Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How long will your models last? Cox_ba12

How long will your models last? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 10:11 am

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How long will your models last? Empty
Live on Patrol

How long will your models last?

Go down

How long will your models last? Empty How long will your models last?

Post  944_Jim Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:33 am

I ask because the SH crowd builds for forever. Well, not quite for ever, but they share stories of their 20 year old models holding up. They are accomplished/competitive fliers, so keeping a good tool sharp is in their repertoire. That certainly isn't me.

I didn't like the way my BHM Mossie died, and wished for several more flights before it crashed. I did like the model overall, and accepted the short flights and minimal, but furious "wing-overs." Same for my Scientific P-40 (the big one). I did take notes during their builds so I will endeavor to not make the same mistakes on follow-on models.

I'm pleased to build, and pleased to fly...I try not to break down over a destructive crash. After all, I build for the joy of creation. But if this isn't flying art with a limited lifespan, then I'll run out of room for the next model.

What about you?

Last edited by 944_Jim on Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How long will your models last? Empty Re: How long will your models last?

Post  balogh Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:30 am

I build and fly RC planes, where risks due to pilot error leading to unwanted landings/re-kitting are further aggravated by failures of on-board electronics - most often, servos -, so an RC bird is more likely to suffer damages than a C/L, IMHO.

Yet, my oldest COX powered RC models in the crowd - like the Roaring 20, the Lil Roughneck, the Toucan - are 6-8 years old. ( I returned to the hobby 13 years ago, so these birds survived more than half of my latest hobby history.)

Some are a bit battered, because balsa is easy to repair, but not always without aesthetic consequences...Building a RC plane is probably more time consuming than a 1/2A size C/L, so I am more motivated to repair than to rebuild from scratch...

balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How long will your models last? Empty Model life

Post  706jim Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:46 am

I disagree about R/C models being more likely to crash due to equipment failure. Modern R/C gear is extremely reliable. But here's the difference: A control line airplane is flying REALLY close to the ground and normally the engine can't be shut off or throttled. So to me, flying at high speeds at low altitudes is more likely to see crashes. Besides, how many fliers get bored going around in circles and try a figure 8? Those never ended well for me!
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:05 am

Well, Jim, your assessment that modern RC gear are extremely reliable is to be seen in the context that I crashed more airplanes due to servo IC failures, poor servo plug connections, micro switch connectivity failures etc than due to my pilot error..those reliable RC gears - with the exception of my Futaba radio- are mainly made in a large Far Eastern country - name is not mentioned for pc reasons- from where I would not buy anything more complex than a can of apricot or a T-shirt, if I had alternate sources...and the RC gear quality from that origin more often sucks than not...just my experience, yours may differ
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:06 pm

You don't wanna know how long my airplanes will last... Very Happy I don't do much flying. I can't really explain why. I will say that I love designing/building. I'm already thinking about starting another build.. and my most recent one's paint isn't even finished yet.

That said; when I design/build.. I try to build longevity into the airframe. I enjoy taking extra time for example; to "pin" a fin/vertical stab. to prevent it from snapping-off, if accidentally bumped from the side. Taking the time to install control linkages which are mounted securely and operate smoothly.

There are a myriad of useful tips that members have shared here on CEF and that I've applied to my models and their engines. There's often a better way to do something.. and I usually go for it. It's usually something that's not necessarily noticeable.. but I know it's there.

I build my models with the feeling that someone (hopefully another modeler..) might possess them after I pass away.. and will appreciate them as I did.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:09 pm

If the R/C is purchased brand name from a reliable source, then most likely one will have trouble free operation. However, have found that even if brand name but sold very cheap from an Internet auction, have received faulty equipment, especially in servos.

Brand name I bought, Futuba made in Japan, Ace R/C in US were extremelly reliable, even if their entry level electronics.

Back 40 years ago, I bought generic servos from Indy R/C. Even though cheap without labels, it was reliable.

But, as of late, buying cheap stuff off an auction site was basically taking a crap shoot. Some 6 years ago, a friend purchased 9 in.oz. servos that were labeled same as on Hobby King, but cheap from the Orient. All had bad electronics, would not maintain center. I offered to try out a few on my radio, same problem.

If you buy, buy from a decent hobby center. At least they will prescreen before they buy and stock, which helps to eliminate the bad stuff. Internet auction, even if a seller has a good rating doesn't mean what you get will be good stuff.

Are your toy planes worth the sacrifice on cheap radio equipment? I think not, but that is for you to decide.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:45 am

Good question Jim, I like to think of mine as simple and cheap (relatively) so if we break them from time to time just a good excuse to repair and figure out the problem or build another…. If they happen to live a long life, that’s great….I try and do good maintenance in the shop to give best chance….. I enjoy flying and take the risks associated with it…. Keeps it exciting!!….

Mauricio posted some info on small, cheap servos weak points awhile back so I heeded that to try and eliminate failures in those areas…. The problem area was the lead connection to the driver board….These servos weren’t designed for the high frequency vibration our engines produce…. I open the cases and re-solder the cable to the lands, and also shorten the cable as necessary to reduce wire clutter….Put a glob of silicone on that area before putting it back together….. Gears are also inspected and lubed at this time if necessary …

How long will your models last? 5cceee10

Ace R/C servo kits recommended to “burn in”  a new servo by powering up and going thru multiple cycles…. Better yet was to buy their servo cycler and do it automatically…. This helped to seat the wipers in the feedback pot (potentiometer) properly…. Also, a current range was given to be expected as normal…

I still do similar today with a cheap servo cycler to help run in and test servos…. A current meter can be inserted between the alligator clips in the setup in the photo… An analog meter works best… The numbers on a digital meter jump around too much while it is cycling…. Current is noted and can be compared in the future to see if any trends are developing…If one servo is out of line with the others it’s suspect….The test set up can help see if control linkages are free as well…..Doesn’t mean there won’t be, but no cheapy servo failures yet in three 1/2A types I actively fly….

How long will your models last? 8740b910
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:59 am

Yes, Robert, I agree, you should be sleeping on your toes with nowaday's servos, the brand-name means different quality today from what it meant in the past...just like with almost everything else in the modern consumer goods world where reliability and quality are compromised to price.

Answering George's question whether your airplane is worth the risk imposed by the el-cheepo radiogear, I have not too much choice from the very limited number of hobby shops still alive in my region, so I tend to go to ebay or similar, where most everything comes from China and maybe this tells you all...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

How long will your models last? Empty Model life

Post  706jim Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:47 pm

This story is a bit off topic, but I figured I'd share it. I had been flying models for quite a few years when I came across a former WW2 pilot working at the local employment center. He asked if I was one of the kids flying C/L in the schoolyard close to his place. Told him yes and he said to drop over to his place that evening. (This was the summer of 1971) When I got there I could see he had been modelling for many years and he gave me a bunch of planes including a partially finished Berkeley Navion, a duel rotor autogyro, control line stunters free flights and more. When I got them home I realized that they didn't mean that much to me because I had never built them. I did fly a few of them and kept two of them in my mother's summer camp. One of them is there to this day and that must make it probably 60 years old. So they CAN last a long time. One of the C/L planes there looked sort of like a half size Nobler. I fitted it with an Enya 15 and flew it a couple of times, then hung it up next to the one mentioned earlier.

One spring some jerk broke into the summer camp and stole the plane.

Oh well..

Years later I was crawling under said summer camp to repair a leaking water line and I discovered.....

The remains of the yellow Nobler. The thief SMASHED the plane to pieces to get the engine.

Kind of like cutting the tongue out of a buffalo and leaving the rest to rot.

So in answer to the OP question, models can have a very short or very long life and this story just goes to show what life's experiences can bring.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:07 pm

Jim, that is a rather sad story, the thief was definitely destructive. Back in early 1970's, I remember thieves breaking into the Civil Defense Tunnel entrance next door to our Waianae Civil Air Patrol Squadron meeting area, a room in a WW2 concrete former naval gun implacement, facility located between Maile and Nanakuli villages. They set fire to some high voltage insulated cabling stored temporarily there in the tunnel by the state government. They were interested in selling the copper wiring, such an expensive waste.

Can't say reason, but could imagine the thief was interested in quick cash, like a lot of the thefts these days.

balogh wrote:Answering George's question whether your airplane is worth the risk imposed by the el-cheepo radiogear, I have not too much choice from the very limited  number of hobby shops still alive in my region, so I tend to go to ebay or similar, where most everything comes from China and maybe this tells you all...
András, you are your best advisor in your situation. I speak from where I am at, because those are the purchasing channels available to us. There are good dealers on Internet auctions, even our Cox International and Ex Model Engines do business there. Of the dealers you purchase from, I imagine you have found those whom you can trust.

You are correct, it is not like days prior. Prior to the Internet, I purchased from local dealers and from advertisers in the various modelling magazines. At least those seemed to be reliable.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Chemman Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:53 pm

How long? Back in the day, when I was a teen, my friend and I flew every week. Now these were 1/2A c/l planes. We flew on the weekends and spent the weekdays repairing what we broke. Not pretty, but they flew. Harold built a few made with hot glue (before Superglue existed). I built a flying coffee can. They were cheap but fun.
I came to realize that the larger the plane, the less likely they were to survive a crash. There's that thing called inertia. Once the front of the plane stops abruptly, the back of the plane is still trying to move forward. 1/2A planes are lightweight. They hold together when they crash. The class C ships fold like an accordian. As I get older I am more bold with my c/l stunts. Sometimes I cut the grass at the bottom of a loop, but lately they have all survived.
Chemman
Chemman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:26 am

This question isn't easy to answer. 1/2A models are prone to cartwheel landings and engine issues. Racing planes are subjected to probably the hardest use. They need to be built very rugged. Combat planes goes without saying. Stunt planes due to the maneuvers can be demolished from the time the plane is released. My oldest plane which I just sold was 46 years old still in very flyable condition aside from the nose being oil soaked a little. It also depends on how much you fly. One would be surprised that if they recorded how many flights they actually flew and how many they thought they flew. The number of flights they thought they flew would be grossly exaggerated.

If you fly competitively and something falls off of your plane, your disqualified. This means anything, even a wheel collar. It's important to inspect the plane which very few do. I've seen mufflers fly into the pits, tip weight boxes exit the wing due to not being tight. Many planes have crashed because of negligence of the person flying it. I witnessed a down line that broke this past weekend. This shouldn't be happening. If you pull test properly, this is very unlikely. Once again, no one is doing this because they feel the need not to. Inspecting your handle cable for frays and your flying lines for breaks, kinks, and curls. All of this essential to the longevity of your plane.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:43 am

Hi 944 Jim,
Nice question !
I basicly, 'chuckyeager' them. (obvious attempt at a new verb ! Smile )
I have a plane. Build another 'better' one.
I fly the heck out of the old one, to find the aerodynamic limits/my flying skills.
I actually have 'crashed' really lousy flying planes, just because I needed the engines/R/C stuff for the next one.
That is just me.
Your results may vary...
Actually,
I think, I like, being a crash investigator.
Not for the last one,
But,
The next one...
Worked for the Wright Brothers, Why not me?
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:41 am

my last three CL flights were crashes. Three Half-A beginners ringmasters solidly tent pegged. each on their first flight. each crashed the exact same way doing a lazy eight the third time in the flight.

Tomorrow I fly again. Flight plan: hand launched, 4 level laps, one wingover, one level lap, one loop, two level laps, one lazy eight, fly out tank with level laps.

Crashed those three on one day. It was absolute carnage. Heres hoping tomorrow is the end of this little spate of insanity Very Happy
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:49 am

Yabby wrote:...........
Crashed those three on one day. It was absolute carnage. Here's hoping tomorrow is the end of this little spate of insanity Very Happy  

Perseverance and practice -- you'll get your flights knocked out in no time.

How long will your models last? Downlo10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:06 am

The little yellow Honker in my avatar is 40+ years old.  It was set up with a Futaba Attack 4 AM radio on Ch 18, two Futaba S133 servos (pricey for my budget at the time), 4 cell nicads and Black Widow (since replaced with a NORVEL .061).  It's been in a corn field, a tree and two flat spins that pancaked it (my thumbs were doing the jitterbug on the sticks to no avail).

Like some of Kim's planes, it has some wear and tear, but remains one of my favorites.

OTOH, I had a coroplast delta that lasted about 10 seconds -- it seems the cheaper the plane, the more reckless I become. Smile Someone asked what happened -- my answer: I ran out of talent!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:02 pm

andrew wrote:
you'll get your flights knocked out in no time.

Ummm, interesting choice of words. Yabby has knocked out three already! Laughing

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:46 pm

944_Jim wrote:
andrew wrote:
you'll get your flights knocked out in no time.

Ummm, interesting choice of words. Yabby has knocked out three already! Laughing

LOL!!  You're right -- perhaps I should have reconsidered my wording.  Substitute "lined out" for "knocked out". Surprised
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:30 am

lol! I Love This Forum! knocked out, lined out, all aply. lol!
got through today with only one crash from four flights. yay. 😂 flew many lazy eights with my coreflute plain. last flight going back over from inverted it came back at me heaps and I had to take a number of fast back steps to save it. saved it. then thought why did it come back at me so badly? so I took a look at the windsock and whilst not looking what I was doing, pancacked it into the ground. lol. luckily the wheels took the impact and they bent but no other damage other than pride. 🙂 I dont think my poor planes stand a chance at the moment. funny, no one at the club is saying hey Gary try flying my plane lol!
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down