Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up Cox_ba12

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up

Go down

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up Empty Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:39 am

Not a rebuild, no new parts.  Even saving the gasket, when you do hundreds of these you look for economies.  Reused 91% alcohol too, until final clean.

Piston has issues, but it's going back in, reed too.  Both very functional.  Dumping the spring starter.  Not a fan!!!

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014381
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014396

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014382
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014383
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014386
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014385
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014384

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014388
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014389
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014391
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014390
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014392
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014394
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014393

Looks like I will have to replace the reed after all, common pin ensures the fuel intake is open.  Cylinder unscrewed with the glow head, not a bad thing, I do not like sticking anything in those exhaust ports. Glow plug checks good. No need to remove irt.

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014395
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up Empty Re: Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up

Post  rdw777 Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:04 am

Nice!! A kid down the road had one of these when we were about twelve…. His dad had experience and could really fly the thing…. He did many times to the entertainment of the neighborhood kids…. It caught on fire once will he was trying to start it…. He just blew it out and kept on going…. Neat memories Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up Empty Re: Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up

Post  balogh Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:31 pm

Glad to see Bob, that another of these small marvels is getting into caring hands and a good home.

I added silicone tube with a small washer to the black seal on the needle valve. The tube tension acts like a spring and keeps the NV in place during engine run..

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up 16664610

For me, the red postage backplate reedie is one of the loveliest COX engines. My very first encounter with COX about 48 years ago.

It pulls my Quickie100 with unprecedented speed. The thin wall cylinders of the first series had tapered cylinder bore.

My next project, a new Lil Roughneck will be built around my red postage backplate reedies, all queing up here.

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up 20221014

Last edited by balogh on Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:07 pm

Thanks Andras.  Sterling, I love their kits, although they have their detractors.  

Yes, I checked the bore on the Postage Stamp, dual ports and in good shape.  Bores like this need very little cleaning, a terry cloth or microfiber towel through the bore saturated with a light oil and that's it.

Yes, we have to preserve these, when Armageddon arrives the Zombies will wear then around their necks as Pendants.  Smile  (I have children and grandchildren)  Smile

Picture over-load maybe and some over-kill, but it's better than spraying them with WD-40 and tossing them in a drawer. Two I missed, cheap me, and cold in the detached garage this morning.

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014397
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014398
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:09 pm

Yup, your tried and true method works every time; Berryman Chem-Dip, Simple Green Scrub, 91% Alcohol rinse/clean. Air dry and Remoil.
I think if you look again at the Glowhead it looks like it might be a "W" element head,as it has the extra ring around the top:
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up Scree213
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:15 pm

Thanks Rene, you sent me running down to the workshop.  Got out the flash light, and yes........it is a "W" element.  I don't use this emoticon enough - I Love This Forum!

Thought I might as well put it back together.  It's not that I don't have new gaskets.............Rotated the drive washer until I found the sweet spot.  I have a special place in my Cox Engine parts box for those W's, but this one is staying put.  Compression like you expect a Cox engine to have. Turns out I can use that reed after-all.  P-51 body is another story.  Nightmare comes to mind.

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014410
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014411
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014409
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:41 pm

It cleaned up real nice Bob, excellent job like always!

I think I have mylar reed in one of my red postage stamp reedies and it works well. Maybe I had to sand off a tad of the diameter of  the mylar reed to fit?

I also prefer genuine beryllium reeds but those become rather rare.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:22 am

I have to ask as to what the attraction is to the copper reed?  These reeds do work, they have a fairly good lifespan if used daily. But, they're damage extremely easy and they also are responsible for the green goo. This style reed is the first one which  out of all the design reeds glues itself to the backplate.  This will ultimately require tearing down. The ears of this style reed gets damaged just by the circlip. Even carefully trying to remove it can damage it.  The reed really needs to have the freedom to move under the clip. If not, the reed gets sucked into the venturi opening which deforms and distorts it eventually. Many times I've discovered just from the suck and blow test this style will pass air when really put to the test. This could be due to a variety of issues but the main issue is that even the smallest crease which most would think is superficial detracts from it's performance.

Ron once asked on here and also requested from whomever to post the setup in which one can fly a reedie in the inverted position continuously without sagging or quitting. I have to admit, I have dozens of these engines and out of all of them maybe 3-4 work to the level that Ron requested. It all comes down to stopping air leaks. If the reed is leaking or passing air in either or direction, it's not functioning correctly and performance suffers. I've found that the only way to test this properly is using a 5oz. syringe. A two ounce syringe or smaller doesn't generate enough vacuum. My Mighty Vac used for brake bleeding works well as one can see it leaking via the gauge.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:16 pm

I have tried all the different types of reeds save roddies computer floppies and I just can't get the same performance, and ease of starting that I get out of the originals.  But you bring up good points.  They dent easy, breed green/blue goo and can get sticky.  Cleaning the "ear's" can get dicey.

It doesn't seem that Cox would replace a winner with something less, unless the metal/mylars were cheaper to produce.  I remember Fred posting that he tried to save his.  I do the same cleaning them as carefully as I can.

The one pictured above was in very good condition, I just put it back in as is.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:03 pm

International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifies beryllium as a Group 1 carcinogen (carcinogenic to humans) This probably has more to do with shy they stopped using them as well.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:56 pm

Ken Cook wrote:                International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifies beryllium as a Group 1 carcinogen (carcinogenic to humans) This probably has more to do with shy they stopped using them as well.

I just watched the Smithsonian's channel - aerial cities.  Baton Rouge Mississippi River south to the Gulf called cancer alley due to all the oil refinerys there and the holding tanks of waste that leach into the atmosphere.  Amazing view from the air and somewhat concerning.  

The P-51 came without a bell crank or elevator rod.  Modified an existing "Perfect" bell crank and cut a rod.  Original bell crank was plastic on a post.  I had to bush the post otherwise the elevator would have cut into it.   Got to find a proper prop and spinner and add decals.

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014413
Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014412

Engine a solid fit once I found out which way was up.  Sad

Edit add:

Ah ha!  

Cox P-51 postage stamp engine clean-up P1014414

Ok, half an Ah ha.  

Worked up a parts list with CI when I thought - I have to have spinners............ Ya, but I'm missing the stud.  Sad  Had the correct prop though.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down