Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Cox_ba12

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:37 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Empty
Live on Patrol

a small clunk (fuel pick-up)

Go down

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Empty a small clunk (fuel pick-up)

Post  roddie Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:15 pm

I made this little fuel cell clunk from some small (3/32" OD X 1/16" ID) Silicone tubing that I sourced from Amazon.com, a 1/8 oz. "worm weight" (fishing item) drilled-out.. and a short piece (5/16"L.) of 3/32" dia. alloy tubing. This forms a "compression-fit" when assembled.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Small_12

The "final" drill used is a 7/64" (I needed to start with a 1/16" and increase in succession)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Empty Re: a small clunk (fuel pick-up)

Post  andrew Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:41 pm

Nicely done!!

I'll confess that I'm much more lazy making clunks. Start with good flexible silicon tubing with a brass tube inserted in the end; add 1 or 2 wheel collars over the brass tubing leaving a little tubing extended to suck up the last drop.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Empty Re: a small clunk (fuel pick-up)

Post  944_Jim Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:18 pm

Roddie,
Care to share the vendor and manufacturer/part number? You may have nailed a new fuel line source for our small planes.

Thanks in advance!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:57 am

944_Jim wrote:Roddie,
Care to share the vendor and manufacturer/part number? You may have nailed a new fuel line source for our small planes.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jim, The brand is "Uxcell". I found this small size by accident. I was searching for 5/16" to plumb a little solar-powered water-pump for a hummingbird fountain/bath.

Price back in March 2023 was $6.49 for a 6.6 ft. length. Unchanged as of today.

Amazon web-link

and packaging..

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Amazon13

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Amazon12

This stuff is like al dente' thin spaghetti.. and I mean that in a good way.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:09 pm

I ended up making a fixture to drill-out the weights using my drill-press. It's a small block/pad of 15mm baltic ply into which I drilled a 1/4" thru-hole. I then tapered the top-side slightly for the 1/8 oz. worm-weight to fit into. The weight is then "tapped-in" squarely using a small hammer. This keeps the weight from spinning-out while drilling. The weight material (antimony?) is soft and sticky. This is why I needed to use four drills.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231111

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231112

To remove the weight, I use an awl inserted from the underside of the block/fixture.. and give it a light tap.

The drills "load-up" with the sticky chips even if performing pecking-strokes. This 1/16" drill is tool #1.. followed by a 5/64" then a 3/32" and finishing with the 7/64". The push-pin works great for cleaning chips from the drill flutes.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231110

The tapered "tip" of the weight is thin where the final (7/64") drill breaks-through.. and as a result; can become jagged. This is why an awl works well for removal from the fixture. I've been using an 80grit sanding-block to cut the tip back into thicker material for when the 3/32" alloy tube/pick-up is inserted with silicone tubing attached (doesn't need much.. maybe between 1/8" and 3/16"). The pick-up assembly gets pressed-into the weight from the TAPERED-SIDE.. and is a tight fit.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Small_14

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Small_13
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:01 pm

Here's my latest clunk with a 3/32" (OD) aluminum pick-up tube. It seems that a 3/8" length is plenty.. with approx. 1/8" length of silicone tubing attached.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Small_15

I drilled a 3/32 hole in the side of my fixture.. to aid in cutting an alloy tube to the correct length with a dremel/cut-off wheel.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) _093_a10

Pulling the silicone tubing through the nose of the weight from the backside.. stretches its diameter slightly smaller around the pickup assy. making it easier to press it into the weight.

Just an FYI.. Fabricating a 1/2oz. clunk-tank would yield a 14.7cc capacity..

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Small_16
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:54 pm

This is the tubing I've used before.  It's 14 AWG flexible silicone wire that the car boys use with the wire stripped out.  It's long lived and fuel proof.  The tank is a 35mm Fuji film can.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 100_0410
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:03 am

andrew wrote:This is the tubing I've used before.  It's 14 AWG flexible silicone wire that the car boys use with the wire stripped out.  It's long lived and fuel proof.  The tank is a 35mm Fuji film can.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 100_0410

That's a neat little set-up Andrew. I'll have to remember that. Another thing that I like about this Uxcell brand 1/16" tubing is that it will flow more liquid than some tubes with 3X the wall-thickness. Dubro sm. (#221) for example; has an OD of .150" and an ID of .042" giving it a wall-thickness of .054". The Uxcell's OD is .093" with an ID of .062" giving it a wall-thickness of .0155". It stretches-on nice and tight to a 3/32" hard-tube.. and won't pull-off. Removal requires a rolling/peeling action with a thumbnail.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:23 pm

Here's a prototype/proof of concept mock-up clunk-tank using the above-referenced components..

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu11

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu12

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu10

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu13

I have some squatty-versions (see photo below..) of similar plastic bottles on order which are .5 oz. capacity.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 1_5oz_10

I'm eager to test/fit these little bottles.. to see if my design can deliver positive results.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:44 pm

Well, isn't that ever neat. Great job and idea roddie! But I wonder if teh lead, or metal from the weight may play games with our glow fuel?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:16 am

NEW222 wrote:Well, isn't that ever neat. Great job and idea roddie! But I wonder if teh lead, or metal from the weight may play games with our glow fuel?

Hi Chancey, The weights are lead apparently. I was under the impression that lead weights/sinkers had been prohibited for angling (fishing) use because of lead's toxicity. It doesn't say "lead" anywhere on the package.. but does have a P65warningCA.. (like what's listed on many things that we touch/handle).

I'll be more aware to wash my hands after handling the weights.. especially before snacking or smoking cigarettes. I'll be 6 years off the cigarettes as of this Winter. Roddie

I know that lead was good for gasoline.. Very Happy
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:26 pm

I messed-around with smaller weights today. I bought a pkg. of 1/16 oz. worm weights when I bought the 1/8 oz. ones. I learned a bit about how to drill-thru them.. by trial and error. These smaller weights are for some even smaller tubing that I found on Amazon.

These 1/16th oz. weights are much smaller. I expected them to be harder to drill-thru.. but I made a tool from a 1/4" dia. hardwood dowel that I "pencil-sharpened" which prevents deformation when tapping the weight "down" into the fixture for drilling.. and also for extraction through the bottom of the fixture.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231113

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231114

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231115

I still need to use a sanding-block to shape the tapered-end.. but they're looking better.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231117

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231116

I'm hoping to come up with a tiny clunk-tank that works.. I'll probably reach out here; for some "beta-testers".. as soon as I get some .5 oz. tanks built.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Empty 15cc clear plastic bottles w/caps

Post  roddie Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:13 pm

The one dozen 15cc clear plastic bottles w/caps arrived early today (Amazon Prime) along with another package of the 3/32" X 1/16" silicone tubing.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231118

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Amazon14

Just a reminder.. that this silicone tubing's ID is .059" (sold as 1/16") which is significantly larger than the Dubro sm. size that I've been using for decades. This latest stuff I found is more fragile.. due to its wall-thickness. Some smaller tubing will be coming in a day or so. I want to see what works with these new bottles..

The new 15cc (.5 oz.) is the stubby on the right..

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231120

the above photo is deceiving.. when compared with a bottom view of the same bottles;

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231121

The cap comes with an insert/seal.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231122

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:56 pm

I'm digging your solution, Roddie. The working jig is wonderful!

The "fuel line" is in my wife's Amazon cart awaiting her selections. I hope you leave some for the rest of us. Shocked

Thanks for sharing the idea and materials list.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Empty small stuff..

Post  roddie Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:38 pm

944_Jim wrote:I'm digging your solution, Roddie. The working jig is wonderful!

The "fuel line" is in my wife's Amazon cart awaiting her selections. I hope you leave some for the rest of us. Shocked

Thanks for sharing the idea and materials list.

Jim! This is fun.. as well as challenging. It's just another example of my fascination with miniature stuff.

Some fabrication done.. but plenty more to do..

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu16

Forget about drilling holes in the cap.. I used a pc. of brass tubing as a punch with a block of Pine wood. Small hammers are good to have for small stuff.

The hole could have been cleaner because I'd already attempted to drill a hole. A standard twist-drill acts like a sheet-metal screw.. and actually twists a radial slot into the thin plastic.. rather than a clean hole. So I find a piece of tubing for a punch and proceed to "tap smartly" over the attempted drill-hole. Not bad. The "cap-seal" is foil-faced paper.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu15

Feed-line is on-center through the cap using an expansion/compression type of seal. There will be a vent and a fill-tube done in a similar way.. except I'm planning using smaller tubes.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu14

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu18

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu17

The clunk seems to work pretty well.. Note the position(s) of the orange sticker on the bottom of the bottle.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu19

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu20

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu21

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu22

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Sm_clu23
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Empty final assembly

Post  roddie Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:26 am

This has been a learning experience. The hard-tubes (all) are 3/32" copper. I used a short piece (.750") of 3/32" Aluminum tube and a pointed-tip on my soldering iron to melt holes through the cap.. which worked very well.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231124

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231125

The cap-seal got a re-make for the use of my 1/8" hole-punch. I used the same thickness coated-paper (.020") from Duracell battery packaging. and used a 15/16" circle-template to trace a new cap-seal.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231123

OCD... I cut the copper feed and vent tubes.. and soldered flat-washers on them which will bear-on the outside of the cap.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231128

I was reading Brad's (1/2Anut) comments in one of his fuel tank threads, mentioning how he dresses the ends of his hard-tubes to prevent premature wear in the silicone tubing. It was a good reminder for me.. especially with this small stuff.

The pick-up "tip" (below) is only about 5/16" long.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231126

Here's the final-assembly with cap off to show the inner detail.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231127

and cap on.. showing the soldered-washers on the feed and vent-tubes.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231129

Weight empty is 10gr.

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231130

Now that there's a method created; building subsequent tanks would go quickly. This one took a lot of time.. but there was a good amount of trial and error to account for that. I need to leak-test the design though.. before I make any more.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:26 am

Nice work on the tank Roddie….. Each step carefully thought thru and precisely worked out….I kinda like working on small finicky stuff too…. I bet the tank will serve well… Good job sir

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:36 pm

rdw777 wrote:Nice work on the tank Roddie….. Each step carefully thought thru and precisely worked out….I kinda like working on small finicky stuff too…. I bet the tank will serve well… Good job sir

Robert

Thank You Robert! Thumbs Up I'm curious to see how my "vent" works out. I was scratching my head wondering how to configure it..... Huh... So... the current arrangement features an internal "U" bend of Dubro sm. #221.. a 180 degree "tuck" into the cap-wall. It stays-put once the cap and bottle are assembled.. which can be verified via the clear PET bottle.

I'm not really that precise... but I do try to be careful.. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) Empty passes 1st leak-test

Post  roddie Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:02 pm

Today I "got around to" doing a leak-test on this little 15cc (.5oz.) bottle and screw-cap arrangement. I grabbed a 10ml (cc) syringe from my glow-fuel related box; chock full of glow-fuel-related stuff.. proceeded to fit some silicone tubing and brought it; along with the little bottle-tank, upstairs to the kitchen sink.

Here's a photo of how I connected the two..

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231131

test stands - a small clunk (fuel pick-up) 20231132

I connected the syringe to the "feed-line" tube to fill (tap water) and to also evacuate the water from the tank. It took 1.5 syringefuls of water to fill the bottle.

When disconnecting from the bottle; I was mindful to support the hard-tube by putting my thumb on the soldered-washer.. before pulling-off the syringe-tubing. This safeguards against pulling the hard-tube out of the bottle-cap. It's the way I set it up.. so I'm familiar with the limitations.

With my thumb over the bottles' feed-tube; I rotate it.. in an attempt to simulate abrupt, violent aerobatic maneuvers.. Shocked

There was no evidence of leakage.. however; this would not be a real-life scenario. A real-life scenario would be to fill through the vent.. and the feed-line would already be connected directly to the engines' NVA/carb.

If I were to alternately fill through the vent-tube.. I may have experienced some back-flow leakage following disconnection of the syringe. Shouldn't this condition reverse if there's a vacuum present in the venturi? The fill-tube is the only tube open to the atmosphere in this app.    

Here's a thought; try opening your needle-valve fully (very rich)... before fueling an external tank. If the tank has a 3rd tube (vent)... plug-it while introducing the fuel. Any air in the tank will purge through the feed-line and carb. When there's no more air; you'll "see" fuel start to flow through the feed-line and to the NVA/engine. At that point.. you should pinch-off and remove your fueling-bulb or syringe.. then reset your needle to where it should be for optimal running. The engine won't have to draw from the external tank.. because the feed-line from it will be fuel-purged..

Oh yea... when I evacuated the water, I just "drew-back" on the syringe.. which sucked-out about 2/3 of the tank. I disconnect and drain the syringe and reconnect. Drawing-back again empties the bottle.. and I mean emptied. I was surprised. The clunk works very nicely.

My little brain works so hard on these things.... Laughing but it's fun for me.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down