Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity? Cox_ba12

Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 11:51 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity? Empty
Live on Patrol

Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity?

Go down

Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity? Empty Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity?

Post  SuperDave Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:27 am

Not in my mind it is. I've always enjoyed the associations it has afforded me with others.

Why is it that people "lurk" rather than participate?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity? Empty Re: Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity?

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:52 am

SD,

Folks "lurk" for many reasons I assume. Some just want to learn and don't want to ask what they think are stupid questions. Some just like to read about going's on. I bet that most new members "lurk" just to get a feel for the forum before they post. The reasons could be just about anything I reckon.

I don't think modeling is a solo event, quite evident here as we have lot's of members with lot's of input.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity? Empty Re: Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity?

Post  SuperDave Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:07 am

Ron:

And it is no less true that the "recent unpleasantness" was caused by a person who jumped right in without gauging the forum's tenor in advance "rocking the boat" considerably.

"Lurkers", lurk away. Ron's explantion makes perfect sense. Thanks, Ron.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:29 am

Other than the forums, which I'm really glad I have, modeling is solo for me. Unfortunately since I started at about 10 years old, I've never had a friend to share my modeling with. I've always had friends as well as a best friend, but never could get them into the sport. I could occasionally get a friend or family member help me launch, and watch my antics, but never one who could challenge me to advance my skills. That is probably the reason for what I consider my retarded learning curve. I even hold the handle of my control lines wrong, and I'm afraid to try and retrain my muscle memory to hold it correctly now. I suppose it doesn't matter, but I think my way takes some unnecessary extra coordination while doing the stunts and aerobatics I love to show off.

Usually the only way I can show anyone what I can do is through my stationary video camera. When my son comes to visit a few times a year, we go out and fly. He can keep one in the air pretty well, but that's about it. He has a busy life with his own pursuits.

I do prefer to be alone in my shop while I work on engines and build models. I have to have quiet in order to think about what I'm doing or I'll get confused and miss a step. I do that by myself anyway. It's therapeutic for me.

Many people are wary of participating on forums because the anonymity works both ways. Anonymous hackers are always a threat and I've had a couple of scares that made me wish I hadn't let on to so much information about myself. Trusting natured people are at the greatest risk of being abused my malevolent posers. I suppose that explains the large number of those that quietly lurk and never participate. But my love of writing overpowers my fear of all that.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 am

Rusty:

Over the couse of time I've had the pleasure of serval modeling friends and we learned together often from each others mistakes as well as successes. As I've aged some of those pals have now departed but I have become the benficiary of a lot of their gear; sort of a bitter/sweet trade-off. Most of my Cox engines came to me via this route.

I find the forum a wonderful vehicle to make new modeling associations which wouln't be possible if I went on by myself. It is interesting to learn from those located around the world in our modeling "community" of kindred souls.

I have also recently become affiliated with a local RC club where I enjoy the interacttion at it's flying field which is located about five miles from my home. My principle problem in flying is now my limited vision caused by a stroke in '03. My favorite plane is an EP Hobbico Super-Cub 4 channel which is, as you would expect, Cub Yellow. Yet I am more comfortable with a "spotter" when I am in the air. I also have a Park Flyers EP P-51 but it isn't as "forgiving" as the "Cubbie".

I like new things and new ideas so my life is full of activities as the years roll by.

Regards,
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 pm

If you are talking about people lurking on this forum, I really don't mind it. I would like it if they see an opportunity to respond or make a post to do so, but if they are here just to read some interesting information, that is fine with me.

I have a few friends who are hardcore modelers and a few others who are slightly into it. I have flown the planes before, both CL and RC and have controlled RC cars. I have mostly been playing with the engines though and just about everyone likes to play with engines (at least they should!)

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:15 pm

A solitary acitvity?

Working in the shop on my stuff??
Yes and no, I can't get nothing done with someone hovering right in there and questions being asked. Sitting there quietly a few feet away and asking a question once in awhile is fine, but no badgering as I wield the sharp Exacto.

Flying with the Club on fly days?
Sure,,the more the merrier!. On the ground or in the air works great for me.

Lurkers?
Let them lurk. If they get truly interested and like what they see, they will join into the discussions reguardless, because model flight and engines are in unto themself interesting for most. The only dumb question is the one not asked.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:23 pm

SuperDave wrote:Rusty:

Over the couse of time I've had the pleasure of serval modeling friends and we learned together often from each others mistakes as well as successes. As I've aged some of those pals have now departed but I have become the benficiary of a lot of their gear; sort of a bitter/sweet trade-off. Most of my Cox engines came to me via this route.

I find the forum a wonderful vehicle to make new modeling associations which wouln't be possible if I went on by myself. It is interesting to learn from those located around the world in our modeling "community" of kindred souls.

I have also recently become affiliated with a local RC club where I enjoy the interacttion at it's flying field which is located about five miles from my home. My principle problem in flying is now my limited vision caused by a stroke in '03. My favorite plane is an EP Hobbico Super-Cub 4 channel which is, as you would expect, Cub Yellow. Yet I am more comfortable with a "spotter" when I am in the air. I also have a Park Flyers EP P-51 but it isn't as "forgiving" as the "Cubbie".

I like new things and new ideas so my life is full of activities as the years roll by.

Regards,

Dave
One of the things I've done with our club trainer is to put strips of dayglo orange and fluro pink on the leading edges and
the underside of the stab. It's quite something the way that it stands out in the air now, so much so my lekky 3d/pattern pratice
hack now has similar and boy it's a LOT easier to see.
J
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:42 pm

John:

Yes I would imagine the stripes would enhance a plane's visibilty and for that reason I added "invasion stripes' to my P-51. The "Cubbie" stands out well without them.

The two planes represent quite contrast in the air the "Cubbie" the docile of the pair. The P-51 has a four blade prop which creates a lot of thrust as well as aerobatic potential. I'm spending lots of time on my Real Flite 5.5 flight sim using the P-51 mode and I've yet to "max out" it's flight capabilities.

Over the years sims have saved me a lot $$$$$ in crashed aircraft!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:07 pm

If I were court-ordered to become an introvert I'd be Sad Sad Sad.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:22 pm

SuperDave wrote:Not in my mind it is. I've always enjoyed the associations it has afforded me with others.

Why is it that people "lurk" rather than participate?

In my "Previous aeromodelling life" back in the "Golden Age" of model planes, (the 50s & 60s), every town had its model plane club, first thing I did when I got interested was join my local club, and I had about 15 years of great comradeship, help and encouragement from my fellow members. Unfortunately now, having come back into modelling after an almost 40 year gap, I live in a fairly remote rural area, no problems with flying space or neighbours complaining about noise, but I am now a complete lone wolf, my nearest club is quite a distance away, and totally R/C anyway.
I would MUCH rather fly with like minded friends, it's not half the fun alone!

In my opinion, most people "lurk" around forums either because they don't feel they can contribute, or that anything they may post would be of no interest to others, or are worried that, if they are beginners, other members would find their lack of knowledge laughable. WE all know this isn't true, we were all beginners once, and today's novices are the people to keep this hobby alive in the future.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity? Empty Is modeling best enjoyed as a solatary activity?

Post  MMT Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Just had to post on this subject. 1.Hope I wasn't the "lurker" that "rocked the boat". Didn't look much before I leaped, just knew I had a RTF plane and nothing else. This was the first place I found so I jumped in. Glad I did. Found some good people here. 2. Found the post from "RKNRUSTY" interesting. Kinda the way I feel, long time gone and not real sure how to get back into the hobby. So I take shots. The RTF's are all I fooled with as a kid so I thought that would be a good place to start. Some of the first replys got I were
"flyng rocks"(no kidding), "why bother"(because),"can't be done"(can to). I wondered what
I had gotten my self into. 3. Be as kind to the "lurkers" as you can people. You maybe the
only way into this hobby thay can find. I know you have helped me a lot and hope you will continue. 4. Now as to the topic:"solatary activity". For some of us, it's all we have. No modeling clubs, events, desent hobby shop,no air parks,etc. I am pretty sure that my first attempt to fly my RTF's will be in my business's parking lot. lol
MMT
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:44 pm

MMT:

The "boat rocker" I mentioned was engine049 not you.

You have been an active poster and it's no problem to help you even if if it means bringing into the modern realities of modeling. Things simply aren't what they were in "the good old days" and most of us think that's GOOD not bad. Just THINK of the advancements! Life is best lived looking forward rather than backward, IMO.

BTW, if you would post your location in your profile perhaps we could help you find other modelers in your area. (Notice MY location posted to the left?)
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Most of my building and tinkering is done alone, but I like the socializing at the field and LHS. The LHS is a gathering place for several of us and the owner (an old codger like me) has coffee and donuts on Saturdays. The younger crowd is heavily into cars and ARFs, but a number of the older guys are builders, mostly scratch with a few kits thrown in. The owner always has a scratch build underway -- some large scale endeavor and we discuss plans, problems and solutions. My flying buddy works at the same place I do and we usually fly together after work. I fly helis at my house, but we need the field for our fixed wing stuff.

I build alone, but really like flying with others --- so it goes both ways.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:21 pm

"Things simply aren't what they were in "the good old days" and most of us think that's GOOD not bad. Just THINK of the advancements!"

Afraid I have to disagree there, Dave, just look what has been lost, real, genuine Model shops are as scarce as hen's teeth these days, they used to be a social centre as well as supplying all that you needed. I'm aware that the situation in the US isn't as dire yet as it is here, but now, in general, if it aint radio you may as well forget it!
And how many manufacturers who had been in business for more than 50 years, employing thousands of people, have gone to the wall? The hobby today is a shadow of it's former self.
The Great God Radio Control, and his acolyte Ready-to-Fly, have destroyed the hobby I knew and loved, all you need today is enough money, no skill or experience required.
Sorry if I sound bitter, it's because I am!

Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Wilf:

There a LOTS of things that have changed both for the good and for the bad. The thing sadly missining it today's modeling is the SERVICE once found at the LHS which has been driven out by on-line competition but, on the bright side have arisen forums such as CECF to fill the void.

On-line sources offer a far greater selection that could ever be afforded by a LHS and very often a better prices. The convienence of shopping by mail is another draw. For those of us with considerable modeling experience and know what we want the choice is obvious.

But lo the poor beginner who doesn't know a servo from a Li-po. He's the one that suffers as well as the health of the modeling hobby. Modeling is a tough sell anyway with the electronic revolution ever-expanding and drawing the $$$$ of the younger set who HAVE to have the latest I-pod, etc..

So it is indeed a "mixed bag".
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  MMT Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks for your post Ivanhoe. You said what I tryed to. SuperDave is right about one thing, you can't go back in time. As for me I have never wanted to. That being said, I do miss the LHS. I am not into online shopping (these RTF's were my first). I want to touch it, feel it ,smell it. Can't do that online + have found a lot of "bad people" online. The reason I keep my "footprint" very lite on the net. Another thing, about people who "throw money" at a hobby. Guess theres nothing wrong with it, but whats the fun in that? I have to know what makes it go pop, bang, whiz. I think meny of my interest over the years have been "hi-jacked" by people with money. Guess theres nothing wrong with paying $150,000 for a '70 Cuda for "bragging rights" that you did nothing to except put the key in the switch. Just not my style.
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:30 am

OK MMT, I understand but I've not had any problems shopping on-line.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum