Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Cox_ba12

hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Empty Re: Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 13, 2023 12:14 pm

I find it interesting that Andrew, Rod's friend down under uses no nitro fuel on his Cox. I never tried this before, because use of no nitro fuel is virtually unheard of in the circles (pun intended) I flew with, all used nitro to varying degrees, due to its availability here in the Continent. Also, I didn't know it was possible. It also may explain why Andrew had good success flying his powered glider creation. Under reduced power helped it to match up with the reduced wing area.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Empty Re: Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL

Post  layback209 Sat May 13, 2023 12:18 pm

Oh wow is there some exiting stuff going on with these hand bomb foamies. lol!

Thanks for connecting with thd builder, oldenginerod.  

I actually found one of these foamies things in our shed yesterday.

Here is another photo of the stiffening and control layout.

hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Screen20

I kinda want to build a pile of these and hand them out / get folks in the air when the public stops to chat with us when we are flying.
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Empty belcrank on cg?

Post  cmulder Sat May 13, 2023 2:23 pm

Never designed a cl model before so would like to know if the cg for cl models is the same as "free flight"?
The one sold by lidl glides well with about 5g added weight resulting in a cg 30mm from the leading edge.
Is that where the bellcrank (the goldberg 1/2A one) should be mounted?
And then have the leadout guide the same spacing as the bellcrank ?
I am wondering if the long strip "spar" can be replaced with glassfibre tape and then the whole wing/fuse with thin clear packing tape.
(like the "ZAGI" used to be)

Might get a third one and just "give it a go" like the natives here like to say
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat May 13, 2023 2:54 pm

cmulder wrote:Never designed a cl model before so would like to know if the cg for cl models is the same as "free flight"?
The one sold by lidl glides well with about 5g added weight resulting in a cg 30mm from the leading edge.
Is that where the bellcrank (the goldberg 1/2A one) should be mounted?
And then have the leadout guide the same spacing as the bellcrank ?
I am wondering if the long strip "spar" can be replaced with glassfibre tape and then the whole wing/fuse with thin clear packing tape.
(like the "ZAGI" used to be)

Might get a third one and just "give it a go" like the natives here like to say
Control line planes are normally a bit more nose heavy than RC or FF. Maybe 20% of the chord. The leadouts can be fairly close together, maybe 10mm or so, any closer they could maybe bind with each other. Not so important to have them too far apart as when doing stunts the back one will bank out more than the other direction banking in. (bad) Start about half way back to allow for the line drag. Where the bellcrank is mounted is not as important as the leadout guide, but halfway in the chord is fine, mostly just so it will not bind or bend the leadouts too far. My flea fright one was very tail heavy and did not fly well. I put a bolt in the front for nose weight and then it seemed like it needed more dihedral. May be better to be control line. Never tried the cheaper white foam one, not sure if I have one, may have to search. I have some of the bigger ones, and had considered electric. I like the option of aborting the landings, and we have a height limit here of 400 ft. For the strip stiffening the wing, IDK if the fiberglass tape would make a lot of strength difference because the wing is pretty thin. I thought maybe the birch edge banding strips for shelves might be something to try. It is the iron on type. Of course you could try it with nothing and see if it is needed. What is the worst that could happen? Lose a bit of glue or $7?
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat May 13, 2023 11:43 pm

These can be found with a little online searching for next to nothing on price.

Here's a site:  Foamy Glider

The foam is not the typical expanded styrene, but the more flexible material.

hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Anko_f10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun May 14, 2023 1:04 am

As promised, here's more shots of the plane.  

hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Img_2069
hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Img_2071
hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Img_2070
hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Img_2072
hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Img_2073
hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Img_2074
hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Img_2075
hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Img_2076
hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Img_2077
hwere to buy foam - Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL - Page 2 Img_2078

As I recall, nose was cut off square 95mm from the tip.  Engine has no offset.  
Note the two pegs on the rear of the engine mount in the drawing.  These slot into corresponding holes in the fuse and everything is glued with 5 minute Epoxy.  Rudder has a little offset as pictured.

Landing gear is just sandwiched between two pieces of ply and glued into a slot cut in the lower half of the fuse.  Andrew tells me that this thing has smacked the ground very hard on a few occasions and has come out completely unscathed.  I had a theory that the gear would snag the grass and break the fuse in half- That hasn't happened.

The effect of Nitro on the foam hasn't been tested as Andrew uses no Nitro.  Otherwise, fuel has so far had no ill effects on the foam.

Note wing and stab have ply bracing. Bellcrank mount appears recessed into the wing and Andrew says it's located one third way back from the leading edge.

Elevators are joined with a piece of bent wire and hinged on stadard type Du-Bro hinges. Not a ply tail skid has been added. Note that excess material from the removed nose has been carved to neatly fill the upper stabiliser slot.  Apparently a small amount of lead has been added to the tail.  If the same dimensions were used, maybe a 5cc Babe Bee tank would balance just right rather than Andrew's 8cc one.

Many at Andrew's club were sceptical and gave him a hard time when he first tried to explain the concept.  His maiden flight shut them up.
It is very light, very stable, very aerobatic, very cheap and very durable.  What more could you ask for??
His comment was also that because balsa is getting harder to source, this isn't a bad alternative.

Here's a challenge guys. Who'll be the first on CEF to complete and demonstrate their own version?

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2