Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Nemesis Cox_ba12

The Nemesis Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Today at 11:03 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 10:41 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Nemesis Empty
Live on Patrol

The Nemesis

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Nemesis Empty The Nemesis

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:35 am

After a recent post discussion on here, I pictured some of my Fox Combat specials. I decided that some of the pistons in these engines needed a little exercise so I framed up a Nemesis. All of my modern fast combat planes are foamies. This was a bit of a twist and I always wanted to build one. This was a kit but in my opinion it needed a lot of help which almost changed my mind on finishing it. The wood selection offered some very weak parts. The stab was trash canned and some of the ribs and sheeting needed replacing. The motor mount area was horrid and needed extensive beefing up. In addition, you need to dowel the motor mounts together on these planes when running high powered engines. You also should pin the engine mount to the bellcrank platform or at least provide a engine containment cable to avoid having the engine come off from vibration or a mid air. Now most would think what is the big deal. I will take a picture when I can of the Super Tiger that exited mid flight and hit a trash dumpster over 100 yds away.

I plan on covering this with pink silk on the wings and yellow silk on the tail. The weather is too cold to dope currently but I hope to be able to get some done this week.

The Nemesis Dscn3123
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

The Nemesis Empty Re: The Nemesis

Post  rdw777 Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:17 am

Nice Ken, I’ll be taking notes on the silk work…. All I’ve ever done is used it for reinforcements here and there…

I can’t imagine that much of an engine getting loose…. Certainly wouldn’t want to be in its way!!!
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:54 am

I'm certainly not good at silk, I like it's strength. I really wasn't happy with the wood quality of the kit. If your making a combat model, strength is important. There's a lot to be said about the older die cut kits. I'm really not a fan of the laser kits. Charred edges don't take glue well and the wood selection is always punky.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:15 pm

Well now this looks real interesting, I'm gonna be following along on this build for sure..Do post dumpster carnage pics!
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:00 pm

Nice looking start to the build Ken Thumbs Up nice combat lines.
As always good tips and advide for others building; The dowells for the engine mounts and the cable from the mounts to the bellcrank or pinnining the engine mounts to the bellcrank platform make great sense. With all the pull tets and such things can fail still and its only a containment strategy that stops it becoming free! Great idea and advice. Thumbs Up
Look foward to the rest of the build. cheers sunny

GaryB
'Yabby'
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:38 pm

Built and flew a couple of those Nemesis back in the day. Really a great combat design and flyer. All mine used Super Tigres . My last Fox powered ship was a Big Iron with a .35X with the needle bearings.
                                                                         Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:13 am

Hi Ken,

That Nemasis is a nice looking plane.

I was looking at old plans and came across,
Wiley Wooten's original Voodoo. Looking at the plans, it scares me ! Just looking at the plans !
I have some OSFX.25s, that have only tasted a bit of %25nitro.
9-4 prop at +16K, with muffler easy. Is this anywhere close to the hp you run on these planes?

I thought Combat pilots were somehow far superior at flying those 'twitchy' planes....
Now I learn,
Get the CG right,
Mere mortals,
Might have a chance...
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:03 am

Dave, the Voodoo is pretty old school. I built a nice one for vintage combat a few years back powered with a BB G.21/.35 Super Tiger.The Voodoo was effective for it's time. It slows a bit in the corners, Riley's Sneaker in my opinion flew much better. The Voodoo was designed for .35's using a hard tank. Not very long after it's introduction came the .35X and .36X's which ran better using pacifiers. The Voodoo has a fairly thin airfoil and this is when the pods were being placed onto the wing to allow room for the pacifiers. I've managed to get a rocket tube inside of mine and I've extended the booms.

As for the OS FX .25, that's a powerful .25. I use them in speed limit combat but our speed limit is 75 mph. I use the FX .25 with a 8x4 prop and a necked down venturi but it still becomes a handful to tame it into the speed limit. I have a few fast combat planes in which as told to me initially is that the FX .25 weighs the same as the Nelson .36. Use the FX to trim out your fast and using it on 52' lines will offer near same speed as the Nelson. The New England combat flyers fly a different form of speed limit combat in which is 80 mph. The FX works very well for this.

In addition, the cost of the FX is or I should say was quite high. The Magnum XLS .25 is a direct copy of that engine which cost less and I found it to be superior to the OS. Currently, I have 4 FX .25's with the liners that have peeled. Now, they're still running but probably not 100%. The piston liners for the FX's are quite expensive. The other problem with running ball bearing engines is if you stuff it in the ground. You can't just fire up a ball bearing engine without totally screwing it up. A bushed engine just requires a quick syringe flush whereas a BB engine needs to be taken apart and flushed.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:31 am

I also did the extended boom thing with the Voodoo, it helped but the Sneaker was a better flyer. I used the ST. Combat and the ST G21 .35 on them. Also built and flew the Demon, the Raunchy, and a bunch of local designs. Everyone was going high aspect ratio crazy and even though they turned tight with good speed retention they were a bit fragile. The Nemesis was stronger and had a superb airfoil. Some of the Fox combat engines had drive washers that looked like a cup that covered over the front bearing. It helped keeping dust out of the bearing and keeping the string from the streamers from tangling in the front bearing / drive washer area.
        Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:47 am

Hi Ken,
I learned allot, from your post,
Thanks.
I have seen the F2Ds go at the Balsa Beaver field. Scares me.
No way I could fly with them. (I like watching!)
I also do not like 'level laps' between 'stunts' in a Stunt contest.
I like just a sport flight. If I try a cloverleaf, it will be mid tank. Smile
I agree on the MagXLS.25. The Mag XLS.15 is a beauty too.
We ran 15% on our OSFX.25s. Never saw a liner peel.
Most got 'dirtnapped' too!
I am curious,
How much more power does one of your 'big block' .35/.40s put out,
To an OSFX.25 @9-4 and ~16K. ?
Twice as much?

I am looking for a 36in span, .25 power, 60ft line 'Sport Flyer'...
I am learning about CL Combat wings,
And, I like it...
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:34 am

Hey Dave. Try to get one of those F2D planes off the guys. I keep getting broken ones for free. It is the same guys that go to Toronto and Dresden. The 80 mph combat on 60 ft lines they use a .25 like Ken. The F2D is a .15. I have one of the Fora .15s and it is great, just slightly out of control, the way I like it. They go very well with an LA .15 and even better with the blue head XLS .15 on 52 ft. lines. I just fly them by myself. The guys are pretty serious and intimidating for beginners to just jump in now. I was spectating at the combat matches in the mid 1970s when I flew speed, and these are the same guys now with more practise. They are great guys though and will help you if you want it. The F2D planes are much better flyers than the stuff from the 1950s, and don't always break when you stuff them into the ground. (midairs go to powder) There is also the Russian/Ukranian 1/2A models too that are more modern than the old stuff. Also a foam one from the US if the guy is still making them. He is still active, but is a bit older than me I think. The Yuvenkos are ARFs and about $50. Things are thrown off now but there may be some separate ones you can get from the guys, not just a pack of ten. Alan
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Michpatriot Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:24 pm

aspeed wrote:Hey Dave.  Try to get one of those F2D planes off the guys.  I keep getting broken ones for free.  It is the same guys that go to Toronto and Dresden.  The 80 mph combat on 60 ft lines they use a .25 like Ken.  The F2D is a .15.  I have one of the Fora .15s and it is great, just slightly out of control, the way I like it.  They go very well with an LA .15 and even better with the blue head XLS .15 on 52 ft. lines. I just fly them by myself.  The guys are pretty serious and intimidating for beginners to just jump in now.  I was spectating at the combat matches in the mid 1970s when I flew speed, and these are the same guys now with more practise.  They are great guys though and will help you if you want it.  The F2D planes are much better flyers than the stuff from the 1950s, and don't always break when you stuff them into the ground. (midairs go to powder) There is also the Russian/Ukranian 1/2A models too that are more modern than the old stuff.  Also a foam one from the US if the guy is still making them.  He is still active, but is a bit older than me I think.  The Yuvenkos are ARFs and about $50.  Things are thrown off now but there may be some separate ones you can get from the guys, not just a pack of ten. Alan

Man Id love to lay hands on one of those Yuvenko 1\2a wings..think anybody might have one at Toledo?
Michpatriot
Michpatriot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:17 pm

Hi Alan(aspeed)
All the CL Combat people I have met, are really great.
I figured that they all have magical wrists, that can somehow get a 'twitchy' plane to fly straight.
I am learning here, that a CL Combat plane might be fun to fly, just for fun.
The F2D engines do scare me, (in a very strange hypnotic way...)
Balsa Beaver field is over an hour away.
Dresden is a camping trip, on my bucket list.
I get all the new 'tech' stuff...
I have some balsa that needs building...
A local 'speed shop', can get me nitro and methanol. BeNol is easy.
I am half the way there...
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:58 pm

Toledo may have something in the swap area. I got a foam 1/2A one and an old foam slow combat there. Some Toronto guys sleep over at the Beanfield. I did a couple times to test out the bed in the van, and save the 1 1/4 hr drive. How much and where is this nitro? Once in a while the old fast combats go. Never really seen a match, but let go of one with a Nelson. Pretty noisy. I really think the F2D ones may be as much fun. I ran an old style K&B .40 on a slow combat and thought it was pretty good. Lots of pull and seemed fast for two flights, then powder.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:58 pm

Hi aspeed,

No price on the nitro/meth yet. Off season.
Need to find glass containers.
Used in one of the Kart racing classes, I believe...
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:15 am

As of the other day, I completed the covering. This has consumed a lot of dope. There's probably close to 10-11 coats on it now with at least another 2 needed. I covered the wing first with a reinforced silkspan. I have no idea what this stuff is but it's hard to tear. I did it for two reasons, one being the effect, the other is that it would assist in filling the weave of the silk. It now has made this wing a flying battering ram. The wing can hardly flex when trying to twist. This concerns me a bit in the event I have to do a little heat and warping. In addition, I see due to switching to taughtening dope that the leading edge is starting to "Horse starve". Hopefully when I switch to Sig Lite Coat it somewhat helps the shrinking subside. I used plasticizer in the dope. The leading edge and nacelle will be black as well as the tail booms.

I replaced the stab due to the wood being the crappiest stuff I ever seen. This somewhat puzzles me because kit manufacturers must think many of us are naive. I may have mentioned this above. The last thing you want is a stab that's going to cup due to improper wood selection. It's a combat plane which means it could possibly be subjected to a prop strike. You want dense and hard in this application.  My father built a Jr.Nobler in and around 1962, I have some of the yellow silk left from this build. I covered the tail with it. I found this silk to be much more friendly in terms of covering than the pink which I received a few years back. It sanded clean and didn't rack when laying it onto the piece. The pink was a nightmare as it would pull in every direction.

The Nemesis Dscn3134        The silkspan underneath has some reinforcing fibers within it

The Nemesis Dscn3133
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:00 am

Love how it turned out Ken!….Modern tech and materials have their place but old school is just classy… Smooth….Colors go great as well….. Good job sir!!!
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:55 am

That looks awesome, nice work
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 am

What do you think is in that silkspan I read where the silk in made from plant fibers , didn't know that but that looks like a kind of glass fiber ? It has a funk look but strong look too . Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:59 am

My son said that the silkspan uses natural fibers. I will say it fairly good strength dry. When it was wet, I had to be careful. When it was doped, I could bounce stuff off it. This has been a neat project and I can't wait to see it fly. I always wanted to build one. It somewhat reminds me a little of the Midwest Matador. I've owned 3 Matadors. I have one kit left and I think it's calling me. Props for my Combat Specials are becoming harder to find.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:49 pm

What props did they use? I thought an 8-8. Should be an APC that size, unless fiberglass ones were the thing later on. I might want to try a .40 on a slow combat plane that has been sitting around for a number of years, and might need a guideline for a prop. Isn't silkspan made from cotton?
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:38 pm

A 8x8 is a bit much and it really loads the engine. I had a bunch of Rev-Up 8 1/2 x 7 and 8 1/2 x 6 props which are all wood. They tend to break every now and then. I'm on my last few. The problem with the APC is that they don't make the correct size hub on the 8x8 or the 8x6 for this engine. I believe the big hub is the D-2 which is found on the 7.8x6. I use that prop but they discontinued the original shape and now offer a real thin version which doesn't work as well. Master Airscrew is out because of the reliefs on the back of the hub. I was using a sport version APC 8x8 on the engine I'm putting on this plane and it threw a blade. The crankshaft broke and it went on a very spectacular shaft run. I contacted APC in regards to this and they assured me that the prop I was using was well within the rpm limits of my engine. However, they did say they can't control ground strikes. I can assure you I didn't hit the ground ever and not even landing. One needs to look at the prop after flying. The blades develop white stress marks because the blade is pulling off of the hub.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:24 pm

Finally, decent weather to get some spraying done. I got the black trim on the Nemesis, the stab received multiple clear coats over the yellow silk. Looking forward to getting it in the air.
                            The Nemesis Dscn3137
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:20 pm

I bet that it will fly as good as it looks Ken. I like the nice crisp lines.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:23 am

Paint came out Nice she is shiny !
getback