal tape loose, then press it down. I might try it.

I got that $45 canopy, not worth it. Cloudy and a poor fit. It does have some flash which I will remove, some plastic polish and try again.

Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 P1013180
Prop Rod engine screws and restoration  - Page 4 P1013181
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Sun May 08, 2022 10:28 am

I have the same repro canopy on my example and had the same trouble with it as you can see in my pics. Tried using plastic polish by hand with only minimal improvement. Maybe a small buffing wheel and polishing compound on my dremel might work, but I have to be careful. My metal pan version was fortunate to have the original canopy with it in decent shape.
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4