Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Sentral Illinois Radio Society "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration" Still MORE Fun!!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Sentral Illinois Radio Society "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration" Still MORE Fun!!!!

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:21 am

Kim wrote:Yes, John and his wife brought the Bi-Slob and an older Ringmaster that did not get flown.  He was REAL happy to see Leo put his Bi-Slob through its paces!![/b]
Neat! Too bad circumstances didn't permit me to come visit all you folks out there with my stuff!  Sad

Hijacked
Is it possible Huh... for say, a Cox Babe Bee or Sure Start and say, a Sterling Beginners Ringmaster Bipe or Scientific Little Bipe to do Bi-Slob type maneuvers? Smile
I guess one would need an exhaust throttle ring or choke tube intake throttle, to make it work. Doh! Old Bugger Tired w/ Coffee Read sunny lol!
Back To Topic

But, it would be neat to see a Cox powered airplane doing similar stuff, don't you think? Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Sentral Illinois Radio Society "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration" Still MORE Fun!!!!

Post  Kim Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:11 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Kim wrote:Yes, John and his wife brought the Bi-Slob and an older Ringmaster that did not get flown.  He was REAL happy to see Leo put his Bi-Slob through its paces!![/b]
Neat! Too bad circumstances didn't permit me to come visit all you folks out there with my stuff!  Sad

Hijacked
Is it possible Huh... for say, a Cox Babe Bee or Sure Start and say, a Sterling Beginners Ringmaster Bipe or Scientific Little Bipe to do Bi-Slob type maneuvers? Smile
I guess one would need an exhaust throttle ring or choke tube intake throttle, to make it work. Doh! Old Bugger Tired w/ Coffee Read sunny lol!
Back To Topic

But, it would be neat to see a Cox powered airplane doing similar stuff, don't you think? Very Happy

I would have to think it could be made to work. The Bi-Slob takes advantage of the Fox's 2-4 break, but an .049 ought to be able to get tuned to the needed power level.

There ARE some 1/2A Bi-Slobs out there, but I haven't seen one hover yet.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:47 pm

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:17 pm

The only downside I see with the "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration" is that most of the flyers, like me, are also vintage. We have been unsuccessful in attracting any youngsters to our club and our membership is literally dying out.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:28 pm

Kim wrote:More From Sunday-Funday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOdzXnaFbYM

Namesake.

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! - Page 2 Md_210

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! - Page 2 Mud_da10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:01 pm

andrew wrote:The only downside I see with the "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration" is that most of the flyers, like me, are also vintage.  We have been unsuccessful in attracting any youngsters to our club and our membership is literally dying out.
Unfortunately, many youth these days do not value model aircraft as we did when we were growing up.  Then, aviation didn't have as many restrictions, costs were not as bad as they are now, and it was still the new horizon of fun.

Nowadays they have cellphones, computers, video games, TV and etc. It is not only the "vintage" fly-offs that have been affected, but all flight modeling in general, except for quad-copters with their smart electronics.

As far as us being vintage, I guess with the best of us when it is time come, they can take that person, stuff him, and put him on display in the AMA Museum. Laughing
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:13 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
andrew wrote:The only downside I see with the "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration" is that most of the flyers, like me, are also vintage.  We have been unsuccessful in attracting any youngsters to our club and our membership is literally dying out.
Unfortunately, many youth these days do not value model aircraft as we did when we were growing up.  Then, aviation didn't have as many restrictions, costs were not as bad as they are now, and it was still the new horizon of fun.

Nowadays they have cellphones, computers, video games, TV and etc. It is not only the "vintage" fly-offs that have been affected, but all flight modeling in general, except for quad-copters with their smart electronics.

As far as us being vintage, I guess with the best of us when it is time come, they can take that person, stuff him, and put him on display in the AMA Museum. Laughing

"and it was still the new horizon of fun"...True That!

Over the past couple of years, we've had two younger potential pilots spend some time with the Flyers.  I really got the feeling that it was the parents' idea and urging for their youngsters to take up the hobby.  One seemed irritated that he had to bother to keep watching the airplane as he flew it, and had very little interest in participating in the meetings when his dad brought him.

In my mind, I was, of course, thinking, "Man!  If I just had that great stuff when I was 13, I would have passed out."  But these kids aren't me, and are not spending hours imagining a plane's flight as its pieces get glued together on an old vanity table.

Our President summed it up when we were talking about the Buddy Box Training we've offered, "When they find out that they're not gonna be able to instantly fly like a long term R/C pilot, and that there is an actually learning curve and technique to build, this stuff gets old pretty quick."

Most of my old magazines from the 1960's talk about "the youth problem", and how new flyers could be recruited...but I don't think you can talk someone into having a passion.  All we can do is be public about our fun, and leave a door open for the few who might want to make a go of it.

I'm no longer an Evangelist of R/C or Control Line Flight, but would still take some time with a novice if I thought the might have "The Fire".

As far as us being vintage, I guess with the best of us when it is time come, they can take that person, stuff him, and put him on display in the AMA Museum.

Of course, by the time that happens, the AMA Museum and all its trappings will probably have been taken over by pigeons... Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:19 pm

BOB!!!
THANK YOU FOR THE COOL MUD DABBER PHOTO!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:29 pm

Kim wrote:BOB!!!
THANK YOU FOR THE COOL MUD DABBER PHOTO!!!!

Color match Kim. Color match!

Smile Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:07 am

I'm a huge Bi-slob fan. The Bi-Slob ARF shown is generally heavier than the kit built version which makes it hang much easier. The excessive engine offset, plane weight,and lighter pitch prop is what allows this to happen. One must use caution because if it gets light on the lines and comes in and then flies out, the bellcrank rips directly through the side of the fuselage. In addition, if vertical and the engine hiccups, it comes down onto the tail obliterating the tail surfaces.

The Philly Fliers had quite a following at Brodak's for several years. We would put on quite a show with them. My friend is a former 911 firefighter who sustained serious leg injuries on that day would fly with us. He never recovered and today he's not doing well. We would get him up for a few circles and then someone would go out and relieve him as he couldn't spin around for more than 10 circles. He would fly eights in front of himself.

One thing we would do with any of our sport planes was to tie a third line to the tail. You would fly normally with the handle in your hand and the third line was in your opposing hand. We would fly high and dive to gain speed and then pull the tail into the circle with the third line. This stalls the plane and makes it hang. https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/videos/prop-hanging-with-a-ringmaster-and-a-fox-35/855087704561365
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:41 am

A video from SIRS member, Tony, of some control line action during the SIRS' Vintage Model Aircraft Celebration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH43rfOOz6E
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:54 am

That was interesting Fast , Slow , Slower and Twins fling Cool stuff and sounds like everyone was happy ! Very Happy Popcorn Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:02 pm

getback wrote:That was interesting Fast , Slow , Slower and Twins fling Cool stuff and sounds like everyone was happy ! Very Happy Popcorn Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Yeah, we had us a time!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:35 am

yep, that was really cool Kim. thanks for posting!! cheers Sometimes when I watch people fly control line like that Im glad I fly on my own and dont have people at a clu8b watching lol! they are just so good at it, its amazing! sunny cheers This Bi Slob thingo is something completely new to me. Never heard of it or seen it before. I couldnt believe that bipe just hovering!!! Im going to have to read and google some and read up about it. Dont expect to be able to do it, but its really interesting as to how people go about it. Old Bugger sunny Clapping

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:32 am

Thanks Yabby!

Yeah, I was pretty late to the game as far as knowing about the Bi-Slob.  I'd heard about early control line pioneer, Jim Walker, hovering a control liner down to pop balloons with a pin on the tail of a plane, but had never seen it before 2010 or so.

It was hilarious to watch Dan Berry to get REAL CASUAL while flying his Bi-Slob at S.M.A.L.L. 2017 Shocked Shocked Shocked !  He looked like all he needed was a cup of coffee and newspaper to read while hovering his plane!

Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! - Page 2 4_310
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! - Page 2 4_514
Sentral Illinois Radio Society  "Vintage Model Aviation Celebration"  Still MORE Fun!!!! - Page 2 4_411

Our Breezy Hill member, Leo, is very talented with his Bi-Slob, and the one he's flying in the video belongs to John Cralley.  He did some tuning with the Fox to get it at just the right setting to hover.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2