Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Cox_ba12

Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Empty
Live on Patrol

Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Empty Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank.

Post  Woody Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:07 pm

I was so impressed by watching Kim's You Tube of him flying his little Q Tee model with a simple Cox motor without throttle.
Mine is now built from scratch with plans from Outer Zone.
It was necessary for me to build a small tank.
0.008" Tin Plate and 3mm copper tube was sourced from my model shop.
The tank build took only an hour to make.
It need to look nice and part of the model.
It was to be mounted on the exterior of the model to avoid a fuel soaked interior.
Rather than bend corners several times to form a square tank , I thought a vintage looking one would look nicer.
A rectangle was cut from the tin plate with old scissors.
The whole top, bottom and sides were made from this piece using a piece of wooden dowel to form it around. There is not a crease or fold in it...just two half circle curves top and bottom
I have some build pics if any one is interested.
The formed piece was then soldered together using lead/tin mix multi core solder and Bakers soldering fluid for flux.
Two holes were then drilled top and bottom for the feed and vents.
Do not use a 3mm drill as you will rip and distort the metal.
Drill a 2mm hole and enlarge it with a round rat tail.
A portion of metal was filed out on the end of each tube so as to allow fuel and air flow.
Tubes then soldered in place.
Now for the clever bit.
Rather than spending ages cutting and filing the two ends to shape and then soldering them, one end was just a piece of rectangular tin plate flat on the bench with the tank held on it and  then soldered all around.
After completion of the soldering,  the feed tube was inserted after of course drilling the hole.
Quick inspection to make sure no filings or bits of metal inside and then solder the other end.
Finally the remaining metal on each end was cut off with scissors and then filed leaving a 1mm ledge all around.
Voila!  Une fuel tank!!!!Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2013
Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2012
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Empty Re: Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank.

Post  Kim Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:38 pm

WOW...JUST WOW!!!!!!

Excellent build that just screams "Vintage Cool"!!!!!

Great job, and yet ANOTHER Q-Tee takes to the sky!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Empty Re: Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank.

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:19 pm

That fuel tank is absolutely beautiful.  Held on by doubly sticky foam tape?  I have used it.  Helps reduce foaming from vibration.  

Love your plane. Shows attention to detail, but that castor thrower (Kim hold the rights to "slinger") may still dirty your planes interior unless some windshields are added.  

Good luck with it, would love to see it in the air.  Any yes, some pictures of the fuel tank under construction would be appreciated.  

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:18 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

Love your plane. Shows attention to detail, but that castor thrower (Kim hold the rights to "slinger") may still dirty your planes interior unless some windshields are added.  

Bob

I never enforce the copyright!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:28 pm

Wow. Both a beautiful plane and fuel tank. Great Job. The tank design is something I really like, and also, I like how you mounted it on teh outside of teh airframe. Very ingenius. Great thoughts.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:06 pm

Thanks for all your nice comments.
I have just spent some time writing a more detailed blurb on the tank build with some pictures ( six).
I have sent them but God knows where they have gone.
Bob ( Moderator??) if you come across them, would you be so kind as to put them in the right place?
Many thanks
Woody.
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:11 am

Wow, this is what I call a neat build, down to the smallest details...it sure takes a lot of craft and patience (neither of those I have enough). I wish my builds looked half as beautiful as yours.. Very Happy

I guess you have applied some protective coating on the uncovered engine bulkhead to prevent castor from ingressing?

We are looking forward to your video on a maiden flight...

Congratulations!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:56 am

balogh wrote:Wow, this is what I call a neat build, down to the smallest details...it sure takes a lot of craft and patience (neither of those I have enough). I wish my builds looked half as beautiful as yours.. Very Happy

I guess you have applied some protective coating on the uncovered engine bulkhead to prevent castor from ingressing?

We are looking forward to your video on a maiden flight...

Congratulations!
Thank you for your kind comments.
There remain just a few refinements like Maltese Crosses and a Windshield which I am working on.
I will post another picture of the finished product.
I do not possess a go pro for flights but I do have a mobius 3 video camera which I shall mount on board a la Kim's methods.
Yes the firewall has six coats of varnish.
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:01 am

Kim wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:

Bob

I never enforce the copyright!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Smile Smile Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:03 am

Woody wrote:Thanks for all your nice comments.
I have just spent some time writing a more detailed blurb on the tank build with some pictures ( six).
I have sent them but God knows where they have gone.
Bob ( Moderator??) if you come across them, would you be so kind as to put them in the right place?
Many thanks
Woody.

Not a moderator, I'm just a guy that hangs around and steps in it every now and then. If I come across your photos I will ensure they are published.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:58 am

WOW is right that plane Looks great and the tank takes pride out to admire it on the fuse , If it flies as good as it looks you will bee one proud boy ! Yes videos if possible , Thanks Small Cox Logo Very Happy Small Cox Logo RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:36 am

Great build!!  Your tank construction technique has eliminated the major obstacles of DIY tanks, particularly the end caps.  Very impressive.

Waiting for the pics to show up. Huh...
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Empty Fuel tank build pictures.

Post  Woody Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:08 pm

Thank you all.
I will have another go at posting the pics.
Woody.Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2034
Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2033
Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2032
Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2037
Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2036
Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2035

Last edited by Woody on Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : inclusion of images)
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:35 pm

Woody wrote:I was so impressed by watching Kim's You Tube of him flying his little Q Tee model with a simple Cox motor without throttle.
Difference in speed between power on and power off glide under reedie power is only slight, so throttle is not necessary for fun. Q-Tee's forte is its wing area, I've even successfully flown Q-Tee at 6,500 ft. (1,981 m) elevation on Golden Bee power.

Woody wrote:Voila! Une fuel tank!!!!
Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2012
Nice, you can tell a control line flyer by his tank installation! lol!

Excellent tank construction work, by the way. Popcorn cheers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:55 am

okay Its finished.
I have made the windscreen and also a hatch to cover the radio etc.
The hatch is pinned at one end and a sprung loaded catch from a biro spring and scraps of 1/16" plywood at the other.
I was very surprised at its weight !!!!!!
Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2038
Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2039

Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2041Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Img_2042
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:08 am

Beautiful Work!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:19 am

Kim wrote:Beautiful Work!!!
Thanks Kim.
I have been looking through the forum on other people's work and by heck there are some good modellers on board here.
I am getting sorely tempted to make a 1/2 A control liner.
I really like " Coxy"..
Thing is I am a lone star and nobody to launch it.
I will post a thread asking about self launching systems.
My field is a bit rough so I need to peg down some sort of portable take off mat?
Since you hooked me on this!!! ( Thanks) ...I have now got three Cox engines!!!!
Love it.
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:38 am

Um... I think I'm missing something here. The Q Tee is an R/C plane, right? That looks like a (brilliantly constructed) Control line tank to me. I mean, I don't expect the Q Tee to be doing much inverted flying, but is that tank going to do the job? Just thinking out loud.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:40 am

Woody wrote:
Kim wrote:Beautiful Work!!!
Thanks Kim.
I have been looking through the forum on other people's work and by heck there are some good modellers on board here.
I am getting sorely tempted to make a 1/2 A control liner.

Since you hooked me on this!!! ( Thanks) ...I have now got three Cox engines!!!!
Love it.

"The Force is Strong with This One!!!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Darth Kim

Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Darth_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:48 am

Kim wrote:
Woody wrote:Since you hooked me on this!!! ( Thanks) ...I have now got three Cox engines!!!! Love it.
"The Force is Strong with This One!!!" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Darth Kim
Q Tee 2ch RC sport model with Cox 049 and home brew tank. Darth_10

Buy he has, build he must!

Where is Master @Ian1954 Yoda?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:24 am

Very good built, excellent craftsmanship Very Happy

Be sure to flush fuel tank with alcohol to clean flux residue. Engine mount is fuelproofed? Small Cox Logo Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:29 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:Very good built, excellent craftsmanship Very Happy

Be sure to flush fuel tank with alcohol to clean flux residue. Engine mount is fuelproofed? Small Cox Logo Very Happy

Thank you for reminding me. I will do that.
I left the engine mount unfuel proofed as I did nt think it would matter if it gets fuel soaked?
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:35 pm

Woody wrote:

I left the engine mount unfuel proofed as I did nt think it would matter if it gets fuel soaked?

It is good to fuelproof bare wood with alcohol thinned 24 hr epoxy or what kind of fuelproofer you favor. Otherwise wood defects within time, especially plywood.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Woody Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:52 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:
Woody wrote:

It is good to fuelproof bare wood with alcohol thinned 24 hr epoxy or what kind of fuelproofer you favor. Otherwise wood defects within time, especially plywood.

Brilliant...
I have 24 hr Araldite epoxy.
so I thin this with alcohol?...Methelated spirit?
Thats an excellent tip.
I thank you for this.
Always something to learn.
Woody
Woody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:16 pm

Woody wrote:
Levent Suberk wrote:
Woody wrote:

Brilliant...
I have 24 hr Araldite epoxy.
so I thin this with alcohol?...Methelated spirit?
Thats an excellent tip.
I thank you for this.
Always something to learn.

I thin 24 hr epoxy with ethyl alcohol, but a little alcohol must be used, otherwise it will be rubbery. I brush the thinned epoxy on wood. Brush marks can be invisible with a heat gun, but no need too much heat because too much heat can deform covering film.

I didn't try methylated spirits, rubbing alcohol but I think that it can be used, because alcohol is alcohol when we speak for thinning a chemical. Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next